Osh for just one day

Country Flier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
CFL
Its been 20 years since I've last been to Air venture, and when I went last, I drove, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but is it worth doing just a single day at Oshkosh? I live just a few flight hours away, and I was thinking of flying in early to a satellite airport, taking a shuttle to and from, then flying home late. I might actually consider two separate days like this, if it's feasible. Anyone ever do it this way? What would be the best satellite airport? What times should I plan to arrive and leave?

The way you're talking, I'm concerned you're looking at more like a 'long half-day,' due to all the travel time and logistics.
It's really really really big, and even with multiple days, you'll miss a lot.
Two of these 'long half-days' seem much better. If you can do it without having to take the time to travel all the way home and back, that's ideal. But, that requires a close-by place to stay, which is not easy at all.
Could you fly into Oshkosh itself for the day?

The way you're talking, I'm concerned you're looking at more like a 'long half-day,' due to all the travel time and logistics.
It's really really really big, and even with multiple days, you'll miss a lot.
Two of these 'long half-days' seem much better. If you can do it without having to take the time to travel all the way home and back, that's ideal. But, that requires a close-by place to stay, which is not easy at all.
Could you fly into Oshkosh itself for the day?
Yeah, but why? I'm 2 air-hours away...seems flying into a satellite airport might give me more time, or at least the same time with less stress...maybe I'll "miss a lot", but its either that or don't go, and miss it all.

Probably would work if you have one thing you want to see, e.g., the air show, check out a particular vendor, visit the warbirds, etc.

Yeah, but why? I'm 2 air-hours away...seems flying into a satellite airport might give me more time, or at least the same time with less stress...maybe I'll "miss a lot", but its either that or don't go, and miss it all.
The time from a satellite airport (Appleton, Fond Du Lac) via a shuttle is about an hour one way and they're not free. Oshkosh is way bigger than it was 20 years ago.

The time from a satellite airport (Appleton, Fond Du Lac) via a shuttle is about an hour one way and they're not free. Oshkosh is way bigger than it was 20 years ago.
Hmmm, sounds like it is...is there "just for the day" parking? My plane is somewhat new, so I think that limits my choices, doesn't it? How hard is it to get back out in the evening?

Sheesh. Bunch of party poopers around here.

Go for it. There used to be GAP (General Aviation Parking). Not sure if that's a thing anymore or not - check the NOTAM. If not, just go to GAC (General Aviation Camping) and leave a the end of the day if you're not able to camp overnight. You can plan to arrive as soon as the field opens and leave after the afternoon airshow. As mentioned - you won't be able to so EVERYthing, but you'll at least be able to see SOMEthing.

There's only a night air show on Wednesday, right?

I say go for it. You get to fly. You get to see cool planes. You get to be part of the energy.

Unless you're in the market for something it's a HUGE area of stuff you don't care about. I'll never afford a Cirrus or new Piper/Cessna/whatchamcallit.

Fly, shuttle see the air show. Check out a seminar if you want. Buy a t shirt and head home.

I say do it.

I have thought about going for years, but never made it.
Is the airport open to incoming and departing traffic at a certain time daily?

I have thought about going for years, but never made it.
Is the airport open to incoming and departing traffic at a certain time daily?
From page 1 of the NOTAM:

Beginning Thursday, July 21, 2022, OSH is closed to all arriving aircraft from 8:00 PM until 7:00 AM CDT daily. Also, some or all categories of aircraft may not be accepted due to parking saturation, ground conditions, TFRs, scheduled airshows, or other activities.

The Airshow Demonstration Area and Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) are within a 5 NM radius of Wittman Regional Airport from the surface to 16,000’ MSL. TFR information will be posted at tfr.faa.gov.

OSH Airshow Demonstration Area/TFRs
2022 Oshkosh Airshow/TFR Times (CDT)

• Monday, July 25, thru Saturday, July 30: 2:30- 6:30PM
  • NIGHT SHOW Wednesday, July 27: 8:00-10:00 PM
  • NIGHT SHOW Saturday, July 30: 8:00-10:00PM
  • Sunday, July 31: 1:00- 4:30 PM
Wittman Regional Airport will be closed via Class D NOTAMs and all aircraft must remain clear of the Airshow Demonstration Area and the TFRs when they are active.

Check the Arrival ATIS (125.9) to determine when the airport is reopened. OSH arrivals are normally resumed 30 minutes after each afternoon airshow.

So to summarize:
  • You can arrive from 7 am to 2:30 pm on most days, except the last Sunday from 7 am to 1 pm
  • You can depart about half an hour after the airshow, about 7 pm to 8 pm.
  • You can arrive anytime from 7 am to 8 pm on the Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday before AirVenture. (Not so useful for someone coming for the AirVenture itself)

The one time I flew in it was for a single day. Spent the night in Madison & left early enough to time my arrival at OSH when the field opened. Parked in GA parking & spent the day nosing around. I skipped the airshow because that would have taken up a big chunk of the day. Got back to my plane in time to leave once the field reopened after the show & went back to Madison. Worked out well for what I wanted to do.

