Mute Radio Chatter for Co-pilot G1000?

Garavar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Garavar
Is there a way to mute the ATC radio chatter for co-pilot (passenger) but still allow them to hear and speak to me on intercom? I know you can do it for passengers in back so they don't hear the chatter but can still talk to each other but I am referring to co-pilot position.

Specially what I am trying to accomplish is... my wife sits next to me in Copilot seat. The constant radio chatter from ATC gives her a headache but I need to listen to it for instructions. So I want to be able to mute it for her but still be able to talk to each other during flight. Possible on G1000 panel comm panel?

If nothing else, just plug her headset into the rear jacks with an extension cable.

You could use the split coms function so the pilot is on com 1 and the copilot is on com 2 and then turn the volume all the way down on com 2. If you do that you have to remember that com 2 isn’t available for the pilot to use unless you deselect split coms.

For a few bucks, you could have your avionics shop switch the copilot jacks over to the passenger circuit.

Just know that if she can’t hear ATC, she might start talking to you while you are listening to instructions from ATC.

Is there a way to mute the ATC radio chatter for co-pilot (passenger) but still allow them to hear and speak to me on intercom? I know you can do it for passengers in back so they don't hear the chatter but can still talk to each other but I am referring to co-pilot position.

Specially what I am trying to accomplish is... my wife sits next to me in Copilot seat. The constant radio chatter from ATC gives her a headache but I need to listen to it for instructions. So I want to be able to mute it for her but still be able to talk to each other during flight. Possible on G1000 panel comm panel?

My wife is the same way, does not like the radio chatter. From what I could tell it is not possible? Probably for the reasons mentioned above?

If nothing else, just plug her headset into the rear jacks with an extension cable.

I will give this a try next flight with her, thanks.

I am not sure this would work because I believe only the passengers can hear each other not the pilot. I don't have an extension cable to test it out or any passengers to experiment with. Maybe Gary can update us for future readers.

You could use the split coms function so the pilot is on com 1 and the copilot is on com 2 and then turn the volume all the way down on com 2. If you do that you have to remember that com 2 isn’t available for the pilot to use unless you deselect split coms.

That should do the trick for now, thanks.

The ps engineering pma450B can do that, it mutes the passenger if com channel is active.

no idea about g1000

Not all G1000 installations are approved for split COMs. I know the C172SP isn't and is disabled from the factory.
upload_2022-6-26_15-53-18.png
The ps engineering pma450B can do that, it mutes the passenger if com channel is active.
Earlier PS-Engineering ones can too. The PMA7000B can be configured so that the passengers and crew can hear each other but only the crew hear the radios.

Don't think it would work. The rear passengers cannot hear the pilot.

Really? Seems like that could be a safety issue. There has to be some way to let the passengers hear the pilot over intercom and not the radio.

Don't think it would work. The rear passengers cannot hear the pilot.

In all the airplanes I've been in (which admittedly is less than ten), the pilot has always been able to talk on the intercom with the pax. None of those planes were less than 40 years old. I would think that a modern radio/intercom would be able to do something a much older product could do when it's as simple as allowing the pilot to talk on both intercom and radio.

Back