Process for Mild Head Injury or Concussion

H

happaviator

Hey Everyone,

Last January I tripped while running and hit my head on the pavement. There was no loss of consciousness or any immediate symptoms. I developed a headache and felt pressure in my head a few days later, so I went to the doctor. He said my symptoms were consistent with a mild concussion and diagnosed me with a "mild head injury." No imaging was taken. I felt completely fine a few days later.

I spoke with my AME about this and the FAA's decision was to ground me for six months. After six months I'm supposed to go get an evaluation from a neurologist. Is anyone familiar with how this goes from here? I'm curious if I'll need imaging or if I'll have to see any special FAA doctors after seeing this neurologist.

Thanks!

my approach is to always let the FAA tell the airman what is needed. I would defer your application and have you send to them the medical data you have. Their response will dictate what is done next.

After my head injury I decided it wasn’t worth jumping through the FAA’s hoops. Basic Med & Sport pilot for me since then.

You got the "mild" box on the FAA's TBI table. Any insurance systee clinical neuroliogist can do this. It sounds like there was no post TBI seizure, and provided that there is no comment as to cognitive dysfunction, do a new Flight Physical exam and have the AME call it in. He may be able to issue you on the phone call.

B

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back