Basic Med & starting IFR

L J Donelson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
L J Donelson
At 58 got PPL with Class III, about a year later and thinking of starting IFR, BUT medical is coming up end of August. Question, can I go basic med now or should I keep Class III to complete IFR?

Basic Med is fine for Instrument rating and flying.

The restrictions are:

Not over 6000 pounds
Not over 6 seats (as certificated, no removing the 7th and flying)
Not over 18,000 feet
Not over 250 knots INDICATED air speed.
Can't carry passengers for hire (same as your Class III)
Not accepted outside US, except for Bahamas

Basic Med ...

Not over 6 seats (as certificated, no removing the 7th and flying)

Incorrect. For the Cherokee 6 models which have a 7th seat by design, the seat can be removed via a STC to convert to a 6 seat airplane.

Additionally a 7th seat added via a 337 can be removed via a 337 to convert the airplane back to a 6 seat airplane.

Both end up with an airplane which can be flown under BasicMed

Source: FAQ-Rev 5 (faa.gov)

Thanks for the clarity.

I should have added that I'd like to get CFI/I which means commercial along the way (no intent to take passengers for hire, just instruct). Is basicmed still viable for that route?

Incorrect. For the Cherokee 6 models which have a 7th seat by design, the seat can be removed via a STC to convert to a 6 seat airplane.

Additionally a 7th seat added via a 337 can be removed via a 337 to convert the airplane back to a 6 seat airplane.

That would make it “as certificated” (which would be distinct from “as originally certificated.”)

I truncated, yes, you have to have an STC or 337 to remove the seat to make it 6 place. You can't just take it out and say this is now a 6 seat plane.

I fly with CAP. We have a Gipps GA-8 in the wing. The seats just pop out. I can't pull two seats and fly it on my Basic Med.

I truncated, yes, you have to have an STC or 337 to remove the seat to make it 6 place. You can't just take it out and say this is now a 6 seat plane.

I fly with CAP. We have a Gipps GA-8 in the wing. The seats just pop out. I can't pull two seats and fly it on my Basic Med.
Frankly, after spending time in the back of a CAP GA8, I’d happily pull out the seats and sit on the floor. It would be more comfortable. Did you know…. a number of years ago Gipsland offered CAP more comfy seats for free and CAP said no…well, that’s the rumor.

So a C-340A can be flown under basic med but restricted to not go over 18,000.??
There's no reason it has to be restricted, just don't go there. The only things that the certification limits is the number of seats (6 or less) or gross weight (6000 or less).

Frankly, after spending time in the back of a CAP GA8, I’d happily pull out the seats and sit on the floor. It would be more comfortable. Did you know…. a number of years ago Gipsland offered CAP more comfy seats for free and CAP said no…well, that’s the rumor.

I haven't even seen it yet. :D

There's no reason it has to be restricted, just don't go there. The only things that the certification limits is the number of seats (6 or less) or gross weight (6000 or less).

Thanks. But that takes the fun out of having pressurization...:frown:

Maybe a 206 and fly around the mountains...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back