Looking for an AA5 and PA-28 in the NW FL area

tculpepp

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tculpepp
So I'm narrowing down what I want to target in my first airplane purchase and I've got the PA-28 (probably 140/160 just based on budget) and the Grumman AA5 at the top of the list currently.

One thing I am having a hard time determining is whether either aircraft will be comfortable for me at 6'6" tall. If anyone in the NW FL area has either aircraft and is willing to let me test the fit and maybe offer some experienced opinions, I can offer a frosty beverage or two. Bonus points if I can toss you some gas money and we take it for a quick flight!

I'm currently working on my PPL and really looking forward to spending more time in the air!

Thanks!
-tom

So that is actually the plane that kicked the AA5 into a top contender spot for me. If I was a few months down the road with my PPL I would be arranging a trip up to see and possibly try to buy that plane, but unfortunately that is not the current situation. I'd hate to buy a plane and let it sit for a few months while I finish my PPL. (I'm locked into the current flight school arrangement due to funding requirements)

If it's still listed when I get closer though, I'm all over that one!

Oh man! I was actually planning a trip to Pensacola before my "plans" changed which led to me selling the plane. Weird.

too funny. Well if you decide to take the plane out for another weekend before it sells, lunch is on me!

in the unlikely event it hasn’t sold in a few months, you’re at the top of list. (For your sake I hope it isn’t still available!)

I have an AA5 that I just started renting out to select folks. I'm in north central FL. It's also for sale.

The plane is currently flying around the Bahamas with one of my renters though. When it gets back, I am more than happy to let you sit in it.

I have an AA5 that I just started renting out to select folks. I'm in north central FL. It's also for sale.

The plane is currently flying around the Bahamas with one of my renters though. When it gets back, I am more than happy to let you sit in it.

I can probably bribe a buddy to fly down there one day. What’s the home airport when it isn’t running around in the Bahamas?

X60 is home.

Let me check with the renter and see when he plans on coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks. No rush (unless you get a buyer in the hook). The friend I had in mind to fly us down is out of town for a few more weeks anyway.

At 6'6" tall the AA5 canopy can be a challenge. I instruct in an AA5 & have a short, high-density foam cushion that I put in place of the factory seat cushion for my taller learners. I love the AA5 but wish it was a bit taller in the cabin. I'm 5'10" & have had my head bonked on the canopy more than once in turbulence.

I don’t have either of those planes but you are welcome to come for a flight with me in my Beech Sierra. I’m based at ECP in Panama City. Your height might be an issue in it though as well. No charge if you want to go up in it sometime as it gives me a good reason to go flying. My mechanic on the field normally has 5-6 planes in their hanger or in front and would let you sit in them I’m sure as well (with owner’s permission). Either way, let me know. Good luck.

At 6'6" tall the AA5 canopy can be a challenge. I instruct in an AA5 & have a short, high-density foam cushion that I put in place of the factory seat cushion for my taller learners. I love the AA5 but wish it was a bit taller in the cabin. I'm 5'10" & have had my head bonked on the canopy more than once in turbulence.

That's what I was afraid of. I appreciate the candid info. I was watching a video where they talked about the upright high sitting position as a great feature and became a bit concerned. Still going to try to find one to try, but not feeling hopeful

I’m 6’1” and had plenty of headroom in my AA5B and could put seat far enough back I couldn’t reach rudder pedals. At 6’6” it will depend if most of your height is in your legs or torso.

This is a good point. At 6'3" I do have to "duck" to close the canopy but have enough room after it is closed. I think I have a longer torso though. I can definitely move the seat far enough back that I am stretching for the rudder pedals. The seat cushions are not affixed to the seat bottoms except for a couple of ties at the back. So thinner seat cushions are a possibility.

I thought there was an AA5 out of Milton.

Back