The End of N222TF

man some youtubers will do ANYTHING for subscribers!!!!!! I KID, I KID!!!!!!!!! :) :)

dang man, sorry about this, I was actually thinking recently that it'd been a while since you put out a flying/cooking video. amazing that you got the actual incident on film. this def sux and hope u get a replacement soon bruh.

now I'm thinking the next cooking video should be an upside down cake or over easy eggs or something like that. you know, cause the plane..........is upside down............no?................anyone................??.............hello???

That just sucks. Sorry for your loss.

Have you contacted Maule to see if they would undertake a re-build? Of course there are other factor$ at play here, but I wouldn't throw in the towel until all possibilities had been explored.

Sorry to hear about this. You got some good adventuring out of her.

Oh man that was hard to watch. So sorry. Hope you are back up flying soon.

Ya know, there are easier ways to clean out the interior....

Sorry to see this.

Hope you get back in the air soon.

Breaks my heart every time I see it :(. Hoping you get in the air soon.

Very sad, in many ways. Here's to your next adventure...

I wonder when the last time those nylon ropes were replaced?

If they are like the common tie downs that i see eveywhere the answer is never.

Gotta roll my eyes when people trust $50+k AC to $10 nylon rope.

was it severely underinsured or something? I don't see the problem replacing this spam (well, rag and tube I suppose) can. Market's cooling off so it's not as bad a delta as it may have been say last summer.

Okay, given both of your complete lack of empathy or sensitivity, I'll go ahead and say it on @rwellner98 's behalf.

Go have sexual relations with yourself.

Rather quickly escalatory words there internet tough guy.

..But don't mischaracterize my public comment by lumping it with that other guy. I made no such remark questioning the OP's due diligence in securing his airplane. You're further mischaracterizing my position by quoting my post out of context, by splicing out the rest of my post.

As to what you quoted: IDGAF if you find the term "spam can" pejorative. That's just tone policing on your part; itself an ad hominem. The term has been rather stipulated as common use around here for facbuilts; don't feign ignorance of that usage just to concoct an excuse to insult me.

MY
post's point was that every post above mine kept talking about moving on, like this thing kicked him out the hobby. There was a further insinuation that the market has inflated beyond the OPs ability to replace it by insurance. I simply disagreed. It is my opinion that, if previously insured, this is not a game ender in this market compared to the previous 18mo, where the delta could have been legitimately dramatic. That's what my post said.

So again, wtfo with the load fire aim?

Last edited:
I wonder when the last time those nylon ropes were replaced?

If they are like the common tie downs that i see eveywhere the answer is never.

Gotta roll my eyes when people trust $50+k AC to $10 nylon rope.

Yeah local flight school here uses some pretty ratty ropes. A 152 flipped and was totalled in 45 knots gusts. Likely didn’t helped they don’t tie the tail down. They decided not to replace it since with typical weights now only the female instructors or a few of the smaller guys can make it work with reasonably sized students.

I had always wondered how well those ropes would hold.

Glad we are in a hangar.

MY post's point was that every post above mine kept talking about moving on, like this thing kicked him out the hobby. There was a further insinuation that the market has inflated beyond the OPs ability to replace it by insurance. I simply disagreed. It is my opinion that, if previously insured, this is not a game ender in this market compared to the previous 18mo, where the delta could have been legitimately dramatic. That's what my post said.

I bought it for 103. Insured it for 120. If you can find me a 2002-ish m7-235 with a comparable IFR panel for 120k I'll pay you a thousand bucks finders fee. The two even remotely comparable ones I've seen so far were priced at 180 and 220.

I bought it for 103. Insured it for 120. If you can find me a 2002-ish m7-235 with a comparable IFR panel for 120k I'll pay you a thousand bucks finders fee. The two even remotely comparable ones I've seen so far were priced at 180 and 220.
Sorry you're going through this. I bought my 182 in December and the insurance company didn't want to insure it for what I figured it would take to replace it. I finally convinced them, but since then prices have gone up enough I couldn't replace it for the insured value.

Sorry you're going through this. I bought my 182 in December and the insurance company didn't want to insure it for what I figured it would take to replace it.

Yeah, I've heard that story a few times. One side of my brain says that I got my money back, so I'm whole. The other side says that I'm going to be walking for a while unless my luck changes.

I had to pay for an appraisal to get mine insured for what I thought it was worth.

As prices escalated further, last June they limited my next requested increase somewhat because they were behind the market a tad. I let it ride.

This year (2 weeks ago) I bumped it up 20% and they didn’t blink. Will probably be over insured by the next renewal, if not already.

