FAA Letter

S

Supernick747

Hello there Pilots of America,
Back in April I received a letter from the FAA telling me that I need, " A current orthopedic evaluation from your treating physician regarding your left leg amputation and congenital deformity of the hands. The report must address history, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment plan, current medications (name, dosage and frequency of use), and prognosis. Specific mention must be made regarding your range of motion, mobility, strength, and any functional limitations that would preclude you from safely operating an aircraft." I have tried contacting several orthopedic physicians in my area with no success of being able to perform this evaluation. Is there something I'm missing from this description in the letter or maybe I'm doing this all wrong? Please help!

So you don't have a "current treating physician"? In terms of limitations, the FAA will likely want to do a SODA flight regardless of what your doctor says (a friend took one, a non-event.)
Perhaps your PCP could do this; nothing in it that is extraordinary. Mine measured my ROM after an injury, for example.

Yeah, unfortunately since my amputation, I do not have a treating physician, I haven't had any issues with it for years. So, you're saying if I cannot get an evaluation done, FAA will do a SODA flight with me to determine themselves what I can and cannot do in the air?

Yeah, unfortunately since my amputation, I do not have a treating physician, I haven't had any issues with it for years. So, you're saying if I cannot get an evaluation done, FAA will do a SODA flight with me to determine themselves what I can and cannot do in the air?
He's saying they may want both. An expert evaluation of your medical condition and a flight test to see what you can do in the air.

Get a physical therapist or an occupational therapist to do this.
It's pretty straight forward....
Thing is I've tried, but every single one has told me they can't do it. One of the doctors said I need to talk with a doctor who is FAA certified to do the evaluation.

Not going to lie, I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I'm at a standstill. No doctor can see me because they all say they can't do this evaluation. I don't want to give up, but I do not know how to proceed. I called the FAA aerospace medical number also, but the person could not provide an answer for me either.

Dr Chien gave the answer. He may be the best AME there is, the scientist in me must allow that I don’t know them all.

forget the doctor - Physical or occupational therapist.

Well I got an appointment to go see both a physical and occupational therapist so we'll see how this goes. Now I probably do not need to ask this, but should I bring the FAA letter with me so they know to send out the information back to then?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back