Rant - Organic Peanut Butter

pesticide levels were lower in people who ate less pesticides? and we need a study for that?

I mean it's just naive, gullible people who believe there is a difference between conventional and organic, so yes. We do.

That’s how I ate them all the time when I was a kid.

You're welcome to my share. I love me some peanuts and lately have been eating them salt free (it does take some getting used to). Last couple of weeks I've fallen in love with cashews ... again.

I haven't been following the debate closely for awhile, but I recall in the '80's early attempts at organic celery were abandoned because the plants, under attack by more insects since they weren't treated, developed levels of psoralens (a natural photosensitizing insecticide) that were so high people coming in contact with celery were having health issues.

Peanuts, and to a lesser extent corn, some grains, and olives, can develop dangerous levels of aflatoxins when not treated with fungicides. Aflatoxin B was, maybe still is, the most potent liver carcinogen known.

I assume strategies for reducing those risks have been developed, since organic celery and peanut products are still a thing, but organic doesn't automatically mean healthier.

It's just about impossible to grow truly organic cotton; everyone assumes those producers cheat a bit...but since you don't eat cotton, it's not clear why anyone would care if it's organic or not.

Prove it. They all cheat.
Sure, I’d be happy to, so long as you can prove your claim with more than just an uneducated personal opinion.

You're welcome to my share. I love me some peanuts and lately have been eating them salt free (it does take some getting used to). Last couple of weeks I've fallen in love with cashews ... again.
I’ve had them salt free and roasted, and a friend sent me a Mason jar of boiled peanuts from a roadside stand in AL. I may have had peanuts I didn’t like at some time, but if so I don’t remember it.

But I do looooooooooooove cashews.

Now that's just fruit.....cashews. ;)

Sure, I’d be happy to, so long as you can prove your claim with more than just an uneducated personal opinion.

My education and due diligence is how I know they all cheat. No opinion.

That is, unless they have cleaned up their act in the last 20 or so years. I doubt it.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE - There is a crisis in Peanut Butter Land!! At least here in the DC area.... I went to the store for some items including a non-organic/in-organic/regular/Jif/Jiffy type jar of PB for spreading on bread and not having to use a paint mixer to stir it up.....

The shelves were barren of all except organic PB!! Apparently there is some sort of recall going on. Tainted PB! I have about two inches of barely-mixed organic peanut butter left. I fear I will need to purchase another jar of the separated oil/PB paste in the near future.

PB recall?? WFT is the world coming to.

All this talk of peanut butter wants me to make some DIY Reese's. I really don't like peanut butter all that much, at least by itself. I like peanuts - salted peanuts; they go great with beer. And I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I'll make the exception for Reese's PB cups. Hmm, I wonder if we have some in the candy dish at the front counter...

EDIT: Nope.

Last edited:
We are recovering from a Jiff recall.....had to turn in my stash. Even though we already ate a jar or so...and no one died.....we decided not to give up all of the stash.

CA9423C8-F8EB-40C0-90CD-0FD7276BC591.jpeg

Well well well. I guess I wouldn’t be surprised to find peanut butter here. But I am surprised it is the organic crap.

All this talk of peanut butter wants me to make some DIY Reese's. I really don't like peanut butter all that much, at least by itself. I like peanuts - salted peanuts; they go great with beer. And I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I'll make the exception for Reese's PB cups. Hmm, I wonder if we have some in the candy dish at the front counter...

EDIT: Nope.
There are some in the vending machine down the hall from me ($1.25), should I pick one up for you?

There are some in the vending machine down the hall from me ($1.25), should I pick one up for you?

Nah, I'm too cheap. We do have a stock of the mini Snickers and Musketeers but I don't like them well enough to violate dietary restrictions. So far I haven't raided the Doritos yet this morning.

I guess I wouldn’t be surprised to find peanut butter here

Organic crunchy! Interesting.... very very interesting.... I wonder if it mixes better. Hard to tell from the pic, but that jar doesn't look as separated as the smooth (non-crunchy).

We are recovering from a Jiff recall.....had to turn in my stash. Even though we already ate a jar or so...and no one died.....we decided not to give up all of the stash.

Yeah... once you know... you sort of have to turn it it. One of those situations where you would rather be blissfully unaware. Just go on making delicious PBJs, PB and honey (with raisins!) open-faced.... Just spoon-fulls of PB directly ingested... Heck even if I did know... if I was halfway into a jar and hadn't gotten sick.... well that would be a tough call.

Organic crunchy! Interesting.... very very interesting.... I wonder if it mixes better. Hard to tell from the pic, but that jar doesn't look as separated as the smooth (non-crunchy).

Yeah... once you know... you sort of have to turn it it. One of those situations where you would rather be blissfully unaware. Just go on making delicious PBJs, PB and honey (with raisins!) open-faced.... Just spoon-fulls of PB directly ingested... Heck even if I did know... if I was halfway into a jar and hadn't gotten sick.... well that would be a tough call.
D43ED351-B347-4136-96F6-3741046C6C95.jpeg

Since you asked….

Yeah... that's not bad... that looks like it would spread without the need for too much mixing... given the current PB shortage, that is a might-buy...

I have used both and haven't noticed any difference in that regard.

Family friends have "regular" farms. They lease out fields to these "organic" places. The organics only use a field for a year, taking advantage of the residual fertilizer in the soil from the year before from the "regular" crops, because the second year's yield don't provide enough to bother harvesting. Then use another field the next year. And so on. Organic isn't as organic as they want you to believe.

Speaking of farming.... I guess I never really considered how peanuts grow... This is eye opening for some reason -
farmer-harvest-peanut-on-agriculture-plantation-picture-id1203295025

The damn things grow underground like a potatoe.

Family friends have "regular" farms. They lease out fields to these "organic" places. The organics only use a field for a year, taking advantage of the residual fertilizer in the soil from the year before from the "regular" crops, because the second year's yield don't provide enough to bother harvesting. Then use another field the next year. And so on. Organic isn't as organic as they want you to believe.
Depends on which organic certification the farmers use. All of the organic growers I worked for required 2-3 years of organic operations on the ground before it was certified organic crop.

Well it’s all a lie. They are not nuts.

I just don't know what to believe now...

Next, someone is going to tell me bananas grown on trees and not in the ground like carrots...

(My wife's roommate in college was convinced this was true)

Depends on which organic certification the farmers use. All of the organic growers I worked for required 2-3 years of organic operations on the ground before it was certified organic crop.
3 years is USDA standard. The farm or business will also go through an annual review and inspection process.

In order to legally label their products as being organic, they would have to use soil from land that has not had prohibited substances applied to it for the past three years, per the USDA. They would also have to maintain their organic certification, which requires an annual review and inspection. If they were operating as you’ve stated, than it sounds like they were operating illegally.

In order to legally label their products as being organic, they would have to use soil from land that has not had prohibited substances applied to it for the past three years, per the USDA. They would also have to maintain their organic certification, which requires an annual review and inspection. If they were operating as you’ve stated, than it sounds like they were operating illegally.

There are so many easy ways around that it's not even funny.

Shocking!

Yep! I wasn't joking. I like to mix actual suggestions in with nonsense just to keep myself awake.

Back