Need help/solution for Cirrus training (CRQ or MYF)

hoyasaxa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
hoyasaxa
I’m looking for Part 61 training for my PPL. I’m at CRQ but can travel to MYF.

My current roadblock is that my wife’s personal minimums are that this training happens in a Cirrus. Please let’s not have a debate about whether the ‘chute is worth a darn. Been there done that. Lost. At this point I just want to get in the air.

Only thing I can find so far is Palomar Aviation which is expensive. Plus One isn’t an option because of insurance and club rules re the Cirrus planes.

If anyone is or knows a CFI with access to a SR20 that can be used for training that would be very helpful and appreciated. If anyone has any workarounds or other suggestions that would also be appreciated. Anyone who wants to comment about the chute, let me know if you’re local and want to take my wife up for some spin training (we’ll both get yelled at but it will be amusing).

You’re working the problem from the wrong end. The better question is, where are there aircraft for rent with a brs? BRS is an option in many LSAs, as well as Bushcat, Bearcats, Cub Crafters, Glasair, Kitfox, and as a retrofit for Cessna 172/182s (as well as home builds like RANS & experimentals).

https://brsaerospace.com/cessna/

cirrus is far from an ideal training platform. It is slippery for a student & builds speec fast, meaning "stuff" happens too fast for a student. The brs is a parachute, not an ejection seat. The cirrus presents any number of ways to kill yourself at altitudes too low for brs deployment, like learning takeoffs & landings. As a student, you spent more time low to the ground, grinding out touch and go's well below brs deployment altitude.

True to the law of unintended consequences, by insisting on a cirrus your wife is inadvertently signing your death warrant. (A little over the top, but it looks good). Call the brs people & track down a trainer with brs. Or buy a C-172 & retrofit your own.

The wife demands a Cirrus, train in a Cirrus if you have the coin.

I have instructed a few students in SR22s because some customers have ordered or plan to buy an SR22 want to train in them. Yes, a typical flight lesson is $850 and the hours to certificate are higher. You can buy a new SR22 first and train that way, the insurance is $23K.

The death warrant cLaim is unfounded.

Last edited:
If your going to purchase a cirrus after your training then train in a cirrus. If not find a school with an aircraft has a chute at a much lower rate.

Maybe your wife knows more than you think. Say she really doesn't want to go to Europe and will "only go to Europe if it's [the most expensive way to get there]" knowing that you won't/can't fork out the money for it.
"Sure, you get get your private, but only if you do it in a Cirrus."

Nothing to do with 'safety' but just a way to say no without saying no.

Workaround: Get a new wife. :D

If your going to purchase a cirrus after your training then train in a cirrus. If not find a school with an aircraft has a chute at a much lower rate.

this is my thinking. I want her to fly with me once I have it. Not only does she not want me up without a chute, she herself wouldn’t go up. And from the research I’ve done, a SR20 (ideally a SR22) would fill 99% of my mission (day and weekend trips from KCRQ to Santa Barbara, Bay Area, Tahoe, and occasionally the southwest [Utah/Arizona]). Even if I didn’t buy for a couple years, the clubs here do have the SR20s available to rent, but just not for training, and not without some hours. When we want to go to Colorado probably have to rent a SR22T.

Your wife is doing you a disservice IMO. I fly Cirrus and love them, but I am very happy that I did my primary and rust removing flights much later in a trainer. ( skipper then 172) Instructors are much more nervous?, not really the right word, maybe attentive in a Cirrus versus a trainer. And by this I mean that they don't let things go as far as they do in a trainer. I think the main reason is that the Cirrus lands much faster than a trainer, is more fragile than a trainer and costs a lot more money than a trainer. That's my guess anyway. Things happen faster in a Cirrus, yes even a 20. There is less time to sort out things while learning.

Most of the flying you will be doing , where the most "danger" is, while learning to fly will be below the useful altitude for the chute, so it is basically useless. This is during approach, landing and take off.

You’re working the problem from the wrong end. The better question is, where are there aircraft for rent with a brs? BRS is an option in many LSAs, as well as Bushcat, Bearcats, Cub Crafters, Glasair, Kitfox, and as a retrofit for Cessna 172/182s (as well as home builds like RANS & experimentals).

https://brsaerospace.com/cessna/

cirrus is far from an ideal training platform. It is slippery for a student & builds speec fast, meaning "stuff" happens too fast for a student. The brs is a parachute, not an ejection seat. The cirrus presents any number of ways to kill yourself at altitudes too low for brs deployment, like learning takeoffs & landings. As a student, you spent more time low to the ground, grinding out touch and go's well below brs deployment altitude.

True to the law of unintended consequences, by insisting on a cirrus your wife is inadvertently signing your death warrant. (A little over the top, but it looks good). Call the brs people & track down a trainer with brs. Or buy a C-172 & retrofit your own.
Spot on!

Back