I think that two days would be plenty for me, just sleep in the back of the plane one night.

Funny, I didn’t feel that way any of the 5 times I’ve done it.
You do you, I'll do me. Long flight, and you have to do the conga line to get in most days. Seems like a lot of bother for one day. I suppose if you're in the area it would make a bit more sense. Just how I see it.

You do you, I'll do me. Long flight, and you have to do the conga line to get in most days. Seems like a lot of bother for one day. I suppose if you're in the area it would make a bit more sense. Just how I see it.

That was my point. I wasn’t putting you down, just saying to me it is worth it.

I think one day is doable, and say the Tuesday of the show, the arrival should be tame. I would easily choose that over a satellite airport Do consider how a day in the sun walking for hours will take a toll and leave enough energy in the bank for your trip to get back safely.

Hell, there are years I flew EVERY DAY, into and out of there. It’s no big deal.

I think much easier than a satellite airport.

I would be prepared to just sleep in the plane, you may like it more than you think... and there’s the possibility of wx rolling through or something... very early departures are usually very easy. And evenings are fun.

Bring GOOD shoes. Sleeping in a folding chair is even easy after MILES of walking!

@Tools - is that a C140? Did you sleep in that plane?

Whether this or another, do you sleep sitting up? Strikes me as sooooooo warm and stagnant.

I know people do it. I wonder what they do about airflow.

Hehe, nope a 120. And no, I got lots of friends much better than I deserve in Oshkosh who give me nice places to sleep.

BUT…

Leave the doors open, rig up a head rest. Wouldn’t be awful. Slept the other night here in the southeast in my 97 dodge one ton truck. Was comfy!

I usually fly into Green Bay and take the bus to the show for two days. Appleton got to expensive for everything during the show.

So what happens if they run out of aircraft parking/camping while en-route?

So what happens if they run out of aircraft parking/camping while en-route?

They'll have it on the ATIS as you're approaching telling you to divert somewhere else.

They'll have it on the ATIS as you're approaching telling you to divert somewhere else.

lol, “sorry about your 8 hour flight. Better luck next year buddy”

Its been 20 years since I've last been to Air venture, and when I went last, I drove, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but is it worth doing just a single day at Oshkosh? I live just a few flight hours away, and I was thinking of flying in early to a satellite airport, taking a shuttle to and from, then flying home late. I might actually consider two separate days like this, if it's feasible. Anyone ever do it this way? What would be the best satellite airport? What times should I plan to arrive and leave?

I don't think a day is long enough to be interesting. The headache to pleasure ratio is all messed up.

If you decide to do it anyway, I definitely recommend flying into Oshkosh instead of a satellite. Between waiting for the satellite busses and the bus rides themselves, you'll easily lose 3 hours round trip on an already very tight schedule.

Depends why you’re going. When I was looking for product info, parts and such, I went for one day.

When I was meeting other builders, going to type specific cookouts or similar activities, I typically went for two days.

lol, “sorry about your 8 hour flight. Better luck next year buddy”

Back when I first started flying in up there (around 2000), the field would generally be open at the beginning of the day and then would be 'closed to camping arrivals' around lunch-ish. Then it would usually reopen after the airshow because of the people making immediate departures opening up spots. Back then, all we had was the EAA website updates and the ATIS for information.

Basic idea was, if you got there and the field was closed, you would land at one of the outlier airports and find a handheld that could pick up ATIS or find a computer in the FBO to wait for an update. Then it was a mad dash from the outlier airports to get in before they closed the field again. At least that is what I was told from others that got stuck in that scenario. Luckily, we always timed our arrival to be there as close to when the field opened as possible, so we never got turned away.

Luckily, we always timed our arrival to be there as close to when the field opened as possible, so we never got turned away.
A couple years ago, probably the heavy rainfall year, camping and parking were both closed for days. EAA made a commitment to add more parking and camping to hopefully never turn away anyone again. Last year was the busiest year in a long time and I don't recall any closures.

A couple years ago, probably the heavy rainfall year, camping and parking were both closed for days. EAA made a commitment to add more parking and camping to hopefully never turn away anyone again. Last year was the busiest year in a long time and I don't recall any closures.

Yeah, I know that in the early 2000's, closing the field due to capacity was a normal occurrence. Last time I flew in in 2009, they had drastically expanded HBC and maybe added/extended the South 40?

Would be interesting to know how the parking capacity has grown over the years.

Would be interesting to know how the parking capacity has grown over the years.

I'm certain it has. Parking extends a long way down and from either runway. I didn't hear the field close to arrivals at all last year, and there were a LOT of airplanes.

Back