The Right Side

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Not politics.

TLDR: 2/2 Landings, but awkward on final.

Finally, my wife and I have been going flying about once a week. When I take left seat we will alternate and she practices right seat takeoffs and landings. She is easily good enough to take up passengers that way if she wants.

So this last time she was left and I was right and gave it a go. It mainly felt weird and new. I also started processing very manually, one action at a time.

The final leg was my most challenging portion. Both times I felt crabbed but no wind. Was just way too right and crappy alignment. I was about 7mph slower than I would normally be where I like 80mph over the numbers and was closer to 70mph. I had over cranked the elevator trim earlier and when I went to add a touch of throttle I over did it a bit, nose pitched up and brought back all those pre-solo training sessions with excessive elevator up trim and throttle...push forward and hard!. Caught that quickly, flew it down with 30 flaps and basically greased it LOL.

The second one was better, but again not desired setup on final. No surprises on final but same crappy alignment. Was slow again but not quite as bad. Didnt grease it but it didn't really thunk either. So I know I can do it, but very awkward.

Some Lessons Learned:
Chair fly it first instead of cold turkey
Get scan figured out, especially airspeed.
Learn alignment during taxi/takeoff for landing.
Move left in my seat about 1" toward center.
Avoid left crosswind for now!
Practice takeoff stall recovery go around up high
No less than 10 more reps before re-solo.
Thinking at least 25 total reps before passenger.

One more interesting thing. I really liked the right side landing picture. It was almost natural compared to left side. Maybe a right eye dominant thing.

20220625_160556.jpg

Last edited:
When I got my 180 my dad had never landed from the right seat. Even taxiing was difficult for him for some reason, like he had never done it before. Once in there air was mostly fine until landing. He pulled mixture when he meant to pull carb heat. WHOA! Once on the ground we swapped seats, all was fine in the world. I don't have the same problems, although for whatever reason didn't really feel that I needed left rudder on landing. But the scan from the right and not having asi in front of me was different. Like leaving the house without your phone and wallet

Just curious about right seat flying. Is it “legal” to fly from the right seat with a non-pilot passenger in the left seat if you are not a CFI? Even more curious with the garden variety Cherokees having the fuel valve on the left side out of reach of the right seat pilot is this legal since the pilot can not reach it?

Just curious about right seat flying. Is it “legal” to fly from the right seat with a non-pilot passenger in the left seat if you are not a CFI? Even more curious with the garden variety Cherokees having the fuel valve on the left side out of reach of the right seat pilot is this legal since the pilot can not reach it?
Yes. FAA doesn't care where PIC sits. Insurance or a flight club might want PIC in the left seat.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/1999/may/pilot/the-right-seat

I fly right seat all the time…even sometimes solo…a long time helicopter pilot that’s the position you fly from…but the majority of my time is in tandem attack Aircraft and even then as PIC we picked seats based on mission…I spend a lot of time in the right seat lol…

Cherokees having the fuel valve on the left side out of reach of the right seat pilot
If I were solo in a Cherokee it might be easier to reach from the right seat. Sheesh, what a terrible design.

If I were solo in a Cherokee it might be easier to reach from the right seat. Sheesh, what a terrible design.

With my little T-Rex arms I need to take the shoulder harness off to reach it. o_O

Back