Can built-in oxygen be added to a Cirrus SR20?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
The SR22 has built-in oxygen, the SR20 does not, but it does have any empty plate for where the oxygen button would go. Does anyone know or have a diagram of what's involved behind-the-panel for the Cirrus's built-in oxygen system? Is the panel mount switch also the regulator and it simply connects up to the oxygen bottle so all you need is the panel switch plus oxygen bottle? Also, where is the oxygen bottle mounted?

Bonus question: what goes in the empty slot between the oxygen switch and the flaps switch? It looks like it's designed for something to go there but I've never seen anything in that spot on any Cirrus's.

Fc1id1RBZ5Zm.jpg

I’ve never seen it in a 20. Precise Flight makes a kit for 22’s. Maybe call them?

Most times, switch turns it off and on.

The tank valve and regulator may be a single unit. You have have to run hoses to the cockpit to plug in your cannula or mask.

Are you planning to take a 20 to Oxygen levels?

The levels at which O2 is helpful can be way below the level at which it is required, especially at night.

I know someone (not a pilot) with what is apparently a fairly mild case of COPD, and her O2 sat level drops into the mid-80's at around 4,000 ft. Another case where easy access to O2 is helpful.

The levels at which O2 is helpful can be way below the level at which it is required, especially at night.

I know someone (not a pilot) with what is apparently a fairly mild case of COPD, and her O2 sat level drops into the mid-80's at around 4,000 ft. Another case where easy access to O2 is helpful.

So, maybe the OP has a pulmonary impairment, or has a potential passenger with that. Gotcha.

Perhaps, but it would seem more economical for Cirrus to design and produce for the majority rather than the fringes.

Perhaps, but it would seem more economical for Cirrus to design and produce for the majority rather than the fringes.

I agree, I was just giving another reason why O2 might be desirable below what are normally considered the O2 levels.

Of course, I fly a '75 Skyhawk, so even a base model Cirrus is 'the fringes' from where I sit. :)

The real answer to the OP question is yes, you can do it. Will you like the cost? Probably not.

So, maybe the OP has a pulmonary impairment, or has a potential passenger with that. Gotcha.
Or they want the best human performance at night time, even as low as 8K feet or so. I've known astronomers to swill 02 at high altitudes.

I'm not a mechanic, so I shouldn't be guessing...but I'm bored and it's the Internet, so I will. My guess is if you bolt it to the panel, you're going to have to use the identical certified parts - probably panel w/ some sort of computer built in or attached, transducer, regulator, solenoid, etc., and then sort out out what kind of permission or paperwork to retrofit it into a completely different aircraft. No idea if it's a minor or major modification.

Normally the gauge and regulator go right on the tank. No idea if they make little transducers small enough to safely replace the analog gauge, so that you could rig up a similar but less expensive portable version that would velcro onto the panel, less the solenoid.

Oh, and for the middle section, I would add a button for rockets. Or maybe a siren.

I'm not a mechanic, so I shouldn't be guessing...but I'm bored and it's the Internet, so I will. My guess is if you bolt it to the panel, you're going to have to use the identical certified parts - probably panel w/ some sort of computer built in or attached, transducer, regulator, solenoid, etc., and then sort out out what kind of permission or paperwork to retrofit it into a completely different aircraft. No idea if it's a minor or major modification.

Normally the gauge and regulator go right on the tank. No idea if they make little transducers small enough to safely replace the analog gauge, so that you could rig up a similar but less expensive portable version that would velcro onto the panel, less the solenoid.

Oh, and for the middle section, I would add a button for rockets. Or maybe a siren.
If it is installed/fixed then it will need an STC or 337.

If its a portable O2 tank then they need nothing.

You might find an IA that will sign off a field mod installing a 22 O2 system in a 20 but make sure you clear it first before you buy parts

I have flown up to 23,000 feet in my C-210d just fine with my very inexpensive oxy top.JPG homemade oxy system based on a medical regulator and would not want built in. It is far cheaper to fill your own at home by buying or renting a big, size K, floor cylinder. Also, if I run out and no FBO there that can fill I can take my tank to a local welding shop almost anywhere and get it filled for next to nothing. Yes, welding oxy works just fine. The Oxy suppliers only make one grade of oxy.

Back