Could using chains instead of ropes have made a difference? Or perhaps doubling up with two ropes? For those that tie down full time instead of hangaring (not saying that’s the case with this one), are there any extra precautions they take to prevent this from happening? Some ag pilots tie their crop duster outside, the very airplane in which they make a living.

Could using chains instead of ropes have made a difference? Or perhaps doubling up with two ropes? For those that tie down full time instead of hangaring (not saying that’s the case with this one), are there any extra precautions they take to prevent this from happening? Some ag pilots tie their crop duster outside, the very airplane in which they make a living.
Maybe, but is this a good time to bring it up? While still dealing with the loss?

Chains, IMO, are a terrible idea to use with airplanes.

Here's a good thread on the subject: https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/tie-downs-15083

"are there any extra precautions they take to prevent this from happening?"

Yeah, park your tail dragger away from the prevailing wind. That's the one thing I wish I had done differently.

I just watched some of your videos. They're beautiful! So sorry about your plane, but looking forward to your next plane and next videos!!

I use these.

Ratchet straps don't have much stretch and make it easy to put a negative load on the wings. Lots more information in the thread I linked above.

I just watched some of your videos. They're beautiful! So sorry about your plane, but looking forward to your next plane and next videos!!

Thanks!

I never knew chains were to be avoided. My club uses chains. A recent storm was so strong, a s-hook was bent so much it was pulled through the tie down ring. Another pilot just this weekend pointed out a barely perceptible bow in the strut. I'm now wondering if the storm caused it.

Ratchet straps don't have much stretch and make it easy to put a negative load on the wings. Lots more information in the thread I linked above.

Thanks!
I don't tighten them up, I always leave some slack except on the tail.

Could using chains instead of ropes have made a difference?
Everyone will have their opinions, but you'll certainly find chains in the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma. When the winds stops blowing up there, people fall over.

I used to climb mountains.

Before the Ashford Airport disappeared we'd fly the Cub in, hitchhike to Paradise and climb Mt Rainier from there. When I parked outside for the summer I used my old 150' climbing rope.

Good stuff!

https://www.rei.com/product/113458/black-diamond-99mm-non-dry-rope

f2f8a546-2026-4414-a288-1bbb5722d944

I don't tighten them up, I always leave some slack except on the tail.

I never got them, but I have considered these in the past. The ease of use of ratchets + getting rid of the shock loading. https://aviationvibes.com/shop/shock-strap/

Everyone will have their opinions, but you'll certainly find chains in the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma. When the winds stops blowing up there, people fall over.

Yup, Alaska also. Anywhere you find enough wind to warrant chains, you'll also find chained planes with cracked spars from shock loading.

I used to climb mountains.

Before the Ashford Airport disappeared we'd fly the Cub in, hitchhike to Paradise and climb Mt Rainier from there. When I parked outside for the summer I used my old 150' climbing rope.

Yup. Climbing rope seems to have a great blend of cost/availability/strength/stretch. There are two kinds. Static and Dynamic. Static is the desirable one for aviation. Dynamic has a lot more stretch to catch a falling climber and too much stretch to be the best choice for aviation.

Yup, Alaska also. Anywhere you find enough wind to warrant chains, you'll also find chained planes with cracked spars from shock loading.
Cracked spar or airplane blowing over... weather will always destroy airplanes if it's bad enough. I've seen several airplanes that were tied down destroyed when the wind ripped the tie-downs out of the ground. I've seen a plane destroyed when another plane that wasn't tied down properly blew into it. I've seen planes crushed in collapsed hangars. I've never seen one with a cracked spar because of a chain, but sounds like it happens.

Cracked spar or airplane blowing over... weather will always destroy airplanes if it's bad enough. I've seen several airplanes that were tied down destroyed when the wind ripped the tie-downs out of the ground. I've seen a plane destroyed when another plane that wasn't tied down properly blew into it. I've seen planes crushed in collapsed hangars. I've never seen one with a cracked spar because of a chain, but sounds like it happens.

Yeah, at some level you are just picking your poison. That thread Rich linked talks quite a bit about chains (and other options) and is pretty convincing.

I usually insist on a hangar if there's boomers in the vicinity, I'll pay handsomely for the privilege. I am so very sorry @rwellner98 , there are very very few airplanes that can do what a Maule can. I can only wish you success in finding a suitable replacement. For what it's worth, I can't insure my Mooney for what it's worth in today's market. If anything happened I'd not be able to buy one for what mine is insured for.

Back