Dynon HDX & IFD540 in Cherokee 235

Calum Brown

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Calum B
Just about finished this Dynon/Avidyne install in a Piper Cherokee 235. Pre-wired for a future Dynon autopilot as well, just waiting for the new Knots2U glareshield arriving. Really love these Dynon installs! We've just had an installation slot open up in July if anyone needs it for an install like this

Attachments

• 20220531_132744.JPG
    20220531_132744.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 20220531_132749.JPG
    20220531_132749.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 20220531_143802.JPG
    20220531_143802.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_6023.jpg
    IMG_6023.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 143
Nice
Where?
Reno Tahoe Int Airport, NV. It's pretty convenient for people coming in, dropping off the aircraft and then catching a commercial flight home. And we have a sales tax abatement so no tax applicable

Are these easy installs? I've been teaching in an HDX-equipped LSA and think it's an awesome system (even compared with a Gx000). I've been wondering what's involved in switching from round duals in certified aircraft.

That is my dream panel. Unfortunately, it is not available for my B55 Baron. Nice work.

Looks really slick! I think the biggest obstacle for me would be autopilot certification. Right now it's only approved for 172, Seneca and Bo. With something that nice, I'd want an integrated autopilot.

Are these easy installs? I've been teaching in an HDX-equipped LSA and think it's an awesome system (even compared with a Gx000). I've been wondering what's involved in switching from round duals in certified aircraft.

I wouldn't say easy but the technology is getting more straightforward, especially with a lot of the Dynon equipment being plug and play with their SkyView network, it significantly reduces the installation time required. The Dynon system is really awesome and I don't want to fly with anything else now! Redoing the instrument panel is a bit of an art but its really worth it, especially when people opt for silkscreening the placards and labels etc, it looks really slick and professional

Just about finished this Dynon/Avidyne install in a Piper Cherokee 235. Pre-wired for a future Dynon autopilot as well, just waiting for the new Knots2U glareshield arriving. Really love these Dynon installs! We've just had an installation slot open up in July if anyone needs it for an install like this

Very nice Calum!

Very easy Mark, and very customizable for the display layout, cautions, warnings, etc. It can be installed by anyone, as long as an IA oversees and signs off, so installation savings are possible as well.
A02.JPG
FastPlane.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! What is your POV on this vs Garmin?

Off topic John - but other than your plane being stunning, the velcroed pen/glasses holder would solve my problems... What/where from?

Nice! What is your POV on this vs Garmin?

Having used both I have to say I love the Dynon/Avidyne combo. There's certain things I way prefer about the Dynon system and of course there's always a couple suggestions one could make! The Dynon autopilot that I've used in other aircraft like V35/A36/172 works amazing, after a few tweaks it always holds the course great and coupled approaches are a breeze. There feels like a lot more freedom and flexibility with the Dynon system. Also if you're doing a single screen setup then you honestly can't beat the Dynon- you can display much more engine info on the bottom strip than what the Garmin g3x can- with the G500/600 txi displays you have to have a dedicated screen for engine monitoring. The future increased integration between Dynon and avidyne is exciting, there's a wealth of features that could be unlocked through that. The BK aerocruze and Trio autopilots for those not covered by Dynons AP STC yet can also make a good interim autopilot but some may feel it gives enough performance for their mission- certainly the upcoming integration update from Trio to the Dynon system will unlock a lot and make it actually stand above the BK version- plus the trio has a few extra features the BK doesn't and is also certified to slightly lower minimums. Dynon is always great to deal with and their tech support help out as much as they can- haven't had that from the big G but then im not a dealer for them, which is where the customer also gets frustrated as they just simply get told to take it back to the original shop.
A Dynon install also shaves a significant amount of time off the job as the Dynon network is such a breeze, the Garmin is time consuming and often requires very particular ethernet cable and is very finicky with shielding requirements

upcoming integration update from Trio to the Dynon system

I am very interested in this. First I've heard of it. Can you elaborate on what features it'll have? This could be great news for those of us who have installed the Dynon but are in Limbo for their autopilot.

I am very interested in this. First I've heard of it. Can you elaborate on what features it'll have? This could be great news for those of us who have installed the Dynon but are in Limbo for their autopilot.

From what I’ve heard it will be an actual ARINC interface (rather than the simple serial line the Aerocruze100 uses) so the Dynon output will do full GPSS and will theoretically be able to do VOR/ILS stuff. Plus it will auto sync baro pressure and follow your altitude, VS, IAS, HDG bugs set on the HDX. From what I’ve seen of the aerocruze integration it’s pretty much useless when following the serial output of the HDX so this trio plan looks very promising. We’ve been installing them instead of the aerocruze since the beginning of the year based on this. The trio has more features than the aerocruze anyway and certified to a lower minimum

I like Dynon products because they us the CAN interface for all their devices and can connect to any ARINC device as well as serial interfaces.

I asked several avionics manufacturers if they used CAN as an interconnect for their devices at this year's HELI-EXPO and they all said no. They are legacy systems and are not caught up to the latest standards IMO.

I like Dynon products because they us the CAN interface for all their devices and can connect to any ARINC device as well as serial interfaces.

I asked several avionics manufacturers if they used CAN as an interconnect for their devices at this year's HELI-EXPO and they all said no. They are legacy systems and are not caught up to the latest standards IMO.

It's funny to think of CAN bus as the latest standards.. I've been using CAN bus since the early 1990s No one really uses it anymore outside of aviation, everything is real time ethernet now days.

Sounds great. Can you think of anything the Dynon certificated autopilot can do that the Trio (once upgraded) can't?

Yes the Dynon has a fully functioning Flight Director (V command bars); its still certified down to a lower minimum, certified for VOR/ILS approaches, the Dynon AP control head is definitely easier/quicker to use but the gap of features will definitely be closing after this software update. I can't see Trio bringing in a Flight director to be honest, aside from that it will really be up to how hard you wanna IFR, ease of use, quality of components. The trio stuff is good but Dynon AP hardware is definitely up there with the G. Garmin servos look a bit more substantial but they've had far more problems than i've ever heard of with a Dynon servo!

Back