Garmin pilot will now play nice with Stratus 3

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
As per their latest update 10.6

Just saw this on bookface. Kind of exciting. What's the chances of it working with the panel mount stratus stuff?

Stratux? I mean it's only one letter...c'mon man!

Has anybody gotten Garmin Pilot (Android) to connect to a Stratus 3? If so, what's the magic recipe? :)

Thanks.

Has anybody gotten Garmin Pilot (Android) to connect to a Stratus 3? If so, what's the magic recipe? :)

Thanks.
I did. No recipe. Just hit the blue connext button and they find each other.

I did. No recipe. Just hit the blue connext button and they find each other.
Thanks. It's apparent I'm doing something wrong. :)
  1. Connect to the Stratus via wifi.
  2. Confirm it's functioning by using another aviation app and verify local ADS-B traffic appears.
  3. Close the other aviation app.
  4. Open Pilot.
  5. Go to the Traffic page.
  6. Observe message "No Traffic Device. Check Device Connection."
  7. Click the blue "Connext" button.
  8. Nothing appears to happen.
Any help clarifying where I'm going wrong is appreciated. :)

Oh duh...I missed the "android" part. Annoyingly I don't think that feature had made it to the Android version yet. I bought an iPad mini because pilot kept crashing in flight on my Droid tablets. Sorry....

Garmin Support confirmed this morning that the Android version does not yet support Stratus. :mad2:

If you use a stratus 3 with Garmin Pilot will it show traffic alerts too or just the nearby traffic?

Garmin Pilot needs the Stratus 3 output in GDL90 mode. They typically default to lock on ForeFlight - so you need the Apparel app to be able to unlock ForeFlight mode and have it outputting the raw GDL90 signal. I believe - I don't have GP yet, but this is how it was for me to connect it to Appareo Insight (their own EFB).

I may resubscribe to GP and give it a try, as I am planning on adding a Garmin GPS at some point and would like the interoperability that provides. And it's cheaper than FF, which seems to be increasing annually at this point (with a whole bunch of features I don't use as well...).

iiiiiinnnnnteresting............ Years ago, I only switched to ForeFlight because the aeroplane we bought had a Stratus 3 and Garmin Pilote would not play nice with it.

Very very interesting.....

So if you look at device settings for the stratus 3 in GP it says it doesn’t support traffic proximity alerts. That’s what I find confusing. Has anyone tested it with a stratus 3?

Attachments

• 7572718B-E90E-4C25-BA80-B56EE510EF6A.jpeg
    7572718B-E90E-4C25-BA80-B56EE510EF6A.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 14
Back