Disclosing prior medications for class 3 medical exam?

toesockshoe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
toesockshoe
I've just began my flight school training (4 hours down), and I looked into the medical examination process and saw that Adderall usage will result in automatic disqualification.

I've taken Adderall in the past (over 6 months ago in small dosage... only 10mg once a day for a year). I wasn't diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, but got it because I told my physician I wanted some help focusing at work. Anyway, I ended up moving states and didn't get a new prescription so I stopped taking it -- do I have to disclose this when I go in for my medical exam?

I hear the process of getting a re-eval can be costly and not even guaranteed to result in a pass after the . Right now I'm trying to make a decision between the following:

Option 1) Go to get a medical license without disclosing my prior prescription history (not even sure if this is possible if doctor can look up my prescription history from a different state)

Option 2) Go for sports license. I'm getting my license for recreational purposes anyway, so this isn't the worst option but I'm a bit bummed out that I can't fly at night and carry more than 1 passenger.

Option 3) Tell my medical examiner about my prior prescriptions and hope that I can pass my eval in the future.

Additionally, if I decide to go for Option 2, should I tell my flight instructor WHY I'm switching courses? I heard that failing a medical exam means you can't get a sports license either -- I don't want to be giving up more info than I have to esp if my CFI doesn't need to know about my adderall usage.

Do NOT lie and omit the fact that you took that medication. That is a very bad option.

If you don't want to worry about it, just go for the Sport Pilot. You do not have to tell your instructors why you're switching to sport pilot, and there are a lot of reasons someone would switch, not just medical ones.

There is no question on the medxpress form about medications you are not currently taking, and I've never had an AME look up a prescription history.

The questions about conditions you've had or been diagnosed with are about your whole life. And it's all to the best of your knowledge. Someone will be along soon to tell you they know what your Dr. wrote in your file when he prescribed Adderall. They don't. And the symptoms and diagnosis of ADHD are a lot more complicated than needing help focusing.

Choose wisely.

Your CFI doesn't need to know anything about your medical history or anything else that may impact your medical. Think about it - do you tell your auto mechanic about your medical issues? The CFI is an instructor, and is really more interested in the check clearing than anything else.

Your best plan is to find an AME and make a CONSULTATION, not an appointment. Discuss with the AME. The question on the medical form is "Have you ever...." If you do not disclose, then you are lying by omission on a Federal form. That's why you want a CONSULT.

If the AME will not do a consult, find another AME.

On my soapbox....
There are times I don't understand why people willing want any type of medication "just because". Need more focus at work? Get more sleep, eat better, get some exercise.
End of soapbox.

In a similar situation I chose option 2. You can always choose to go through the class 3 gauntlet later but if it doesn’t work out, sport pilot is off the table and you are grounded.

You don't have to report any medications you were taking but no longer take. However, you do have to report the diagnosis (the doctor had to put down something for a diagnosis) if it's covered by any of the "have you ever" questions.

You also have to report all doctor visits within the last 3 years, including the reason for the visit.

I chose option 3. Like you I was never diagnosed ADD. I made a joke about it to my GP about 10 ago and he asked if I wanted to try Adderall. I guess the drug rep working him was cute or something.

Got deferred now waiting for official FAA notification so I can start the process of the psych evaluation and test.

Didn’t want to mislead and get busted by an OKC bureaucrat. Playing the long game.

if you are not taking a medication, you do not need to report it. if you were not diagnosed with an illness req. an adderall Rx, you need not report it.
If his doctor visit to get the Adderall prescription was within the past three years, he has to report that in Section 10.9 along with the reason, which I assume would be "wanted some help focusing at work" as he stated above. If he enters that as the reason, won't that trigger an inquiry, from either the AME or the FAA, into what condition was diagnosed and what treatment prescribed?

I chose option 3. Like you I was never diagnosed ADD. I made a joke about it to my GP about 10 ago and he asked if I wanted to try Adderall. I guess the drug rep working him was cute or something.

Got deferred now waiting for official FAA notification so I can start the process of the psych evaluation and test.

Didn’t want to mislead and get busted by an OKC bureaucrat. Playing the long game.
Out of curiosity, in response to which question did you disclose the adderall prescription from 10 years ago?

