Airline Flying This Summer

What is the old saying? If you absolutely have to be on time… fly GA? ;-)

I'm at work right now flying a four-day trip. Including my commute, I've had six flights that all arrived early. All flights were either full or nearly full.

I have not flown through any NYC-area airports, but did fly through Florida (MCO).

So, it's not all bad.

I did my first airline trip after getting KCM back. Oh that was glorious!

I probably just jinxed myself now, and will get randomed next time through....

If you are suggesting renting a car to drive, you haven't priced rental cars lately.

Booked a minivan for Thursday morning through Monday morning for a group event.

$1000. Yes. ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for 4 days.

If you are suggesting renting a car to drive, you haven't priced rental cars lately.

I just got a car for 3 days for a couple hundred bucks. Guess it depends where you're getting it.

I had pretty good luck with a last-minute business trip to Buenos Aries two weeks ago, although the scheduling was ugly. EWR to Panama City on United was on time. But that was followed by an overnight 'weather' delay there before continuing on with Copa air. I never quite decided if 'weather' was code for 'maintenance'.

Flights back on Air Canada to Sao Paulo, then United to EWR were both on time. Biggest annoyance was learning that in Sao Paulo they run deplaning international passengers through security screening again before they are allowed down the concourse to board their next flight. So of course any liquids over 100 ml are confiscated. So all of the liquor bought in the Buenos Aires duty free shop is confiscated even though one never left the secure zone. Checked bags were checked through to the final destination, so there was no option to stash anything there. I was NOT a happy camper.

They were snagging too much booze for the security folks to easily drink, so I assume they had an agreement to send it back on the next flight to Buenos Aires to be re-sold again...and again...and again.

I just got a car for 3 days for a couple hundred bucks. Guess it depends where you're getting it.

I just got back from San Diego where I had a Nissan Murano for 9 days and paid $410 at KSAN.

I'm at work right now flying a four-day trip. Including my commute, I've had six flights that all arrived early. All flights were either full or nearly full.

I have not flown through any NYC-area airports, but did fly through Florida (MCO).

So, it's not all bad.

It hasn't been bad at all for me, and I'm based in NYC. But I also bid mornings, so that eliminates most of the issues.

So all of the liquor bought in the Buenos Aires duty free shop is confiscated

I had that happen once when going to the Philippines.

When they told me I could not take it with me, I opened it and drained into the trash can.

Also one time I had my .8 ounce saline solution nasal spray confiscated. Same thing, opened and drained. Funny part was I had two more identical bottles in my carry on that went through...

We were late departing for Copenhagen a few days ago. We didn’t even have a third FO at my report time so I thought we were going to cancel but they ended up finding one and flying him up from DC. We left about 4 hours late. On the way back to JFK we were delayed again due to the late arriving aircraft. We got to JFK and was told our gate wouldn’t be open for 30 minutes (we were already late). We got a gate change to a gate that had a plane in it and had to be towed off. We finally got another gate change to one of and had to wait another 15 minutes for a plane to move out of our way. Yea it was a cluster. I don’t remember an international flight I’ve done that wasn’t delayed. I’m doing Edinburgh out of BOS later this week and I hear our ops in BOS is a disaster as well. But I made my dinner date that night!

Rented a crossover a few months ago. I don't remember the total cost, but it wasn't crazy. It did take them a while to find the correct sized vehicle. Same thing happened 6 months prior. Cost wasn't bad, but them finding a normal sized vehicle was a pain.

Even global entry is becoming useless. Everyone has it now. Most of the time, I’ll just use the mobile passport line because it’s shorter than GE

That is not my experience. The most I have had to wait for a GE kiosk has been about 60 seconds.

I haven't entered through ATL in a while.

But at IAD without it, it can take over an hour in line.

Back