Best VFR route from Kansas City to Sacramento

This thread is interesting. I live just outside KC and my daughter lives in Sacramento.

When my brother and I went to Oshkosh from California we took the I-80 route out and the I-90 route back. I've also done the I-10 and I-40 routes from Florida to California and California to Oklahoma. Those interstates were put where they are for a reason though I count myself lucky that I've never had to drive the I-10 across the country. That would be brutal.

When my brother and I went to Oshkosh from California we took the I-80 route out and the I-90 route back. I've also done the I-10 and I-40 routes from Florida to California and California to Oklahoma. Those interstates were put where they are for a reason though I count myself lucky that I've never had to drive the I-10 across the country. That would be brutal.

I drove I-10 all the way from Los Angeles to Florida in December 2016. Wasn't brutal to be honest, rather pleasant actually compared to the drive from Florida up into Canada after a few weeks in Florida... Now, that was brutal on so many levels lol.

Another vote here for the I-80 route. I've flown it in a light single (DA40) several times and it works quite well, especially in spring/summer/fall.
Wayne

I flew from Hays, KS back to the Seattle area some years back using the I-90 northern route. Easy. Just DO NOT push the weather. If you have to stay overnight here and there, so be it.
Hays,KS-->Douglas,WY-->Sheridan,WY-->Billings,MT-->Bozeman-->Helena-->Coeur d'Alene.

Some years later, I flew the eastern Oregon route south. Also easy. Even saw a U-2 out of Beale perform a low pass at Klamath Falls. When the pilot hit the throttle and pitched up, the ground shook and the FBO windows rattled.

I flew from Hays, KS back to the Seattle area some years back using the I-90 northern route. Easy. Just DO NOT push the weather. If you have to stay overnight here and there, so be it.
Hays,KS-->Douglas,WY-->Sheridan,WY-->Billings,MT-->Bozeman-->Helena-->Coeur d'Alene.

Some years later, I flew the eastern Oregon route south. Also easy. Even saw a U-2 out of Beale perform a low pass at Klamath Falls. When the pilot hit the throttle and pitched up, the ground shook and the FBO windows rattled.

I started a little further east (KRAP/Newcastle), but once I hit Billings that's the route I did, except I detoured to Kalispell at Missoula before going to COE.

I’m picking someone up in Denver. Then north along the Rockies, then west along I-80 through South Pass. At least that’s the plan!

Have a great trip. Post progress if you can.

Now you go through St. Louis
Joplin, Missouri
And Oklahoma City looks mighty pretty
You'll see Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Winona
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino

The first challenge is coming up, and I haven’t even started flying yet! Arriving at Kansas City International on United at midnight, and have to find a way to get to the downtown Greyhound station. Uber won’t let me reserve a ride that late. Hopefully will be able to find a taxi. Bus doesn’t leave until 5am.

Thanks! I’ll try that if I get stuck.
On a better day I could pop up there myself. I don’t remember the last time I saw cabs up there, everyone uses Ubers. There should be an info counter somewhere in the terminal with local transportation numbers. At that hour, KCI will either be a ghost town or very busy with delayed flights pouring in. Wx today has been good, so it should be pretty quiet. My guess is there’s going to be taxi transport but you may have to call and wait instead of just walking outside.

edit: not sure why, but when I read your post I thought you were coming in tonight.

Last edited:
You won't have any trouble getting transportation to the bus station at midnight, you're problem is going to be being at the bus station at midnight. Very bad area. If you can arrange something with a pick up time, try to stay at the airport until 3:30 or 4:00.

You won't have any trouble getting transportation to the bus station at midnight, you're problem is going to be being at the bus station at midnight. Very bad area. If you can arrange something with a pick up time, try to stay at the airport until 3:30 or 4:00.
Yep. That’s exactly what I did, as the bus station is closed from midnight until 4am. I booked a Lyft, and he showed up right at 3:30. Now at Chanute waiting for the rain to stop!

