Back in The Air

mnewb1

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
M Newberry
It has been 7 years since I have flown. There was a confluence of events that caused it. Thought I was done for good. I started getting a bit of a bug last year, went back to Oshkosh. Got my BasicMed after that and last Saturday was the first time flying since 9/13/15. Went really well, old muscle memory was not too rusty. Went up again tonight. It’s good to be back.

Enjoy the Cherokee! Welcome to the skies ... again!:)

It has been 7 years since I have flown. There was a confluence of events that caused it. Thought I was done for good. I started getting a bit of a bug last year, went back to Oshkosh. Got my BasicMed after that and last Saturday was the first time flying since 9/13/15. Went really well, old muscle memory was not too rusty. Went up again tonight. It’s good to be back.
That's great. Love these stories. I was a grounded by life circumstances once and got the bug big time many years later. Many. Muscle memory wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. But there was that steering with the yoke instead of feet thing while taxiing.:frown2:

Congrats!!!

I just got back into GA flying and I’m having a blast! Have Fun!

Same exactly thing happened to me. My girlfriend at the time (now wife) bought me glider lessons for my birthday after a 20 year hiatus from getting my PPL. Sparked the addiction again, and now I spend all my spare money on airplanes...

You are doing very well to get it back after that long with no more total time than that. I think you probably have some natural ability.

Congrats! Did your CFI sign off on your biannual yet?

Great news! I haven't been up for about 7 years as well, but scheduled my 3rd class medical renewal this morning. I just quit due to lack of time with us starting a family but the kids (and wife) have been begging to go fly to I decided to knock the rust off.

Congrats! Did your CFI sign off on your biannual yet?
Not yet…he feels for every year off you should do one hour dual…but I think a couple more hours and he will sign…I’m ok with that

Reactions: WDD
Not yet…he feels for every year off you should do one hour dual…but I think a couple more hours and he will sign…I’m ok with that

I really hate that ideology. I have done BFRs for plenty of people. I can tell you I have has pilots not fly for 10 years and 2 hours be safe and proficient, I have has pilots that a current and fly a few times a year scare me to death. So when CFIs and pilots say 1 hour for every year is a bunch of Bull.

Great news! I haven't been up for about 7 years as well, but scheduled my 3rd class medical renewal this morning. I just quit due to lack of time with us starting a family but the kids (and wife) have been begging to go fly to I decided to knock the rust off.

Why didn't you do Basic Med?

Really. And the reasoning behind that? If you are proficient, you are proficient.

So, I took off 20 years, so I should have had a 20 hour Flight Review (they are no longer called BFR)???????? Hmm, so the 1.2 hour FR that I did was bogus?

Or conversely, if you fly 1 hour a year, you don’t NEED a flight review. Kewl!!

As for you Pinecone, 18.8 hrs, get’em scheduled… chop chop!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!! I crack myself up…

Have to get the same physical done either way, right?

Yes, pretty much, but it’s impossible to get a denial with Basic Med and no medical info goes to the FAA, so many of us choose not to play FAA medical roulette when there’s no need.

Yes, pretty much, but it’s impossible to get a denial with Basic Med and no medical info goes to the FAA, so many of us choose not to play FAA medical roulette when there’s no need.
Yeah I understand that side of it completely. If I had even one prescribed medication or other ongoing medical complication I'd probably be considering the BasicMed option much more seriously. I will probably do it once this next 5yr Class 3 is done.

Not really. Basic Med is just your normal doctor.

And no chance of denial. If you are denied an FAA Medical, you are toast. You cannot do Basic Med or LSA after a denial.

Back