London, England GA options?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Going to visit for a week. I was wondering if there was a way to get some aerial sightseeing and put some UK time in my logbook?

Interested to hear what you find; my suspicion is that unless this is a big priority for you, it isn't going to be worth it.

As one data point, if you go out to "London" Oxford airport (EGTK), about an hour and a half (when there aren't rail strikes) outside London, there is a flight school that offers discovery flights etc. Pricing is what you would fear for Europe. If I remember right, they fly Piper products. It is super pretty for sightseeing, but as an add-on to a London visit, it will probably take up about a whole day unless you have a reason to go to Oxford already. (The airport also isn't exactly close to Oxford city centre, so you're looking at a pretty complicated travel itinerary if you won't have a car.)

There are probably other outlying airports "close" to London where this sort of thing could happen. But overall level of hassle and cost will be a little worse than an international visitor to downtown DC for a week wanting the same.

bloody good idea mate, cheerio! brilliant!

Thanks. Yeah, wasn’t interested in burning a whole day on a 1 hour flight.

It's going to be about the same in terms of time as it would if you wanted to do it from Manhattan. The center of major cities is rarely convenient to GA airports.

White Waltham, Redhill or Biggin Hill would be closer options than Oxford.

Personally, if I wanted to go for a flight in the UK, I’d probably go for the Tiger Moth than Harvard/T6.

(Depending on the rail travel) You could also go down to Shoreham Airport near Brighton - EGKA. There's a place called Perry Air where you can go up in a Tiger Moth or a Stampe SV4C. Obviously the Tiger Moth is the better known plane, but the Stampe is approved for aerobatics. I went up with them almost a decade ago, and loved it. Nice views across Brighton and the South Downs. Also my Mum lives on one of the houseboats close to the airport so make sure you wave as you go past...

AM-JKLVurX6sUHV-BTF3skR2YQaNKsFZsWdiBxY9MtVEJyDPzamRwuDtZ1e-d2G8BAXf5UXt97zpM8VcCBNvpbQidwmbsS68Cf3hnljlexfnTH43XXGCHicQ8ErJtgQ5Ph2TXDqcPEmAJpUpI55ct-tKD4hNuA=w1869-h1403-no

Back