Looks like I should have persevered and continued the trip! Now there are afternoon t-storms forecast nearly every day in the Southwest. Perhaps I’ll need to leave it hangared until after the summer. Ugh. At least I’ve learned a lot about the weather.
I wouldn't do that. Just add another day or two to your trip. Just at morning civil twilight, to about noon, is roughly 7 hours of flight time this time of year. the afternoon boomers are just starting to build at that time (noonish). How far can you get in 7 hours, up high, with it's ears laid back?

Just landed at Laramie, Wyoming after two uneventful legs and one rather eventful. Taking off half an hour before sunset was amazing, and the air was super smooth. Landed after the second flight, checked the weather, and it all looked OK. Gassed up, checked oil, and headed west toward Rawlins, WY.

Then the no-fun part started. Turbulence. Lots of it. Tried different altitudes, and decided to divert into Laramie. Was very happy to be on the ground. Then I discovered an incredibly stupid and lucky mistake I made. When I checked the oil before the third flight, I took the oil cap off, and put it on the strut, like I always do. And then, you guessed it, I foolishly left it there! The most amazing thing is that it was still sitting on the strut after I landed! I don’t know how it survived being tossed around in that turbulence. And the engine was still full of oil. That was one of a series of lessons I learned today. 1) After getting up at 4:30 am, six hours of flying is probably enough. 2) Don’t tackle the Rockies in the middle of the day in a 600 pound airplane. 3) Always replace oil and fuel caps, etc.

So now it’s time to find a steak restaurant here (there are lots of them - I saw the steaks all roaming around when I was on final), and reflect on the mistakes I made today, which I hope to not make again. Then another 5:30 am takeoff tomorrow. First I have to figure out how to best navigate myself through Salt Lake City.

Edit: Been thinking about the oil-cap situation. There is no way it would have stayed in place during that flight. Now I’m thinking that I took it off as soon as I landed to check it, then got distracted by the fuel guys. But either way, aviating when tired in and in stressful situations is best avoided when able.

Last edited:

Edit: Been thinking about the oil-cap situation. There is no way it would have stayed in place during that flight. Now I’m thinking that I took it off as soon as I landed to check it, then got distracted by the fuel guys. But either way, aviating when tired in and in stressful situations is best avoided when able.

That makes waaaaaay more sense. And I'm glad this is the case. Clearly you were "Fried".

I had a strong-headwind trip from Memphis (OLV) back to Phoenix (GYR) a year ago. It was a long day in the saddle, and my plane was flying Cessna-172-esque speeds. I made it to El Paso and was tempted to continue. Wiser thoughts prevailed and I got a ride into town, hotel and a so-so meal at Chilis. Woke up the next morning and finished my flight relatively refreshed instead of doing the last portion of a long flight, already fatigued.

As I'm typing this, I'm just back from a little hole boring session, and limited myself to early morning flying, as it's a-hundred-and-**** here in the Phoenix Valley for the next couple of days. The turbulence and possibilities for convective activity make flying not-so-fun

I’m rarely an advice giver, as my spouse handles that role very well. But something I picked up from an old guy who didn’t lose/misplace stuff was, don’t sit it down. Keep it in your hand or on your person. Yea, difficult @ times, but it helps. FWIW.

F76CEF41-B3E1-460F-9C69-C8B6F3FA15B6.jpeg 8E69D64B-206F-4DAD-A3F5-28E5318E033A.jpeg Just got back. What an adventure! Really enjoyed the three hops today from Salt Lake City to Grass Valley, despite moderate turbulence over Reno/Tahoe. Getting up early and launching at or before sunrise is definitely the way to go!

Last edited:
I have crossed the country 7 or 8 times in my Dakota. I would go via I-90 to about Spokane, then south to Klamath Falls and into California.

I have crossed the country 7 or 8 times in my Dakota. I would go via I-90 to about Spokane, then south to Klamath Falls and into California.
I kind of wish I would have done the more scenic northern route. I’ll save that for the next trip!

Back