KHTO might be looking to close?

Sounds like a pretty busy place. Lot of aviation articles are poorly written-this author get the award for some great adjective/adverb use imo. Got a good couple of chuckles out of it
https://www.danspapers.com/2020/12/...8RIocAnhWyXUEnaOs_OGEsSoNKVxC-Tl7pRdUsfUB4isc
https://www.danspapers.com/2020/12/...8RIocAnhWyXUEnaOs_OGEsSoNKVxC-Tl7pRdUsfUB4isc

The wealthy elite has been trying to shut that down for years. And the town knows that land has far more value to put up some more mansions that will get taxed beyond belief. It has been know for years us common folk are not welcome at that airport.

i flew out of hto for over 30 years, and the last 30 years the people who bought cheap land close to the airport knowing it was there have wanted it gone since they moved into there homes. a bunch of spoiled a holes .i was glad to get the heck out of there 20 years ago .sold my hangars and now have a house and hangar in a nice air park . hto will close in a few years and all the new slobs will get there way. welcome to 2020. eta i lived 6 miles away from the airport my whole life,never bothered me.

i flew out of hto for over 30 years, and the last 30 years the people who bought cheap land close to the airport knowing it was there have wanted it gone since they moved into there homes. a bunch of spoiled a holes .i was glad to get the heck out of there 20 years ago .sold my hangars and now have a house and hangar in a nice air park . hto will close in a few years and all the new slobs will get there way. welcome to 2020

exactly. Take advantage of cheap land (comparatively speaking), then complain about what made it cheap.

somewhere along the way, someone should’ve told these narcissistic alpha hotels to cram it, and instead they placated them. The net result is that we have an enormous segment of the population who believes that my rights end where their feelings and wants begin...

The wealthy elite has been trying to shut that down for years. And the town knows that land has far more value to put up some more mansions that will get taxed beyond belief. It has been know for years us common folk are not welcome at that airport.
I flew into HTO last year and thought the airport and people more than accommodating. In fact, although there wasn't an FBO on the field, when I had a mechanical issue, a couple kind gentlemen went far out of their way to help. They lent me tools, advice, a hangar, and even a pickup truck to use while waiting a day for a new starter to be FedExed from Spruce. PS. I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, but aren't "Wealthy Elites" the ones primarily using this airport, why would they want it closed?

IMG_6962.jpg

I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, but aren't "Wealthy Elites" the ones primarily using this airport, why would they want it closed?

In a word, NOISE.

The charter helicopter traffic to and from NYC is robust in the summer season. The cost of the trip is high enough that only the top tier of wealth (let's call them the one percenters) can afford it regularly, but there are enough of them to bother the next 9 percenters. And it is they who don't like whitecaps in their martinis or to be rudely waked up from their beauty sleep at 4pm. My lord man, that's a full hour before coctail time!

The town officials have tried to map out noise sensitive areas and encourage charter companies to plan routes around them. But then someone else is being put upon, and the cycle starts over.

And they are LOUD! I live just under the straight line route from KLGA to KTEB, and they fly over my apartment on the west end of their charter flights. I'll take light GA plane noise all day long, but the heavy helicopters do indeed make a hellacious racket. I can't say I like it, but I do live in Manhattan so mostly I am (we are) used to lots of noise from multiple sources. So we just tolerate that. -Skip

Last edited:
HTO is a great place Sept to May. I bought my Comanche from a guy who has been there for decades. There's some amazing machinery in those hangars.

I wonder how AOPA is involved if at all including their airport watch people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They might not want to close the airport. Then the rich people would have to go to *gasp* JFK!

That got me looking at Gardiner's Island, where there is a beautiful 2 runway un-charted grass airstrip. Totally private and they certainly don't want you landing there, but if you happen to have engine trouble while flying over the sound.........

Airports are convenient targets for municipalities, especially if they don't own them, or they covet the land for some other purpose. I'm fortunate that our local airport is municipally owned, and is associated with an FAA-funded business park (airpark). We just sold the last parcel of the airpark so that we will soon be completely occupied with businesses. In addition, a recent economic impact study, conducted in collaboration with the local college, estimated the economic impact of the airport (not including the airpark businesses) to be in excess of $1 million per year for a village of 3000 and its immediate environs. One of the new businesses at the airpark regards the airport as an important factor in locating its operations. Communities with GA airports should be doing more to communicate to the public the impact of the airport on local economics as well as the taxable property base.

Yes it is! Love this airplane. Do you know it?
Yes knew tom my whole life. back in the sixty's tom and my father and others started a flying club at hto. they both bought there own aircraft soon after.also when the the new first set of hangars were built his unit was across from mine. Tom worked with great vigor to make the airport the best it could be, a truly great person . you are a very lucky person in that you own the nicest Comanche on the planet. even with your small avatar photo i knew it was his.i unfortunately lost touch with many when i moved 20 years ago. PM me i would like to know more.fly suave.

The land that the municipal airport is on where I grew up in Texas was donated by a family. It is somehow worded in the deed that as long as there is an airport on the property, the land belongs to the city. But if the airport is closed the land goes back to the family.

Many years back the city was looking for an airport manager. I applied, and during the hiring process I was asked how I would take care of cutting the grass, it comes out of the airport manager salary. I just said I would lease the land to farmers to grow hay and let them take care of the cutting. OMG the city council and city attorney had a cow.!!! I was told that there could be no business on the land that was not aviation related. I ended up not taking the job.

Last I heard, a rancher is growing hay on the airport property, and it is still an airport.

A post on a "rich pilots" board complaining about the "rich hamptonites"......lol.

A post on a "rich pilots" board complaining about the "rich hamptonites"......lol.

The definition of "rich" is similar to the definition of "old". ;) Someone is old if they are 20 years or more older than yourself. Someone is rich if they are X times wealthier than yourself; I'm not sure what multiplier the X is, but I've heard the "20+ years" stated previously.

Judge blocked the privatization of the East Hampton airport so the town wants to close it now. Interested parties have just bought Montauk Airport to make sure they have a place to operate out of.

Judge blocked the privatization of the East Hampton airport so the town wants to close it now. Interested parties have just bought Montauk Airport to make sure they have a place to operate out of.

Montauk isn’t that big, so not sure what they think they are gonna accomplish with that.

I hope they expand Montauk. Rumours are that Blade bought it and they fly helicopters from NYC to the Hamptons.

I hope they expand Montauk. Rumours are that Blade bought it and they fly helicopters from NYC to the Hamptons.

They need to leave it as is. If they expand the locals will look to **** it down as well. The wealthy have already messed up the east end enough.

I don't like seeing airports being closed because of whiny people that bought near said existing airport and then complain, but what's wrong with using FOK ?

I fly into FOK but it can be an hour to drive to East Hampton. I'm just going to Westhampton which is about 5 minutes.

I fly into FOK but it can be an hour to drive to East Hampton. I'm just going to Westhampton which is about 5 minutes.
Wait… are they not one in the same??

Gabreski / West Hampton / FOK

You're right. 5 minutes to my friend's house in Westhampton.

Back