Flying airplane with missing cowl flap

FYI: To add, using sealant as shown in #18 is common as a preventative measure to reduce wear. However, if the hinge is worn out under the RTV thats a different matter except that when it is worn out RTV won't last at that point. And given the RTV has clean lines and is intact my bet it was done as a preventative. We use similar methods on helicopters to keep things tight and reduce the smoke trails. Some measures are even approved and depending on how many times that area needs to be accessed RTV or proseal are the usual materials. So just because something appears out of place or is not in the book isn't always indicative of the over all maintenance condition of an aircraft. And I'm also not a fan of squirting oil and grease everywhere as it usually causes secondary issues as noted above.

Thanks for that information.

Unfortunately none of those are the correct part. I wasn’t saying they don’t exist or are rare, but both the mechanic and I called around and didn’t have a line on a used one. I’ve also read threads where people claim to have looked for a bit before finding the correct used part. This thread was more about the timing until one is found and being able to fly the plane.

Now that having been said, the problem worked out. I found the Horsham fixed cowl flap STC and mentioned it to the seller. He went ahead and ordered them and will have them installed. This is the path we’re going and living in Phoenix the claimed temp reductions would be a benefit, less maintenance, and less cost for the seller.

From the '69-'76 182 maintenance manual, structural repair chapter:

View attachment 108008

Just try forming that inner part from 2024-T3. Look at the ripples left by the drawing operation. Anyone who has formed aluminum knows that this was from-O material, then heat-treated. A Cessna is full of heat-treated stuff.

View attachment 108009
I have no doubt that Cessna is full of heat treated stuff but can you VERIFY that THIS low stress part was actually heat treated or are you just supposing? Given the double skin box design it looks like it is inherently sturdy.

I have no doubt that Cessna is full of heat treated stuff but can you VERIFY that THIS low stress part was actually heat treated or are you just supposing? Given the double skin box design it looks like it is inherently sturdy.
Tell me. Have you had any experience with forming aluminum to the degree in that picture? Do you know what alloy would tolerate that, and what temper? Do you know how soft it has to be to enable stretching it so much, and how weak it is in that state? I do. I've done it.

This is not a "low-stress part." It is subject to significant airflow pressures, from both sides, open and closed. It is subject to vibration, which is why they fall apart. The cowlings are made the same way, from -O material, and heat-treated.

What someone believes it is doesn't change the facts.

Back