Oil & Filter Supplies?

Anyone have any experience with Challenger reusable filters? Pricey, but…

8AA2D4D7-9A70-4B3D-9CCE-248317423402.jpeg

Try Tempest 48110-2. Those pop up as in stock. Your engine won't know the difference.

I ordered one and put the tempest filter on yesterday. Just saying, not all filters are in stock.

That's like complaining the coffee shop is out of your favorite color of sprinkles. ;)

I was back ordered until September, but just got an email that my filters shipped. Hope it’s not a mistake.

Anyone find oil filters lately? Nothing available that I can see.

Last edited:
I buy oil from aviationoiloutlet.com. They stock Shell, Phillips and Mobil. Free shipping over $75.00 order. Shipment arrives in a couple days to my front porch.

The best deal is to purchase a case of 4 one gallon containers and refill your quart empties.

I called Textron and they have 4500 on backorder...

Gonna be lots of filters on Ebay when the supply eventually exceeds the hoarding demand...

a4899c9a595187dd1cc8894ce0d0d8f3

I ordered some about a month ago and got them in a week. The ones for my io540 are estimated back in stock July 7.

My shop had had such trouble getting filters for the flight school planes that they've started putting the challenger filters on that @painless mentioned. He says they've been pleased with them so far.

Rumor is that the paper media is the bottleneck. No idea if that's true. Haven't seen shortages in any other filters I buy yet, although the farm stuff I buy all at once in the winter when the dealer has a sale.

I've always kept spares of everything on hand because I'm not organized enough to predict my needs ahead of time. I was very thankful I had half a dozen airplane filters on hand when this crap started so I could do a couple filter changes after the engine iran.

Rumor is that the paper media is the bottleneck. No idea if that's true.

Possible, but I'm sure the self-fulfilling panic buy rumors strongly contribute.

We've joked numerous times in my current industry that one of the best way to drive a sales increase on a stagnant product is to start a backorder rumor.

Suddenly everyone wants to load up their shelves.

I ordered some about a month ago and got them in a week. The ones for my io540 are estimated back in stock July 7.

My shop had had such trouble getting filters for the flight school planes that they've started putting the challenger filters on that @painless mentioned. He says they've been pleased with them so far.

Rumor is that the paper media is the bottleneck. No idea if that's true. Haven't seen shortages in any other filters I buy yet, although the farm stuff I buy all at once in the winter when the dealer has a sale.

I've always kept spares of everything on hand because I'm not organized enough to predict my needs ahead of time. I was very thankful I had half a dozen airplane filters on hand when this crap started so I could do a couple filter changes after the engine iran.
Have also heard from some of my customers in the excavation world that the paper has been the where the bottleneck is. Crazy times....still

These are also no-longer in stock.
What kind do you use?
Typically Tempest AA48110-2, or the Champion equivalent.

Does an engine in a certified aircraft require a specific oil filter? I know some experimental guys use filters not specifically labeled for aircraft use.

Does an engine in a certified aircraft require a specific oil filter? I know some experimental guys use filters not specifically labeled for aircraft use.
Yes they do.

I ordered paper delivery forms from my friend the printer like I have been for 20+ years. He warned me it would take longer this time because of paper is in short supply.

I bought a Challenger oil filter 6 months ago anticipating the disposable filter issues and increased costs. I buy a lot of steel in my business and as everyone knows by now steel is crazy expensive.
I have used reusable filters with stainless steel screens on regular cars and race cars. Nothing wrong with them other that you have to get your hands dirty cleaning them and it helps to have a parts washer.
IMG_1551.JPG

I still have a few disposable filters to use up and then I am switching to the Challenger filter.
I do have a parts washer in my hangar so it will be easier to clean the screen during oil changes. It will make my filter cutter obsolete.
IMG_1882.JPG

Same story here. My annual is due in July, so about six weeks ago I ordered the Tempest AA48110-2 from Spruce. At the time of my order, it was supposed to ship on 6/24, so no problem. Not having received it yet, I checked this morning and they're now showing a ship date of 8/3.

Grumble grumble @%#$^@ grumble grumble.....

I ordered paper delivery forms from my friend the printer like I have been for 20+ years. He warned me it would take longer this time because of paper is in short supply.
I bought a Challenger oil filter 6 months ago anticipating the disposable filter issues and increased costs. I buy a lot of steel in my business and as everyone knows by now steel is crazy expensive.
I have used reusable filters with stainless steel screens on regular cars and race cars. Nothing wrong with them other that you have to get your hands dirty cleaning them and it helps to have a parts washer.
I still have a few disposable filters to use up and then I am switching to the Challenger filter.
I do have a parts washer in my hangar so it will be easier to clean the screen during oil changes. It will make my filter cutter obsolete.
My question is for everyone but you! Would you buy a plane knowing the previous owner used a reusable oil filter?

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

October 2019 my steel costs depending on product were as low as .32 cents per pound. They've gone down slightly since peak, But were up to 1.50-1.80 per pound for the same product.

My o-360 still has the original oil screen. Has never had a filter. 3600 hours and only 1 major overhaul since 1963.

That's a pretty good sockdolager* if I've ever heard one.

*First I ever heard this word was when playing Balderdash.

Not sure if it helps anyone, but I saw a listing from Aircraft Specialty Services in Tulsa saying they had a handful of AA48108-2 AND AA48110-2 filters in stock.

293606372_5571380412881193_1189002898302154618_n.jpg

I ordered a six pack of AA48110-2 on 21 May.. it was backordered and delivered yesterday. To cover down while I waited I found 1 AA48110-2
on Amazon for $52.

just checked my 'order' on aircraftspruce:

upload_2022-8-12_14-25-35.png
upload_2022-8-12_14-25-44.png

had said expected aug 5th for a while. makes me reconsider some upcoming trips I have.

Back