Fire after gear collapse at MIA

1990 MD-82, was with two other airlines previously.
Edit: the linked news reports states the the plane hit "a crane tower". You know, those things they put right next to runways.

Last edited:
Pretty amazing that in a little over 90 seconds CFR was on the scene. Those guys are true heroes and professionals.

FAR Part 139 requires CFR to be able to respond and begin agent application at the midpoint of the farthest runway in 3 minutes from time of notification. That is why all commercial airports have their own CFR.

90 seconds isn't bad depending on the distance from their station. I haven't heard yet if there was any advance notification on this accident or it just happened. Obviously advance notice allows CFR to pre-stage shortening the response time.

For what it's worth, tests have shown a typical aluminum fuselage when exposed to direct flame from a fuel based fire will burn through in 90 seconds. In an aircraft crash, seconds count.

Saw the plane in question under tow at MIA to maintenance hangar in mid May. Was still there when I came back through. Interesting.

Attachments

• 7C78717D-2DC2-414D-AA36-49873D678AB2.jpeg
    7C78717D-2DC2-414D-AA36-49873D678AB2.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 49
Check this one out! Passenger leaving plane on fire with roll-aboard and drink.

Last edited:
And the other tool on film already off with his f'ing roll-aboard. Glad you have your clothes when the guy/gal 30 rows behind you has 3rd degree burns. What a D..ck

also, he said 'mierda' :devil:

This is just another example of social media fools.

The FAA should find him and fine him for disobeying emergency disembarking rules and for placing in peril those behind him.

This is just another example of social media fools.

The FAA should find him and fine him for disobeying emergency disembarking rules and for placing in peril those behind him.
Did he leave before passengers were off? Did not see that.

Regardless, I’m thinking that is not a requirement, as much as company policy… and generally what a Capt should do.

Wasn't just one person that decided to take their carry on for a ride down a slide. Idiots

People like this p()ss me off! They have no regard for others. An evacuation slide is basically an inflated tube structure, and if the tube is punctured, it loses its usefulness. As I recall, these slides are of single cell design and one puncture will lead to the deflation of that part of the slide, rendering is useless/dangerous. High heels, roll arounds, attache cases etc. all can have sharp corners. What could possibly happen ... ?

In my opinion (caution - opinion alert here), people who violate basic common sense rules for aircraft emergency evacuation should be criminally prosecuted ... or at least drawn and quartered. Humanely, of course.

Cue video depicting passenger reaching up for luggage while smoke billows down aisle:
Video stops, narrator comes on,

"STOP. YOU just KILLED someone........Always LEAVE your personal belongings, in an evacuation!"

Normalcy bias. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

But completely unacceptable in the event of an emergency. Wonder about the reaction of the FAs in this incident. I'm not an expert, but I believe they are supposed to issue very clear, direct (loud and to the point) orders to passengers in situations like this to snap people out of their normalcy bias and get them to respond properly to the situation.

But totally unacceptable. The people who took the time to video the evacuation while grabbing personal belongings. Unacceptable.

Normalcy bias. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

But completely unacceptable in the event of an emergency. Wonder about the reaction of the FAs in this incident. I'm not an expert, but I believe they are supposed to issue very clear, direct (loud and to the point) orders to passengers in situations like this to snap people out of their normalcy bias and get them to respond properly to the situation.

But totally unacceptable. The people who took the time to video the evacuation while grabbing personal belongings. Unacceptable.

Check this video!!! Seems as if everybody was leaving the plane with their belongings, and I'm not talking wallets or passports. There's even a woman headed back to the plane with two suitcases, probably to pick up her third one!

The FAA should sanction the airline for allowing this as well as issue strict warnings and fines to passengers that were involved in this kind of behavior.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/plane-crash-miami-video-passengers-b2106440.html

Yeah, it's pretty obscene. I just wonder how the flight crew reacted... where were the crew in all this? Were they trying to organise and direct a proper evacuation? Or did they grab their personal effects and head down the slides first?

Yeah, it's pretty obscene. I just wonder how the flight crew reacted... where were the crew in all this? Were they trying to organise and direct a proper evacuation? Or did they grab their personal effects and head down the slides first?
You can see as the water bottle guy heads out, two flight attendants to his right guiding people to the slide.

