100 Hours in 100 Days

Rich Holt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
holtyrd
Challenge accepted. If anyone in the area would like to help me reach my summer goal that would be awesome.

What kind of help are you looking for? …and when you say “in the area” where is that area?

What kind of help are you looking for? …and when you say “in the area” where is that area?
1. Time splitting.
2. Wing Man.
3. Ideas of where to go

I'm based out of Walterboro. I'll let you decide if that is in the area.

Wouldn't we all just love to do that.
I'm only doing about 10 a month so far this year, and my plane goes in for it's annual next week.............
Fuel burn in my plane is about 9 gal/hr at current 100LL prices that's $900....:( The most hours that I have flown is 35 hrs in 4 days. Good luck and have fun @Rich Holt

Fuel burn in my plane is about 9 gal/hr at current 100LL prices that's $900....:( The most hours that I have flown is 35 hrs in 4 days. Good luck and have fun @Rich Holt

Ummmmm. You forgot a step.

9 gal/hr * 100hr = 900 Gallons.

Take 900 Gallons and multiply by $7(?)/gallon and that's $6,300.

Sorry.

Fuel burn in mine is about 4.1 an hour.
Still, it's getting expensive just to burn holes in the sky.

That got me thinking. Had to look. I did 88 in a hundred days once. So go beat me. That's the best I can offer up in motivation.

I made me go look at my logbook too. I once did 105 hours in one calendar month, but it was over Afghanistan and I was operating on a waiver. Also I wasn’t paying for the gas. At least not directly paying for the gas…

I made me go look at my logbook too. I once did 105 hours in one calendar month, but it was over Afghanistan and I was operating on a waiver. Also I wasn’t paying for the gas. At least not directly paying for the gas…

423 in 90 days there. On a waiver to 440. That hurt.

Looking for loggable PIC time? Time splitting will only get you 50. Or need 200 hours in the air to yield 100.

Yes, I am nitpicking. You are on a worthy quest. Good luck. Keep us posted. Remember if you go west to east you can stretch that 100 days.

Waiver from what?

A few trips that I think are are musts

First Flight. Go early in the day, it takes a while to see everything.
St Simons for BBQ. There are also much better restaurants if you get away from the airport
Key West. Long, but you want an adventure, right?

Then there's Oshkosh....

It would seem that I have angered the flying gods with this proposal of mine. The left magneto failed this morning. Yes, the very same left magneto that was replaced during the 8 month long atrocity of an annual inspection. It has a whopping 14 hours of flight time. Ugh!!

I have flown 100+ hours a month before. Every day a was non-stop day of fueling, unloading and loading max loads of mail and freight, flight planning and weather checks. Don't know why we checked the weather because we are going anyway. Lunch was anything I could find to eat while flying. Bathroom break.?? Everything came to a stop just to go pee. All this almost felt like work...

Summers north of the Arctic Circle aren't called the 100 day war for nothing...

A few trips that I think are are musts

First Flight. Go early in the day, it takes a while to see everything.
St Simons for BBQ. There are also much better restaurants if you get away from the airport
Key West. Long, but you want an adventure, right?

Then there's Oshkosh....

ditto on first flight. It’s also really neat to fly S over the outer banks- nice, well maintained strips at hatteras and ocracoke.
Latter is especially nice as the only ways to ocracoke are GA or boat. Wild ponies to boot.

first flight is a pilgrimage for any aviator, or should be.

Fly up to Alaska and land on a glacier
An Alaskan trip will definitely get you close, and in a very short time span, if you like. I got 72hours on mine and could have easily increased that if I did more side trips while in Alaska, and all within 16 days.

Back in 1970, a friend and I flew a C-150, westward from Atlanta, around the Country. The total flight time in 15 days was 69 hours. These days I think I'd like to do it all over again, but without some of the stupid things we did on that trip.

Rich - are you retired sir? Children (grown?)?

Sounds easy enough. 1 hr a day, every day . . . But I assume you have some adventures in there somewhere.

I'm jealous. With work and kids I can't get 4 hrs a month.

I’ve done 160 hrs since march of 2021. Usually do in excess of 120 hrs a year. With current fuel prices low and slow is the way to go.

Rich - are you retired sir? Children (grown?)?

Sounds easy enough. 1 hr a day, every day . . . But I assume you have some adventures in there somewhere.

I'm jealous. With work and kids I can't get 4 hrs a month.
I tried to be retired once. It wasn't for me. I have a 9-5 (6-3) and two teenagers at home. This is mostly a weekend venture because evenings around here are stupid and hot and humid and bumpy.

did u spend .5 trying to start the plane......and then log it? ;)
Nope actually got made it cruise when the engine started feeling rough. Brought it back to the home drome and did another run-up. 400-500 drop in rpm on the left mag. That was replaced 14.6 hours ago. Some more troubleshooting led me to the belief that it is actually an ignition switch grounding issue. The ignition switch is also 14.6 hours old.

Back