Any recommendations for Michigan or Ohio?

ArrowFlyer86

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
Unexpectedly have a couple days free from work, and have a couple day gap before I need to be in MI for a july 4th family gathering. Now I want to take advantage of the nice weather and fly somewhere I haven't been before.

Any recommendations for cool places to fly to in MI/OH? Preferably places where you don't need a rental car to move around or much advanced notice to show up. I'd be heading there today or tomorrow AM at the latest.

Note: Not quite ready to take the Arrow over the water otherwise I'd have done Beaver Island or Mackinac. But any other recommendations in either state would be welcome!

National Museum of the USAF at Wright Patterson AFB.

Land at I19 (my Home Drome) and take the crew car.

Cheers

Thanks for the recommendation. And coincidentally I had just been looking at Dayton. My friend went to that museum last month, looked awesome.

Curious, if I spend the night there do you know if there is transport options like Uber into town from I19? I imagine I can't keep the crew car overnight :).

Thanks for the recommendation. And coincidentally I had just been looking at Dayton. My friend went to that museum last month, looked awesome.

Curious, if I spend the night there do you know if there is transport options like Uber into town from I19? I imagine I can't keep the crew car overnight :).
There’s LYFT and UBER in the area. And I’m working at the Museum tomorrow. Call the FBO, MacAir.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Cheers

You can get to Beaver or Mackinac and be within glide range of land the whole time.

You can get to Beaver or Mackinac and be within glide range of land the whole time.

Mackinac for sure.

Beaver... I'd have to fly pretty high to be in *comfortable* glide range with the Arrow...

Put in Bay Island is lots of fun. There's a bus, or you can rent golf carts. Across the bay there's Port Clinton, that has aa nice little diner and a small museum. Kelley's island is nice, there is a taxi or you can ride your bicycle if you carry one.

There is always Traverse City, though we kind of liked Frankfort when we were there last week as well.

The Kalamazoo Air Zoo is way better than you would think...excellent museum, and worth a whole day! BUT, I wouldn't stay at Kalamazoo, use one of the satellite airports instead.

The Kalamazoo Air Zoo is way better than you would think...excellent museum, and worth a whole day! BUT, I wouldn't stay at Kalamazoo, use one of the satellite airports instead.

Them are fighting words! Because as luck would have it Kalamazoo is where I’m headed for the family gathering! I go all the time since I have family there. AirZoo is nice, and much better than most would expect. And they’re actually unveiling an F117 there in the next month or so, which will be a welcome addition.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to make the last minute journey I wanted to, erg, but I will go and visit bass islands and the Dayton air museum within the next 2 weeks!

Note: Not quite ready to take the Arrow over the water otherwise I'd have done Beaver Island or Mackinac.
That’s fair, just remember, the airplane has no idea that it’s over water, remote wilderness or whatever other inhospitable terrain that you’d not want to go down in. Unless the airplane is particularly clapped out, I say go for it! Your manhood will also double in size from taking on the feat!

Ummm, that's not Beaver Island..... Try from Good Hart MI, to Beaver....

I think OBE(overcome by events) but another close option is Grand Haven, MI, much closer than Beaver or Mackinac Island. It’s not far from the beach, nice airport, a ride would be easy.

Just an idea for later on.

Back