Visiting Juneau!

kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Summer... and a spate of good weather predicted for both Southcentral and Southeast Alaska. Time to fly!

Along the "coastal route" through Yakutat: low-level coastal clouds and fog socked in everything for hundreds of miles, with the clouds going right up to the mountains of the coast, including up the Copper River Basin.
DSC01664_small.jpeg
I stopped for fuel in Gulkana (instead of Cordova) for that reason, and headed towards Yakutat not knowing what the weather would be like when I got there. Made radio contact with another pilot about 20 minutes ahead of me along the same route, who could scope out the weather and help me design my options: smaller airstrips that were accessible through gaps in the clouds.

Fortunately, the clouds cleared over Yakutat (and Malsapina Glacier) by the time I got there...
DSC01669_small.jpeg
...and I was able to land, fuel up, have some lunch, and take off again -- for more VFR-on-top all the way past Mount Fairweather:
DSC01671_small.jpeg

Once I was able to turn inland, the clouds disappeared and all of Southeast opened up under clear skies! Landed at PAJN after 6.9 hours (much of which was VFR-on-top).

The main reason I came is to visit my husband who is on a gig here for the week. However, while I'm here, I wouldn't pass up the chance to meet fellow PoA'er @AKBill and go see some of Juneau's tourist attractions.
Here's Bill and Monkey, at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center:
DSC01677_small.jpeg

DSC01697_small.jpeg

A few days later, Hubby had a day off and needed to get his airplane fix. So we went on a flightseeing trip around Glacier Bay NP and Taku Glacier. Bluebird day, and too many pictures to post here...
DSC01714_small.jpeg DSC01732_small.jpeg
DSC01742_small.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 10
Alaska puts the adventure into flying. Actually, I think Alaska puts the adventure into just about everything. Overjoyed that you're doing so very well. I hope you're also kicking Science's six.

Someday. It's the only State in the US I have yet to set foot it. And the only one I haven't flown to that's reachable without ferry tanks.

Was just up there last week and it still blows me away how grand and beautiful the nature is there! Great pictures!

I did the Al can highway route ,the flying was great. Also everyone I ran into was super helpful.

Cool!
Yakutat is where I had most of my Alaska experience. My grandpa bought a place up there after he retired from farming and ended up turning it into a lodge. I spent the summers of ‘81 and ‘82 and Jan-Feb ‘85 working with him. I flew my Maule up there in maybe ‘96 before we sold the place, although I think my cousin and her husband are back up there managing it.

Summer... and a spate of good weather predicted for both Southcentral and Southeast Alaska. Time to fly!t

Glad you were able to get here and enjoy some of the great weather we've been having. Glacier Bay is some wonderful flying. If you're still here and have time, Sitka is a great quick destination. Very good airport restaurant and the most beautiful approaches you can imagine. Skagway is fun too.

Summer... and a spate of good weather predicted for both Southcentral and Southeast Alaska. Time to fly!

Along the "coastal route" through Yakutat: low-level coastal clouds and fog socked in everything for hundreds of miles, with the clouds going right up to the mountains of the coast, including up the Copper River Basin.
View attachment 108253
I stopped for fuel in Gulkana (instead of Cordova) for that reason, and headed towards Yakutat not knowing what the weather would be like when I got there. Made radio contact with another pilot about 20 minutes ahead of me along the same route, who could scope out the weather and help me design my options: smaller airstrips that were accessible through gaps in the clouds.

Fortunately, the clouds cleared over Yakutat (and Malsapina Glacier) by the time I got there...
View attachment 108255
...and I was able to land, fuel up, have some lunch, and take off again -- for more VFR-on-top all the way past Mount Fairweather:
View attachment 108254

Once I was able to turn inland, the clouds disappeared and all of Southeast opened up under clear skies! Landed at PAJN after 6.9 hours (much of which was VFR-on-top).

The main reason I came is to visit my husband who is on a gig here for the week. However, while I'm here, I wouldn't pass up the chance to meet fellow PoA'er @AKBill and go see some of Juneau's tourist attractions.
Here's Bill and Monkey, at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center:
View attachment 108256

View attachment 108257

A few days later, Hubby had a day off and needed to get his airplane fix. So we went on a flightseeing trip around Glacier Bay NP and Taku Glacier. Bluebird day, and too many pictures to post here...
View attachment 108258 View attachment 108259
View attachment 108260

THE MONKEY LIVES!!!! Did you hand him off to Bill?

Amazing voyage. I second the request for more photos if you can!
The prospect of adventures like this make me want to sell the homestead in boring, flat IL and move to AK!

Amazing pics! Thanks for sharing both pics and write up. Alaska is on my bucket list….someday soon I hope.

Well, there's the little bugger.

We visited Juneau on a cruise before covid. Really wish we had the ability to see more than a day, but I liked Juneau and the wife loved Ketchikan, probably because of the seaplane flight where I wasn't the pilot.

Wow! great pictures. I can't even imagine flying up there. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

Wow. What breathtaking scenery. Thanks for posting, and please upload more photos when you can.

Back