Having a flying career while on special issuance.

R

RobertK9

I have acquired all basic flight ratings, and have logged 700hours of flight time. Then I developed a medical issue. So now I'm stuck taking medication that does not allow me to get regular flight medical.

So right now I'm trying to decide, is it worth while proceeding with my flying career aspirations, given that I can only get a special issuance?

My two concerns are:
1 - Possible discrimination by potential employers, who will be able to see my medical certificate, see that I have a special issuance, and pick someone else instead of me.
2 - I'll be spending more time getting my medical renewed every year, while sending countless documents to FAA, than the time will I will be spending flying.

Just trying to get thoughts from other people. Thanks in advance!

Look in an airport how many chubby pilots wheel a CPAP machine around. They all have at least one SI.

I held a 1st class and have the ATP. I was on a SI for one year, then not long after getting a medical, I received a letter from the FAA that contained a new non SI medical certificate, and a letter explaining why I no longer needed a SI.

I know guys with SIs and over 60 % VA disability and they didn’t have any problems getting flying jobs. Know a guy who gets 100 % disability for TBIs. Even parks in handicap spot at work. :eek:

Employers don’t care about the medical on a PRIA check. They just want to make sure you actually have the appropriate medical.

Flying with special Issuances is not a problem, you will not be the first to do it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back