Congressmen letter template

A

Anon-1

I have been fighting with getting my initial 3rd class SI for 4 years and most of that time was waiting 6-9 months for the FAA to send what new hoops i need to jump through. Does anyone have a template (or know where one would be) for writing my congressperson to figure out whats going on? Thank you.

you don't need a template. just lay it all out as succintly as possible. avoid emotion but be thorough. keep in mind your rep's staff will likely be reading this first. and be sure to close by asking for his/her help.

good luck.

I had to complete a privacy release form. My congressman emailed it to me about a week after I requested his assistance. I’m sure yours will require the same thing. He then asked for information to support my claim of delay. Certified letter receipts, letters from FAA requesting items, receipts showing I immediately sent what the requested. Also don’t forget about MedExpress online. It shows all dates when they scanned items into your file with a description of what the item is. That’s valuable information for him/her to use to substantiate your claim of BS delays. All of this is after they say they can help of course. Good luck. As for my case it is still pending.

. keep in mind your rep's staff will likely be reading this first.

Staff will handle it without involving the Member. Each Member has a sizable staff for constituent services, and this is right up their alley.

I knew such a staff member for a district in Appalachia. Besides the usual stuff like assistance getting benefits, she had to respond to badly written letters that asked for gifts in return for a vote. One of them asked for a wood stove.

As long as you keep votes out of the discussion, and write in a business-like way, you’ll be way ahead.

Also, a phone call to the office in addition to the letter. That will get their attention.

My (retired) congressman actually 'plagiarized' sections of my letter word for word when he addressed congress. Phone call (you will talk with a staffer) with a follow up email. They do listen if you call..

A letter will get a canned response that only has a tenuous connection to what you are writing about, especially if your position is not their position. I've been blown off by the opposite color.

Put a check in with your letter for a large amount of money and indicate it is a down payment, the rest will come after you get whatever you are asking for.

Your rep also has a local office, which may be close to you. Stop by and talk to the staffers. They will take you seriously.

Put a check in with your letter for a large amount of money and indicate it is a down payment, the rest will come after you get whatever you are asking for.

Might also mention the inside information you have on their opponent in the upcoming election. :p

Each member has a website with a list of topics the constituents need help with. Start there…Select the Transportation topic and fill in the blanks on the email form on the website. No need for a physical letter, which will be delayed weeks. Why? Because all USPS goes thru decontamination before delivery to the office.

The staffer will send an email with the privacy release for you to sign electronicaly when they respond. Then they will continue working with you including phone calls and email. Do not send documentation until they ask for it.

Of course none of this matters if it’s an issue with the IRS.

I had to complete a privacy release form. My congressman emailed it to me about a week after I requested his assistance. I’m sure yours will require the same thing. He then asked for information to support my claim of delay. Certified letter receipts, letters from FAA requesting items, receipts showing I immediately sent what the requested. Also don’t forget about MedExpress online. It shows all dates when they scanned items into your file with a description of what the item is. That’s valuable information for him/her to use to substantiate your claim of BS delays. All of this is after they say they can help of course. Good luck. As for my case it is still pending.

So I like the idea about MedXpress having dates, but I didn’t check that website until my case was in “final review” and it stating it would have a determination in two days. That was several weeks ago and I called DC and this very rude guy said it would be at the least 3-4 more months before my packet would even be seen. My question is, is there a way to look back at those dates from when your paperwork was submitted on MedXpress, or once it goes to final review (there’s no date for that either on the page) you can’t go back and find those dates?

So I like the idea about MedXpress having dates, but I didn’t check that website until my case was in “final review” and it stating it would have a determination in two days. That was several weeks ago and I called DC and this very rude guy said it would be at the least 3-4 more months before my packet would even be seen. My question is, is there a way to look back at those dates from when your paperwork was submitted on MedXpress, or once it goes to final review (there’s no date for that either on the page) you can’t go back and find those dates?

How much longer did it take to receive a response from the FAA?

I contacted my Senator around a month ago. A regional flight surgeon called me within 30 minutes of filling out the release form. The RFS informed me that he 'put in a good word' for me in DC but I have yet to hear a response from the FAA yet.

