ForeFlight flight plan filing - phone number entry

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I’m not sure if I missed a setting somewhere, but I can’t find one as I sit here today. Every time I file a flight plan in ForeFlight, it has nearly everything filled in. The one required box that is empty is the pilot’s phone number. It also seems to occasionally forget my last name and just put in the first name. Does anyone know if there is a place to tell ForeFlight to always put in the same phone number for me?

As a workaround, I've found that if you leave one previously-filed filled-in flight plan lying around, the name/phone will convey to subsequent flight plans.

Last edited:
ForeFlight obtains the prefill information for the pilot, address, and phone number from the last successfully filed flight plan. If you always delete your flight plans after you use them, then you have to enter the pilot information. Recommendation, keep at least one successfully filed flight plan in your Flights view. I have hundreds of them and rarely delete old ones.

ForeFlight obtains the prefill information for the pilot, address, and phone number from the last successfully filed flight plan. If you always delete your flight plans after you use them, then you have to enter the pilot information. Recommendation, keep at least one successfully filed flight plan in your Flights view. I have hundreds of them and rarely delete old ones.
Thank you for that tip. I always delete old flights. I'll have to give keeping them a chance.

I provided feedback for ForeFlight to fix this but apparently to no effect.

Heard it's a feature coming in the new Pilot Pro Plus Plus plan for another $15 a month. :7)

FWIW - I keep all of the old flight plans. Plenty of storage space, a nice record of what I've done, and very handy to be able copy an old plan that worked well when creating a new one.

I always delete old flights and it still populates.I never add my certificate number but name and phone are there. I assume it gets it from the “Your Information” in the Account section of settings.

Huh? I've always used teletype to file my flight plans.

I always delete old flights and it still populates.I never add my certificate number but name and phone are there. I assume it gets it from the “Your Information” in the Account section of settings.
It has populated my first name or sometimes full name from there but never my phone number. I wonder if adding dashes in the phone number would impact that.

I've had the same problem. I contacted Foreflight (they actually were very responsive and quite helpful). They said to do what @GeorgeC said, and leave an old flight plan around (I'm OCD/deleted mine too). Took care of the problem.

It has populated my first name or sometimes full name from there but never my phone number. I wonder if adding dashes in the phone number would impact that.

Adding special characters is not allowed in a filed flight plan message. The dash - is used as an ICAO field delimiter. I believe if you enter a special character, it will be stripped out and replaced by a space.

What is to be fixed? That is the way ForeFlight was designed to work and has worked for years.
I don’t think it’s documented. The only places I could find ‘telephone’ in the pilot’s guide were in relation to calling an FBO from the airport information. ForeFlight does a pretty good job documenting their features, so “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature” falls short.

It sounds like its hit and sometimes miss with this. I would think you could load all of the pertinent information in your profile, and it would pull from there.

I don’t think it’s documented. The only places I could find ‘telephone’ in the pilot’s guide were in relation to calling an FBO from the airport information. ForeFlight does a pretty good job documenting their features, so “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature” falls short.

Good point. It is in the works to be added to the next update of the Filing Guide.

What is to be fixed? That is the way ForeFlight was designed to work and has worked for years.
I requested there be a way to automatically populate name, email, and phone number into a new flight plan without needing to keep a random recent flight plan alive in the history. The information doesn’t normally change for my account. The workaround isn’t a big deal but it seems like poor design.

I requested there be a way to automatically populate name, email, and phone number into a new flight plan without needing to keep a random recent flight plan alive in the history. The information doesn’t normally change for my account. The workaround isn’t a big deal but it seems like poor design.
It would be nice to be able to set defaults for the required flight plan information on an per-account or per-tail-number basis. That's what I had expected and hoped for prior to posting this thread.

Back