The problem, is that your insurance Rx codes are not protected
And
You definitely had the insurance diagnosis if insurance paid for a month of pills (unless insurance wasn’t involved)
And lying to the fed. Government is a Class 4 felony….

sigh

Last edited:
If the question is in the last 3 years, and its almost 3 years, delay it a bit.
Three years only applies to the listing of doctor (and other medical) visits.

Prescriptions are "currently taking."

The section 18 medical history questions are forever (except for one).

Three years only applies to the listing of doctor (and other medical) visits.

Prescriptions are "currently taking."

The section 18 medical history questions are forever (except for one).
which becomes a problem with 18(m). Choose carefully.

The rub lies in what a person's expected knowledge of "18m" encompasses. If a lay person goes to the doc and says "I'm having some trouble concentrating" and the doc gives a pill, the lay person would not know what the insurance code associated with pill might imply a mental health disorder. Could not checking 18m in this circumstance cause a problem with the FAA? Certainly. Would it lead to falsification of a federal document charges? That would be a pretty big stretch to prove intent.

Now, if the date of your medical is one day past 3 years since the date of the doc visit that issued the script, well....

I am going to speak into this because I have experience with it and am in the middle of the ramifications. I like you went to my doctor because I was having trouble "concentrating" at work. I was in my early 30's and had made it through school just fine but was working at a job I hated. When I went for my 3rd class in 2013 I was honest and chose option #1 which got me an automatic deferral and subsequent denial which I appealed (I guess you could call it that) and they sent me another letter explaining what I needed to do. Well at that point I decided I wasn't going to pay over $2k for the psychological testing and couldn't go backwards to sport so I walked away. Fast forward to late 2021 and I decided I wanted to give it another go so after a consult with a HIMS AME i was told i would be good to go to just reapply and reopen my previous file. So I made the appointment and then made an appointment with the Neuropsychologist and took the 6 hours worth of testing and drug screen at a cost of $2200 out of pocket. My LRPV on the CogScreen was in the 82nd percentile which I think is good or at least good enough. The FAA known Neuropsychologist I went to also had me a do a bunch of paper tests as well and some were very similar to the CogScreen. I guess that was the initial battery but that was also listed on my paperwork from 2013 but I did those before I even did the computerized CogScreen. In the morning it was the interview with the psychologist, the paper tests etc..then lunch and then the Cogscreen followed by a drug screen. (i'm guessing that may have changed to only the CogScreen and if you do fine on it you don't have to do the rest) The psychologist reported no aeromedically significant findings and no need for further evaluation and even included in his written report that ADHD was ruled out (which I also read as good) and my file is currently in OKC or somewhere waiting for the FAA to review it. As a side note I have 3 more nights of CPAP usage to get my 30 days of data and once I send that off I will have completed everything they required of me and it's just a waiting game and I'm very cautiously optimistic. The moral of the story for me is don't risk it. I think if you just didn't bother telling them and later it came to light you'll be in worse shape than you would've been to begin with.

in 35 years, have I ever taken it upon my own judgement what is the correct path to take concerning certification - yes.

Out of curiosity, in response to which question did you disclose the adderall prescription from 10 years ago?

I didn’t. Like some of you guys I interpreted the form as asking me what meds I was TAKING and what conditions I had been diagnosed with. IMO I was NEVER diagnosed with ADD. But that’s neither here nor there at this point. I took the meds for a decade. So it is what it is. Silver lining is it will put a temporary kibosh on my buying a plane, which I can finally afford, hopefully giving the market a chance to cool off.

At the end of my flight physical, which I passed w flying colors, I told the ME I needed to disclose something, told him the story, and he added a note at the bottom of my form with the details. He led me to believe there was a small chance I may not have to do the whole cog screen thing but not to get my hopes up. Also told me if I haven’t heard from the FAA in 4-6 weeks to call him back and he’ll do what he can to get things moving. BTW, when I told him my story he looked like I did the night I realized what I had gotten myself into. Gutted.

While I accept the fact my decision to say “yes” to my family doc 10+ years ago has led to this decent into bureaucratic purgatory, I wonder how many aspiring pilots are driven from the field due to the pill prescription factories our “modern” medical system has become. I mean really, I make a joke about ADD and bingo I get a scrip to a controlled substance? I guarantee you that if I had to get a psych referral to get that scrip I never would have gone, and I’d have been back in the cockpit (w/o instructor) months ago.

