Rant - Organic Peanut Butter

The fact that you disagree with something does not make it a lie.

Wait, wait. They organic producers/consumers are the one propagating the claim.
It's up to them to prove there is a significant difference!
Been waiting for a loong time for that scientific evidence.
Til then, I'm calling it a lie.
The onus is on them to prove this. I don't have to prove anything.

That's inconclusive, at best.
Same as above, I don't have to prove organic foods do not offer a significant difference to the public, the environment etc.
THEY have to prove it DOES.
If there really was a difference, I think by now they would be sharing that data, and it would be widely known.
You know, repeated and independent, blinded, case-controlled studies carried out to a statistical significance.

Of course, that won't change the mind of the feel-good crowd who typically suffer from Dunning-Krueger syndrome about everything.

I know we're ranting on peanut butter, and now tree huggers so I just want to say that I help out the environmental folks as I can..

They are raving about methane gas from cows harming the environment. I'm eating beef about a fast as I can ... :D

Wait, wait. They organic producers/consumers are the one propagating the claim.
It's up to them to prove there is a significant difference!
Been waiting for a loong time for that scientific evidence.
Til then, I'm calling it a lie.
The onus is on them to prove this. I don't have to prove anything.

Same as above, I don't have to prove organic foods do not offer a significant difference to the public, the environment etc.
THEY have to prove it DOES.
If there really was a difference, I think by now they would be sharing that data, and it would be widely known.
You know, repeated and independent, blinded, case-controlled studies carried out to a statistical significance.

Of course, that won't change the mind of the feel-good crowd who typically suffer from Dunning-Krueger syndrome about everything.
Everyone who makes an assertion has the burden of proof for their own assertions: you, me, everyone.

Not eveything that is unproven is a lie. You and I have both made unproven assertions. That doesn't make us liars. It might make us mistaken.

I have gotten over the complete lie that food marketing people have foisted upon the naive and gullible public with terms such as "Organic" food.

From a practical standpoint, I have yet to see convincing evidence that eating such labeled foods are better for any human, or that they help animals, or the environment.

if you are cancer survivor, growth hormone is not a substance you want in your diet and it is a carcinogen for everyone.

On the subject of peanut butter, I remember this abomination from when I was a kid. I think it's safe to say it wasn't organic.

iu

I have gotten over the complete lie that food marketing people have foisted upon the naive and gullible public with terms such as "Organic" food.

From a practical standpoint, I have yet to see convincing evidence that eating such labeled foods are better for any human, or that they help animals, or the environment.
A former employee was vegan and one day she was all proud of eating all organic produce. I could not help but inform her what they use as organic fertilizer.

One of my prouder moments as an adult. A good laugh was had by all...ok just me. She cried. Beginning to realize why I'm single.

A former employee was vegan and one day she was all proud of eating all organic produce. I could not help but inform her what they use as organic fertilizer.
It amazes me how often I run across people who are unaware of where meat comes from.

I can't get past the god awful taste.

I was taught how to eat it in Australia. You take toast, spread a generous layer of butter. Then a very thin film of vegemite/marmite.

It amazes me how often I run across people who are unaware of where meat comes from.

starting at about 13: 37

script:

Lynn: On his planet, they eat cats
the same way we eat cows.

Brian: We don't eat cows.

Lynn: Where do you think
hamburgers come from?

Brian: The supermarket.

starting at about 13: 37

script:

Lynn: On his planet, they eat cats
the same way we eat cows.

Brian: We don't eat cows.

Lynn: Where do you think
hamburgers come from?

Brian: The supermarket.

Alf for president!

F**** I just made a political statement. I'll probably get banned.

Alf was a genius. Maybe a better actor than Barney Rubble even.

So back to peanut butter... Hexane is organic. Dissolve the peanut butter in some hexane, then spread it around and let it flash dry. Yum! (And if you think that's nuts, you probably don't want to know how various "healthy" oils from seeds are made.) Oh, you could use benzene instead, but benzene has been demonstrated to probably be carcinogenic. But hexane hasn't, to my knowledge, probably because people haven't looked very hard. So it's OK.

I'm not the OP, my my answer would be, "It's a different experience." Sometimes I feel like eating some peanuts; sometimes I feel like eating a peanut butter sandwich

Yep. I loves some peanuts.... but turning them into actual peanut butter sounds more exhausting than trying to mix the separated contents of 'organic' peanut butter to spread on a PBJ.

Side note - one day my bro-in-law and I were at a ballgame and we got a sack o' peanuts... the olde fashioned kind with the shells and all.. I was happily cracking the shells, extracting the two nuts (legumes whatever) and eating them when I looked over at my bro-in-law.... he was just popping the entire peanut, shell and all, into his mouth and eating it...... I asked him, "What the f are you doing?" He said, "Try it." ...... Not. Bad. Not bad at all. You get all the salt and roasted goodness of le shell along with the innards. Not sure what that did to my digestive system on that day, but it did taste pretty good.

It’s not a complete lie. Organically labeled food hasn’t been grown and produced with pesticides, fertilizers, antibiotics or various hormones. There is a difference and it’s not a marketing gimmick.

Reduction in urinary organophosphate pesticide metabolites in adults after a week-long organic diet
Liza Oates 1 , Marc Cohen 2 , Lesley Braun 3 , Adrian Schembri 4 , Rilka Taskova 5

Abstract

Background: Conventional food production commonly uses organophosphate (OP) pesticides, which can have negative health effects, while organic food is deemed healthier because it is produced without these pesticides. Studies suggest that organic food consumption may significantly reduce OP pesticide exposure in children who have relatively higher pesticide exposure than adults due to their different diets, body weight, behaviour and less efficient metabolism.

Objectives: A prospective, randomised, crossover study was conducted to determine if an organic food diet reduces organophosphate exposure in adults.

