ScaleWings SW51

RhinoDrvr

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RhinoDrvr
So, I’ll preface this with saying that it’s going to take a lot for me to walk away from my RV-8. But….

If the literature from ScaleWings is accurate, the experimental version of their SW51 Mustang replica will do;

180ktas on 6gph @ max cruise
Rotax 915is
50 gal gas (extended tanks)
25 gal gas (standard tanks)
570lb useful load (standard)
850lb useful load (experimental)
1000nm range (8 hours at 140kt cruise)

It’s got 2 seats, and the back seater gets an instrument panel. My only real question is interior room. The RV is pretty comfy, but ScaleWings claims the SW51 will fit a pilot up to 6’7”….not sure the RV-8 would do that.

I could see something like this scratching the sport pilot itch for a lot of people if they’re able to see it through. What does the hive mind think of the airplane, for an RV style / sport flying mission.

USA LSA rules require fixed gear. That's going to make flybys look rather odd.

Its EAB, not LSA…hence the 1600lb gross weight.
Ah. I had heard elsewhere that they were pursuing ELSA. I guess the plane put on a few pounds during development? I see that EASA UL is still listed in the specs as 600kg (1320lbs).

I like the T-51 better.

Are there any flying?

So, I’ll preface this with saying that it’s going to take a lot for me to walk away from my RV-8. But….

If the literature from ScaleWings is accurate, the experimental version of their SW51 Mustang replica will do;

180ktas on 6gph @ max cruise
Rotax 915is
50 gal gas (extended tanks)
25 gal gas (standard tanks)
570lb useful load (standard)
850lb useful load (experimental)
1000nm range (8 hours at 140kt cruise)

It’s got 2 seats, and the back seater gets an instrument panel. My only real question is interior room. The RV is pretty comfy, but ScaleWings claims the SW51 will fit a pilot up to 6’7”….not sure the RV-8 would do that.

I could see something like this scratching the sport pilot itch for a lot of people if they’re able to see it through. What does the hive mind think of the airplane, for an RV style / sport flying mission.
Looks pretty cool. But I just cannot get my head wrapped around what it would sound like. It would be like playing a 33rpm version of Bad To The Bone at 45. Or sitting in it making airplane noises on Helium.

Looks pretty cool. But I just cannot get my head wrapped around what it would sound like. It would be like playing a 33rpm version of Bad To The Bone at 45. Or sitting in it making airplane noises on Helium.
Surely a @nauga type can explain the acoustical harmonics/human perception of a 4 blade prop vs a 4cyl engine at Rotax speeds?

So, like, this thing was designed in Germany. Germany is a foreign country where the Ultralight / Light Sport rules are different than in the U.S. Retracts are allowed.
The U.S. built the original Mustang to help defeat Germany.
If the rules were consistent between the U.S. and Europe, then companies could market and sell their aircraft to a much larger pilot base and potentially achieve better economies of scale. We wouldn't want anything like that to happen.
A US version would have to have fixed gear if it were intended to fit into the LSA catagory - doesn't seem that this would be that hard to arrange - so easy even a kit builder could do it. You also may need to slow it down a bit. Leaving the gear hanging out would help.
It is offered at two gross weights 600kg (1322lbs) or 750kg (1653lbs) depending on how / where someone wants to operate it.
If you have a medical, you could fly the original retractable version even in the U.S.
This is not unusual. For example Searey offers LSA and E-AB options with weights of 1430 and up to 1505 respectively (but you could declare your gross to be 1430 on an E-AB kit and still fly under yea olde sport pilot rules).
The SW-51 first flew in May 2021.
Allegedly they have been shipping kits since last October. They claim the kits meets the FAA's so called "51%" rule.
Assembled production aircraft are to be sold as "Experimental Exhibition" in the U.S. which suggests they aren't trying that hard for the LSA catagory.
"All of the rivets, even the interior shop heads, are molded reproductions of the original Mustang." https://www.avweb.com/air-shows-events/sun-n-fun/phenomenal-sw-51-debuts-at-sun-n-fun/ YGTBFSM.
This is what it sounds like (Sorry, Rotax haters.):

I ain't gonna be buying one any time soon. If anyone cares.

Last edited:
I like the T-51 better.

Both of those are powered by engines from Japan. Japan was one of the countries we were at war with when the P51 was developed.
And, if you believe the video, they sound more like a symphony orchestra than a Merlin...

Almost makes getting my medical worth it!

Both of those are powered by engines from Japan. Japan was one of the countries we were at war with when the P51 was developed.
And, if you believe the video, they sound more like a symphony orchestra than a Merlin...

Not that any of this matters today but ScaleWings is based in Germany. We were at war with Germany when the P-51 entered service.

I’ll take the sound of a Titan auto conversion any day over a Rotax. And it’s metal. A composite P-51 replica is just sacrilegious. ;)

Maybe it will sometime in the future when they come out with BF109 and FW190 models.

With fake Swastikas. ;) I didn’t even realize they had a law on that stuff til I saw this vid a few months back.

Last edited:
I’ll take the sound of a Titan auto conversion any day over a Rotax. And it’s metal. A composite P-51 replica is just sacrilegious.
The Titan is an impressive airplane but its accident record isn't very good.

Also, we’re ignoring the fact that the titan doesn’t look as accurate; nor have the performance.

I’m ignoring the auto conversion engines. Rotax is about as far away as I’m willing to go from the ole Lycosaurous….

The Titan is an impressive airplane but its accident record isn't very good.

Well, I think the early auto conversions and ones that weren’t built according to plans are the only ones with issues. Then there’s just bad ADM as well.

Also, we’re ignoring the fact that the titan doesn’t look as accurate; nor have the performance.

I’m ignoring the auto conversion engines. Rotax is about as far away as I’m willing to go from the ole Lycosaurous….

I agree. The SW is slightly more accurate. Don’t think the spinner / prop and canopy are as scale looking as the Titan though.

Too bad they gave it a bubble canopy and not the much prettier razorback configuration

Well, I think the early auto conversions and ones that weren’t built according to plans are the only ones with issues. Then there’s just bad ADM as well.

So it’s the prop? flying it with no cowl didn’t add any drag?I bet that was a interesting conversation with the faa.

So it’s the prop? flying it with no cowl didn’t add any drag?I bet that was a interesting conversation with the faa.

Dan Gryder did an episode on this accident on Probable Cause. Bad ADM was an understatement.

Yeah I couldn’t believe he was flying without the cowl on. Bad spot to have an engine failure but I wonder if that increase in drag didn’t allow him the airspeed for a proper flare for landing. Shame because it was a nice looking T-51.

Back