I will pass the time between now and then working on my updating my IFR proficiency and currency…and even thinking about rolling the dice and buying something so I can train in it with my CFII while I wait for the bureaucracy to run its course.

And now I don’t have to worry about ever having an incident that would cause the FAA to dig into my background….and discovering I had hid something from them and get the book thrown at me.

I didn’t. Like some of you guys I interpreted the form as asking me what meds I was TAKING and what conditions I had been diagnosed with. IMO I was NEVER diagnosed with ADD. But that’s neither here nor there at this point. I took the meds for a decade. So it is what it is. Silver lining is it will put a temporary kibosh on my buying a plane, which I can finally afford, hopefully giving the market a chance to cool off.

At the end of my flight physical, which I passed w flying colors, I told the ME I needed to disclose something, told him the story, and he added a note at the bottom of my form with the details. He led me to believe there was a small chance I may not have to do the whole cog screen thing but not to get my hopes up. Also told me if I haven’t heard from the FAA in 4-6 weeks to call him back and he’ll do what he can to get things moving. BTW, when I told him my story he looked like I did the night I realized what I had gotten myself into. Gutted.

While I accept the fact my decision to say “yes” to my family doc 10+ years ago has led to this decent into bureaucratic purgatory, I wonder how many aspiring pilots are driven from the field due to the pill prescription factories our “modern” medical system has become. I mean really, I make a joke about ADD and bingo I get a scrip to a controlled substance? I guarantee you that if I had to get a psych referral to get that scrip I never would have gone, and I’d have been back in the cockpit (w/o instructor) months ago.

I will pass the time between now and then working on my updating my IFR proficiency and currency…and even thinking about rolling the dice and buying something so I can train in it with my CFII while I wait for the bureaucracy to run its course.

And now I don’t have to worry about ever having an incident that would cause the FAA to dig into my background….and discovering I had hid something from them and get the book thrown at me.
So you were still taking the meds when you went for the medical? That's different from the OP.

No I had been off Adderall for 6 months when I went in.

So when I filled out the form and it asked me what I was taking I said nothing. And when it asked me what I had been diagnosed with I also said nothing. As I was never diagnosed to the best of my knowledge.

So when I filled out the form and it asked me what I was taking I said nothing. And when it asked me what I had been diagnosed with I also said nothing. As I was never diagnosed to the best of my knowledge.

Have you looked at your chart at your doctor's office? I know that I wasn't ever "diagnosed" per say by the doctor that prescribed it to me but my chart has Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The Neuropsychologist I saw to do my CogScreen listed on his report that ADHD is ruled out but I think my chart at the doctor will always say Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity DIsorder and this is a result of being prescribed adderall, it is what it is unfortunately but fortunately there is a way out of it. It took me 2 months to get an appointment scheduled, then another few weeks waiting for the results and I checked with the FAA and they have the results along with the drug screen so it's just a waiting game.

If you start with sport pilot, can you still fly while all the medical stuff works through the system if you want to go for the class 3?

If you start with sport pilot, can you still fly while all the medical stuff works through the system if you want to go for the class 3?

I'm no expert but I'd think that would fall under a known disqualifying medical condition so I wouldn't think so.

If your deferral letter says "we are unable to determine if you qualify" then you've not been denied yet. Sport pilot is still an option.
Once they send you "you do not meet the requirements" letter, you're screwed.

If your deferral letter says "we are unable to determine if you qualify" then you've not been denied yet. Sport pilot is still an option.
Once they send you "you do not meet the requirements" letter, you're screwed.
61.303(b)(2) says that the person must "Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate)." I don't see how "we are unable to determine if you qualify" meets that requirement.

So you disclosed information you were not required to disclose, and it cost you a lot of time and money.

Read the questions carefully. Read the instructions. Answer only what is asked, to three best of your knowledge.

I think the airman made his decision before posting the question. He chose the the wrong course. I suspect he will prevail after more time and much $.