Methods: Thirteen participants were randomly allocated to consume a diet of at least 80% organic or conventional food for 7 days and then crossed over to the alternate diet. Urinary levels of six dialkylphosphate metabolites were analysed in first-morning voids collected on day 8 of each phase using GC-MS/MS with detection limits of 0.11-0.51 μg/L.

Results: The mean total DAP results in the organic phase were 89% lower than in the conventional phase (M=0.032 [SD=0.038] and 0.294 [SD=0.435] respectively, p=0.013). For total dimethyl DAPs there was a 96% reduction (M=0.011 [SD=0.023] and 0.252 [SD=0.403] respectively, p=0.005). Mean total diethyl DAP levels in the organic phase were half those of the conventional phase (M=0.021 [SD=0.020] and 0.042 [SD=0.038] respectively), yet the wide variability and small sample size meant the difference was not statistically significant.

Conclusions: The consumption of an organic diet for one week significantly reduced OP pesticide exposure in adults. Larger scale studies in different populations are required to confirm these findings and investigate their clinical relevance.

Reduction in urinary organophosphate pesticide metabolites in adults after a week-long organic diet
Liza Oates 1 , Marc Cohen 2 , Lesley Braun 3 , Adrian Schembri 4 , Rilka Taskova 5

Abstract

Background: Conventional food production commonly uses organophosphate (OP) pesticides, which can have negative health effects, while organic food is deemed healthier because it is produced without these pesticides. Studies suggest that organic food consumption may significantly reduce OP pesticide exposure in children who have relatively higher pesticide exposure than adults due to their different diets, body weight, behaviour and less efficient metabolism.

Objectives: A prospective, randomised, crossover study was conducted to determine if an organic food diet reduces organophosphate exposure in adults.

Methods: Thirteen participants were randomly allocated to consume a diet of at least 80% organic or conventional food for 7 days and then crossed over to the alternate diet. Urinary levels of six dialkylphosphate metabolites were analysed in first-morning voids collected on day 8 of each phase using GC-MS/MS with detection limits of 0.11-0.51 μg/L.

Results: The mean total DAP results in the organic phase were 89% lower than in the conventional phase (M=0.032 [SD=0.038] and 0.294 [SD=0.435] respectively, p=0.013). For total dimethyl DAPs there was a 96% reduction (M=0.011 [SD=0.023] and 0.252 [SD=0.403] respectively, p=0.005). Mean total diethyl DAP levels in the organic phase were half those of the conventional phase (M=0.021 [SD=0.020] and 0.042 [SD=0.038] respectively), yet the wide variability and small sample size meant the difference was not statistically significant.

Conclusions: The consumption of an organic diet for one week significantly reduced OP pesticide exposure in adults. Larger scale studies in different populations are required to confirm these findings and investigate their clinical relevance.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24769399/

It’s not a complete lie. Organically labeled food hasn’t been grown and produced with pesticides, fertilizers, antibiotics or various hormones. There is a difference and it’s not a marketing gimmick.

of course, the flip side is the rather large reduction in crop yield of so-called organic vs the evil non-organic.

Abstract

lemme see if I understand this correctly....they not only say the difference was not significant, but then go on to say that pesticide levels were lower in people who ate less pesticides? and we need a study for that?

Last edited:
It’s not a complete lie.

Ahaha look up Randy Constant for a taste of what has been happening in the Organic industry; I take with a grain of (organic lol) salt protestations that his deceit is not representative of a larger % of the industry. There are so many unethical people out there who cannot resist the Organic potential profit that they will persist.
The USDA was so lax about the process, they were forced to step up enforcements… but it’s impossible to verify every final product is as advertised.

Last edited:
Wife brought home this peanut butter they were giving away at Whole "paycheck" Foods last week... it was natural, organic, range free, locally sourced, and handcrafted, in a biodegradable and recyclable glass jar with a special carbon free resealable snap on cap made from sustainable recycled water bottles with no carbon footprint.

We both agreed as to why they were giving it away. Oye~!~!~!

I'm not the OP, my my answer would be, "It's a different experience." Sometimes I feel like eating some peanuts; sometimes I feel like eating a peanut butter sandwich.

Similarly, sometimes I feel like eating an apple, and sometimes I feel like having some applesauce.

As the commercial jingle would say...."sometime you feel like a nut sometimes you don't...."

Last edited:
one day my bro-in-law and I were at a ballgame and we got a sack o' peanuts... the olde fashioned kind with the shells and all.. I was happily cracking the shells, extracting the two nuts (legumes whatever) and eating them when I looked over at my bro-in-law.... he was just popping the entire peanut, shell and all, into his mouth and eating it......

A guy I worked with used to side hustle boiled and roasted peanuts. Once while buying some of his products he gave me a bag of deep fried in the shell peanuts that were suppossed to be eaten as you describe. I tried a few but couldn't make myself like them enough to continue. Not horribly bad, just not my thing.

lemme see if I understand this correctly....they not only say the difference was not significant, but then go on to say that pesticide levels were lower in people who at less pesticides? and we need a study for that?

VBRQJv5.png

Prove it. They all cheat.

Side note - one day my bro-in-law and I were at a ballgame and we got a sack o' peanuts... the olde fashioned kind with the shells and all.. I was happily cracking the shells, extracting the two nuts (legumes whatever) and eating them when I looked over at my bro-in-law.... he was just popping the entire peanut, shell and all, into his mouth and eating it...... I asked him, "What the f are you doing?" He said, "Try it." ...... Not. Bad. Not bad at all. You get all the salt and roasted goodness of le shell along with the innards. Not sure what that did to my digestive system on that day, but it did taste pretty good.
That’s how I ate them all the time when I was a kid.

Back