The View-Master and my Super Cub

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
I didn't want to hijack the thread about outside storage of a cub. But I have an interesting tidbit of my aviation history to share.

The friend I sold it to still lets me give him flight reviews in it, so I see/fly it often.

My father was the "American Dream!" He was a penniless German immigrant in the early 1920s...........ended up becoming wealthy and completely lost his accent. You would have never known he wasn't born in Portland. He invented the View-Master and at one time was the largest employer in Oregon. William never wanted the VM to be a toy, but a scientific instrument. He died young.

He and Dr. Bassett of Stanford University both died at a young age from formaldehyde poisoning.

Dr. Bassett dissected human bodies and William made 3-dimensional photos of every part. It was a 10-year project and William would fly from PDX to Stanford once a month. The formaldehyde was so strong they both smoked cigars to mask the smell. It killed both of them.

Recently Stanford has digitized all the photos and they are used worldwide in medical schools. I have the originals in my hangar and don't know what to do with them.

Anyway, after I got my private in late 1965 I was able to fly him one time around his favorite place......Mt. Hood. Just weeks later. on his deathbed, he told my mother "Buy him an airplane." And THAT is why that beauty exists.

Using a View Master is one of my earliest memories playing with any toy as a child! Amazing. Thanks for sharing this. Brought back some good memories.

Hands down, this ranks up with one of the coolest posts/stories I’ve read read on POA over the past 10 years.

As others said, WOW is right! I remember the View-Master as a kid in early 80s.

And here I thought @kgruber was just gonna give us some kinda negative tip ;) (sorry, couldn’t resist!)

Thank you very much for sharing, @kgruber, quite amazing :)

Back