Lindberg- I went back and forth on that for a month or two. Finally decided that I’d rather disclose and deal with it than spend the rest of my flying life looking over my shoulder. I mean, I was on it for 10+ years so the scrip is all over everything. And the last thing I want to have to think about when dealing with an engine out and trying to decide if I can make it back to the airport or land in a field that’s a sure thing, is “if I make the runway there’s no investigation…”

trying to decide if I can make it back to the airport or land in a field that’s a sure thing, is “if I make the runway there’s no investigation…”

If you land-out in a field, so long as there is no serious injury or fatality, there isn't going to be much of an investigation either.

Lindberg- I went back and forth on that for a month or two. Finally decided that I’d rather disclose and deal with it than spend the rest of my flying life looking over my shoulder. I mean, I was on it for 10+ years so the scrip is all over everything. And the last thing I want to have to think about when dealing with an engine out and trying to decide if I can make it back to the airport or land in a field that’s a sure thing, is “if I make the runway there’s no investigation…”
Certainly a choice you're entitled to make. My only hope is for people to inform themselves of what's actually required. There is so much harmful advice given, and bad decisions made, based on a misunderstanding of that fundamental principle.

TBH it's not going to have that much of a substantial difference long term by admitting to it and dealing with it. Mine cost $2200 including the drug screen. Did it suck having to fork over $2200 bucks when it could've went towards building hours? Of course it did. Will it be worth knowing it's taken care of long term? You bet. Essentially it's about $2200 bucks (give or take al little) and 4-6 months (heck maybe less) of your time. If you are like me then you'll do just fine on the neuropsychological. Heck you might get lucky and they will only ask you for a personal statement but it's pretty likely you'll have to submit to the testing. The whole "we are unable to determine if you qualify" doesn't mean jack to me. I was initially denied in 2013 and just decided late last year to re-apply. I did a new physical in March to reopen the old file and i am no longer on any medication and they sent me the "we are unable to determine if you qualify" letter asking me for a personal statement and clinical progress notes from my treating physician even though I know I still have to provide them with what they asked for in 2013. The bottom line is I think you did the right thing even if it does suck and delays things a bit.

So let’s say I kept my mouth shut and misled.

The ME signs me off and the paperwork goes to OKC.

anyone in OKC check/validate the application vs readily available prescription/insurance records?

So let’s say I kept my mouth shut and misled.

The ME signs me off and the paperwork goes to OKC.

anyone in OKC check/validate the application vs readily available prescription/insurance records?

I don’t think they ever do the research. I know a few pilots that have failed to disclose things and have never got caught. These are pilots that have are 121 ops for many years.

For what it’s worth, I have a very similar situation, and went for option 2 - with a full heart and zero regret. Here were some key things for me, if you find them helpful.

1. Flying is all about fun for me. I could have omitted things from my medical. I have no doubt I would have gotten away with it…with everyone but myself. There would have been a dark cloud for me every time I was up there. At that point - what is the point?
2. The reality is, most GA flying IS sport pilot flying. Talk to any GA pilot. 98% of their log book is solo, vfr, day - doing everything they can to reduce gph burn. In reality - the biggest limitation is the aircraft- and by all indications - mosaic will likely change that within the year (potential announcement in a few weeks).
3. If I ever did have an incident, it would all come out. Even though it was a bs issue of being overprescribed by a pill pusher - it would come out. I came from nothing and have built a damn nice life for my family. There’s no sense in turning an annoying, but relatively small issue into a potentially very big legal and financial problem.
4. I went through the full gambit of emotions on this (mostly anger). Anger with the Dr, anger with myself for allowing the script to be written, anger with the FAA and the inconsistency of sport/class 3/basic med. In the end, none of the anger was helpful - and - I don’t get to ignore a regulation because I don’t like it. I DO get to try to use my resources and influence to try to effect change.
5. Lastly, and this was big for me. When honest with myself, I was reluctant to go sport pilot b/c I feared other pilots would see me as “less than”. That is BS that existed purely between my own ears. A combination of always needing to be/achieve/attain the best and immature frustrations about what the “FAA and Dr’s had cost me.” In my experience - no one cares about your ratings - they care that you are safe. A commercial pilot can be unsafe and a student pilot can be the safest one in the sky. It not the rating, it’s the pilot - and I strive to be the very best I can be up there; staring with my decisions on the ground - like if I should omit something from a medical.

In the end, I hope you reach the decision that is best for you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back