Poll: Oil change before or after the trip?

Would you do the oil change before or after the trip?

• Before the trip.

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • After the trip.

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
I usually do oil changes every six months or 50 hours of airtime, whichever comes first. My last oil change was five months ago and I now have 48 hours of airtime since the last oil change. Engine is an O-320 with roughly 300 hours SMOH. On average, I fly once every two weeks, usually longer flights and the plane is in a hangar when not flown with cam guard always mixed into the oil. I have a trip coming up, which will be about 5 hours of airtime roundtrip.

Didn't we just answer this question a few months ago? Oil is cheap compared to engines and peace of mind ... change it and enjoy the trip!

^^^^^This^^^^^
+-3 hours makes zero difference...anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about...do it when convenient.

5 hours round trip

2.5 hours one way

change the oil at the destination :p

If I had time I would do it. Oil is cheap. If I didn't have time I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep about it and do it when I get back.

I would change it before the trip as that gives me a great opportunity to look at everything else under the cowling and decrease the likelihood that I break down away from home.

Of course, you could make the counter-argument that decowling before the trip and messing with things is more likely to cause an issue during the trip. Guess it depends how good you (or your mechanic) is.

Always change oil if the plane is going to be sitting idle or if trip is going to take you well past your hourly limit.

Are there any ADs that would be overflown if you wait until you get back? If not, I might give the airplane a good look over before the trip and then change the oil when you return.

I would change it before the trip as that gives me a great opportunity to look at everything else under the cowling and decrease the likelihood that I break down away from home.
This...

It really doesn't matter, just do it when convenient at 50 +/- 10 hours.

I'm with rgbeard and others...wait, or not whatever's convenient for you.
Personally I would lean towards waiting, if all else is equal.

I think it's a little better to put it to bed with clean oil...
using your target spec numbers
I mean I'd rather run it on the tip up to even say 60 hours...than I would let it sit in the hangar for a month or two with 48 hour run time on it waiting for your 6 months to pass.....

also, remember when we used to change car oil every 3,000 miles weather it needed it or not? What do we do now for cars? 6,000 miles...8,000 miles....? I know...different animal, depends on how it's driven, etc....still....

jesse said:
Of course, you could make the counter-argument that decowling before the trip and messing with things is more likely to cause an issue during the trip.
Honestly, if your mechanic is more likely to break things than fix things, its time to find a new mechanic.

I change my oil more frequently. An overhaul is what, $60k?

Didn't we just answer this question a few months ago? Oil is cheap compared to engines and peace of mind ... change it and enjoy the trip!

Actually a couple pilots around me are saying oil is becoming a little delayed in the deliveries.

Actually a couple pilots around me are saying oil is becoming a little delayed in the deliveries.

I'm flying experimental with an auto conversion so I use automotive oil. Seems it ain't no big deal for him to let it run a little over and change it on the return but I try to be strict about maintenance times.

I generally change oil at 35 hours or less. Could I get away with longer intervals? Most likely but I understand that oil & filter changes are pretty cheap and easy enough to do compared to a multi thousand dollar engine. Perhaps it's the paranoia in me. ;)

I never run my oil or filter much over 30 hours. Thats about the time the contaminants from blow by render the oil less than optimal.

Ended up getting it done today as my mechanic had time and since I had time as well, I was able to tag along and learn how to do it myself in case I ever have to for some reason.

Back