Confused about SI and Sleep Apnea and BasicMed

Matt Goodrich

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
My 3rd class (non SI) expired at the end of Feb. I was diagnosed and treated for sleep apnea while that medical was still valid. I talked to my AME prior to my exam and he told me he would have to defer after the exam.

My SI info was sent off in Feb and I’m still waiting to hear anything back. I have been getting impatient and exploring other options. In the last 24 hours I have found a few things and I’m not sure where to go from here…

1.) Looks like my AME could have issues my medical instead of deferring according to this: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...e/guide/media/FAA OSA Reference Materials.pdf

2.) It does not appear Sleep Apnea is a listed condition under BasicMed that would require me to get a special issuance first.

Do I have any options to get back in the air? Could my AME still issue me something even if he already deferred? Can I go BasicMed while waiting for my SI?

You need to finish medical application and turn the deferral into an issued medical certificate. There is no specific prohibition against operating under BasicMed with a deferral, but if that deferral turns into a denial, BasicMed is off the table.

Yes, you could have been issued and then have 90 days to send supporting documents to the FAA. A lot of AMEs think that they have to defer any newly diagnosed medical problem. I’m not sure why that is. Maybe it used to be that way, but now all the rules for medical certification are online and easy to find- as you have researched- and there is no excuse for my colleagues to be making mistakes like this other than ignorance or laziness.

Follow Brad Z’s advice: there is nothing for you to do now other than see this through. You won’t be denied unless you let it happen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back