Pre-Mishap? Skywest files for Part 135

I’d complain to the CTP course provider, and if I got no satisfaction there, start uphill.

of course, if my employer was the provider, I’d have to decide whether I really wanted that job.
I see.
So if you were working at a regional airline that flowed straight into your major employer of choice what would you do?

It’s a legitimate question because many are in exactly this situation. If it’s not their employer of choice it’s still a step along the way.

You really think you would be ok having to explain why you quit a job because you thought the CTP class was not run to your personal standard…. I don’t think so

I agree with you on everything except blaming the pilots.

On the lucky vs good regarding flight safety - if we don’t use incident rates as a metric, then what do you use?

Ultimately, the reason for standards is to meet a purpose, that purpose being safety. How do we measure safety? Incident rates are reactive metrics. Once you get down to the level we are, which is very few accidents on rare occasions, doing any kind of statistics kind of goes out the window. So then you should look at pro-active metrics. Like what? Trainings, total hours, etc.

Me not being in the airline industry or FAA, but just a hobby aviation enthusiast, it’s easy to correlate the newer ATP minimums to the increased safety of airline flights. That’s correlation and is valid. But it may also be (or not) causation. @DavidWhite and @Tarheelpilot you both have valid points, but unless one of you does aviation safety statistical work for a living, then we’re all just POAing (with respect to you both).

I see.
So if you were working at a regional airline that flowed straight into your major employer of choice what would you do?

It’s a legitimate question because many are in exactly this situation. If it’s not their employer of choice it’s still a step along the way.

You really think you would be ok having to explain why you quit a job because you thought the CTP class was not run to your personal standard…. I don’t think so

I agree with you on everything except blaming the pilots.
It’d be a lot easier to explain if the CTP course was not run to the FAA’s standard. I don’t see how flying under bridges and doing barrel rolls meets those standards.

Presumably, this is for their EAS routes. Just because they have the 135 approved, they'd still have to get awarded EAS contracts, which it seems like most places they proposed using this 135 option, the locals went a different direction with the contracts.

Guess I need to get cracking on my commercial and multi while my plane is in for maintenance.

Back