Hangar door fix

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
BB4AD6AB-5389-4E56-B629-BC9FEF66FB83.jpeg D658DC33-A89D-4F08-B56F-3642724685EE.jpeg Up at the hangar tonight and was making a racket opening up. Noticed right side higher. Turn out wire wore a groove in the wire guide. Question is where do I find a replacement guide??? Not sure what it is even called.

Usually there’s a placard somewhere on the hanger door that details the manufacturer. You could get lucky and find that they are still in business. A local commercial door company might also be able to help also. Worth spending some time calling around. Otherwise you might have to fabricate one.

Last edited:
Hi,
I installed a 70 bi-fold door during the construction of my hangar last year, It was a job but I did learn a lot about the door following the instructions. Mine was manufactured by Hi-Fold and came with excellent instruction. You do need to find the manufacturer of the door and get a copy of the plans, even if it is 30 years old. Just looking at the pictures I do not think that you will have a cable guide, mine does not, the thingy that you are looking at is a box to prevent you getting your hand in the cable. Go to Hi-Fold web and see a video of the door in operation. DO NOT try and replace any cable unless you get it from the manufacturer, my cable has a lifetime warranty and is pre stretched at the factory. If one side is going up faster than the other I would check the header, Unless the door manufacturer and building folks work together chances are the header is not stout enough. If you post a load of pictures we may be able to figure out who made it. Don't let the local handyman mess it up.

Life is a barrel of fun.IMG_1866.JPG

That's an unusually big door. I'm convinced there's a lot of shade tree engineering that goes into many of these systems.

The hangar I rent has the same type guard. I don't think the cable is suppose to touch the cable. I'll look at it today or tomorrow and report back

Like said, post better pictures of the whole door and the data plate.

Back