Not completely. There are handles on the sides at the bottom of the slide and they are designed to work deflated with two people holding them to create a slide.

Great information! I didn't know that, but it does make a lot of sense to have that capability.

And the other tool on film already off with his f'ing roll-aboard. Glad you have your clothes when the guy/gal 30 rows behind you has 3rd degree burns. What a D..ck

I have already decided that if I were ever in a burning airliner like this crash and idiots try to get their luggage out of the bin, take selfies or video inside the plane rather than just get out, that I will knock them on their asses and get the F out, they can burn for being stupid and not getting out, if they don't care about their life, f'm as I do care about mine, it is bad enough watching the fools deplane at the gate. I can not imagine a crash scenario,

It is why I now hate flying the airlines, like may late uncle said, a longtime major airline pilot, "it used to be we had people dress nice to fly, now we have people that stink to high heaven and look like garbage, no brains they check them at the door"

it is bad enough watching the fools deplane at the gate

Maybe this is a recent thing, because I have not seen it prior to about five years ago - On numerous occasions, when I get up out of my aisle seat to get my stuff from the overhead.... always waiting my turn to let the people in front of me get their stuff out.... someone will try to barge past me... going lord knows where since there is a stack of people in the aisle trying to file out..... I almost got into it with a woman once who tried to squeeze/shove past me as I stood in the aisle waiting. I turned around and asked her if she was in a hurry to catch a connecting flight or something. She just sneered and said "excuuuuuse me!" and tried to shove past again. Nope. I just turned my back on her and waited for the folks ahead to get their stuff. Wasn't the only time I have witnessed this recently.

People. Pfft.

I've twice been on flights where, while taxiing to the gate, the FA announces that because the flight is arriving late, a number of people now have very little time in order to make their next connection. This was followed by a request that everyone who does not have the tight connection remain seated until those who do have gotten off the plane.

Invariably (or 'twice' for the astute reader) this is followed by every single person in the first 30 rows jumping to their feet simultaneously a moment before the plane rolls to a complete stop at the jetway.

Ya, I have been on flights where we have been late or waiting for a gate or for whatever reason there were people who might miss their connecting flights if they weren't first off. I always stay in my seat in those circumstances. And honestly, if that woman who tried to push her way past was at least remotely polite about it I would have let her go by. She just wanted to get off before everyone else because... well who cares she was pushing and shoving. I swear people are different these days. Sort of off topic, but maybe not - entitled people who think they deserve more than everyone else for some reason. "I need to get off first because... well I'm better." "This is an emergency situation, but I deserve to get my crap out of the overheads and delay everyone behind me who might actually die in a fire because... well I deserve to have my crap and screw everyone else."

This is actually ****ing me off just typing it.

I saw a guy that was in a hurry once.

As soon as the mains touched down this guy got up and started walking towards the front. As soon as the nose touched down, the reversers came on, and the guy flew forward and landed hard against the bulkhead dividing first class from the cattle....:rofl::rofl:

From ATC tapes that are coming out now, it sounds like there was no advance warning of this incident. The aircraft had a gear collapse on landing which led to it departing from the runway. Unknown so far if it was a botched landing or mechanical failure.

I wonder if the FAA ever looked into overheads that lock (with one flip of a switch), and are not unlocked til the flight is at the gate.

I have already decided that if I were ever in a burning airliner like this crash and idiots try to get their luggage out of the bin, take selfies or video inside the plane rather than just get out, that I will knock them on their asses and get the F out, they can burn for being stupid and not getting out, if they don't care about their life, f'm as I do care about mine, it is bad enough watching the fools deplane at the gate. I can not imagine a crash scenario,

It is why I now hate flying the airlines, like may late uncle said, a longtime major airline pilot, "it used to be we had people dress nice to fly, now we have people that stink to high heaven and look like garbage, no brains they check them at the door"

Was going to post the same. Endanger everyone in an evacuation by grabbing your luggage or something as stupid as filming for clicks, I’m going to allow them to test their dental and phone insurance plans.

Social media has nothing to do with this happening. It’s always been a thing with people collecting their bags after the crash.

The bags part, certainly. The compulsion to film everything in the hopes of getting internet “fame” is most certainly a social media byproduct.

Back