So March was when DC said they received it and then I received the first class beginning of Oct. If you are in the same boat as me and take an ssri and want to continue taking them like I do, I can tell you what the FAA is going to tell you you have to do every week/three months/six months/year. Because it’s a lot. I started ATP Feb 6 because of a long wait list and everything is good so far!

Do you actually expect it to help? My understanding is that the FAA medical office doesn’t care to answer to anyone and your congressman has no influence over them as the docs that work there aren’t employed by or accountable to congress. It may make you feel better to ask for help but the reality is that your congressman may write an email on your behalf but it will just be ignored and not speed anything up.

Do you actually expect it to help? My understanding is that the FAA medical office doesn’t care to answer to anyone and your congressman has no influence over them as the docs that work there aren’t employed by or accountable to congress. It may make you feel better to ask for help but the reality is that your congressman may write an email on your behalf but it will just be ignored and not speed anything up.

There have been reported accounts on this forum of pilots getting things expedited by their congress critters. I doubt FAA medical wants to get a congressional committee conducting an investigation, or even just bothering them with lots of requests for documents and data.

Congress has been known to take direct legislative action to improve the medical process. That’s how we got Basic Med. Also bear in mind that the FAA Administrator has to be approved by congress.

The FAA really can’t afford to ignore inquiries from a congressman.

According to a post in another thread, the FAA is saying that the number of cases that they have to deal with has dramatically increased. If that's true, it suggests that the most important way Congress could help is by increasing funding for processing of deferrals, special issuances, etc.

According to a post in another thread, the FAA is saying that the number of cases that they have to deal with has dramatically increased. If that's true, it suggests that the most important way Congress could help is by increasing funding for processing of deferrals, special issuances, etc.

I’ve suggested this before, but it ain’t likely to happen.

In the Basic Med rule, there is a tiny handful of items that require an SI. That same list should comprise the ONLY items that an AME has to defer to OKC for a 3rd class. Everything else should be CACI.

If any physician from chiropractor to podiatrist can approve Basic Med over a large host of conditions, why can’t an AME issue a 3rd class for the same conditions?

This would take a considerable load off OKC and provide better service for airmen.

I’ve suggested this before, but it ain’t likely to happen.

In the Basic Med rule, there is a tiny handful of items that require an SI. That same list should comprise the ONLY items that an AME has to defer to OKC for a 3rd class. Everything else should be CACI.

If any physician from chiropractor to podiatrist can approve Basic Med over a large host of conditions, why can’t an AME issue a 3rd class for the same conditions?

This would take a considerable load off OKC and provide better service for airmen.

Depends on the State in which you live. Chiro's aren't considered licensed physicians in many. Another ill considered limitation of the Basic Med rule. I'd also include a nurse practitioner. If it's good enough for a DOT card....

Depends on the State in which you live. Chiro's aren't considered licensed physicians in many. Another ill considered limitation of the Basic Med rule. I'd also include a nurse practitioner. If it's good enough for a DOT card....

Yes but you're missing my point. An AME should be able to issue a 3rd class for all the conditions a physician can approve for Basic. Expanding the CACI list would reduce the workload for OKC.

Yes but you're missing my point. An AME should be able to issue a 3rd class for all the conditions a physician can approve for Basic. Expanding the CACI list would reduce the workload for OKC.

Better yet, there should be no requirement for a 3rd class medical before Basic Med if there isn't one on the must-SI conditions. I'm not seeing a bunch of planes piloted by Basic Med pilots falling from the sky.

Aeromedical has every resource they need to speed up the process, by cutting their own not-medically-necessary requests. The very fact that such a high percentage of SIs are issued to pilots willing to jump through the ridiculous hoops proves that Aeromedical is just trying to extract a pound of flesh in exchange for a medical cert in a very high proportion of the cases.

Better yet, there should be no requirement for a 3rd class medical before Basic Med if there isn't one on the must-SI conditions. I'm not seeing a bunch of planes piloted by Basic Med pilots falling from the sky.

Agreed, but that would require Congress to change the law. The FAA can't do it. But they can revise the CACI list on their own.

Aeromedical has every resource they need to speed up the process, by cutting their own not-medically-necessary requests. The very fact that such a high percentage of SIs are issued to pilots willing to jump through the ridiculous hoops proves that Aeromedical is just trying to extract a pound of flesh in exchange for a medical cert in a very high proportion of the cases.

:yeahthat: Completely agree!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back