Cowl Plugs - When do you use them?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I recently acquired a set of cowl plugs for the Archer, thanks to @KevinB. Generally in the past, when I had a set of cowl plugs, I’d use them only if I was going to tie down outside or if it was cold. Now, I try to use them after every flight, as part of my post-flight ‘button up’, even when the airplane is in the hangar. My question is, and I believe I already to know the answer, but is there any harm to insert the cowl plugs right after shutting down in this 95F+ heat? I assume because the engine is no longer producing heat, there’s no harm putting them in no matter what the temperature outside is. I’ve also heard some who wait to let the engine cool down before placing them on. Opinions?

If nothing seems hot enough to melt, sure, only ones I’d wait a little on are the exhaust stack covers.

Last edited:
I recently acquired a set of cowl plugs for the Archer, thanks to @KevinB. Generally in the past, when I had a set of cowl plugs, I’d use them only if I was going to tie down outside or if it was cold. Now, I try to use them after every flight, as part of my post-flight ‘button up’, even when the airplane is in the hangar. My question is, and I believe I already to know the answer, but is there any harm to insert the cowl plugs right after shutting down in this 95F+ heat? I assume because the engine is no longer producing heat, there’s no harm putting them in no matter what the temperature outside is. I’ve also heard some who wait to let the engine cool down before placing them on. Opinions?
If I had a ornery hot starting fuel injected engine I may factor that in. Like your gonna be down for say just lunch and letting it cool down faster would be nice

...I’d use them only if I was going to tie down outside...
Exactly. Cowl plugs helped my club combat birds building nests inside the cowl.

I wait until I can touch (bare hands) something metal inside the cowl opening before I install the plugs.

Outside in the spring and early summer. After that, the birdies are not interested in building nests. Before that, they can do a lot of damage in a few hours.

I always install mine. Probably the last thing I do. No issues in 5 years...

When I’m in Florida I install after every flight,havnt had a problem with heat.

I don't have a set.....but, probably if I were to leave it sit out over night I'd use them.....but I don't have a set. :D

Here in Florida, I put them in every time I shutdown unless I am refueling and want to attempt a hot start asap.

I do use it in the hangar. I’ve seen birds in there before, but doubtful they’d go that deep to build a nest.

Depending on if I’m returning to the hangar soon or not, I’ll put them in after a flight. I just figure a faster cool down preserves paint, plastics, rubber, etc a tad more than keeping the heat in longer. No data, just knowledge of chemistry and how degradation occurs faster at higher temps.

I have a little heater thingie I bought from Aircraftheaters.com. I would have huge embarrassment buying something from so eponymously named a company, but the thing is great. It puts out warm air but never gets hot to the touch, has a thermostat if it gets too hot. I put it in the engine bay and put on the cowl flaps. Put moving blankets over the nose and the engine stays nice and warm all winter, always ready to fly.

Last edited:
I put them in right after shutting down. The only reason I do in the hangar is to keep me in the habit.

I developed a habit of putting them in as soon as we land from the flight school I went to. Lot's of birds around here and they can get it there in just a couple minutes after shutdown.

We receive a letter with our statement from the airport manager every month keeping us up on the latest airport developments. He warns in his letter in the spring to plug up our cowls as soon as we land to keep the birds out. Birds love airplanes, I see birds flying in and out of planes parked on the ramp regularly.

It is the first thing I do as I exit the plane every flight, cowl plugs and pito cover goes on. Being that it is hot does not effect the motor or cowl so far. 1200 hrs so far.

I use my cowl plugs when I am done for the day, in the hanger, and when I park outside in the cold to help keep the engine warmer, longer.
Like the others, in warm weather I don't put them in if I'm just visiting. Overnight, sure thing.

Assuming you have quality cowl plugs, there is no harm is inserting when engine is hot.

I only use cowl plugs outside a hangar in bird nesting season to keep the birds out and wherever in cold temps to help keep heat in.

I use it in my hangar after every flight. Along with a pitot cover.
On my last C172, I used it for 21 yrs with no issues.

Back