PS Engineering 450b transmit is low

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I just had a PS Engineering 450b installed in my Comanche and it seems good except for the transmit volume. I keep having tower and ATC saying they can barely hear me. I read through the manual and cant find anything. Help!

The PS Engineering 450B is not a transmitter. If ATC is having an issue, it will be related to transmitted signal strength. Make sure that all antenna connections are good. Take it to an avionics shop.

I would also think that’s a radio problem or a wire between the radio & the audio panel.

It just came from an avionics shop where they installed the panel. Im running a Garmin GNC355 for my radio so maybe there is an adjustment on there that I need to find. I can turn the volume up on the GNC355 but I guess I need to find a better transmit.

I don’t think any panel radio optionally transmits less than full power, I’ve seen this only on handhelds to save battery power.

I keep having tower and ATC saying they can barely hear me.
Did you have a similar problem before the new audio panel? I believe the PA450 has a fail-safe mode which bypasses the audio panel to the radio. Put it in fail safe and see if it makes a difference.

It just came from an avionics shop where they installed the panel. Im running a Garmin GNC355 for my radio so maybe there is an adjustment on there that I need to find. I can turn the volume up on the GNC355 but I guess I need to find a better transmit.

Take it back to the shop. They need to determine whether the inability of the tower to hear you is due to low audio signal or low transmit power. You could have plenty of output (carrier) power but a low source signal would still sound weak.

It could be something as simple as a poor connection. When things go wrong it's usually wise to go back and examine the last thing that was done. If it was good before the shop worked on it then they would most likely be responsible for whatever has changed. I'm not accusing them but saying that's the place I would start.

Exactly what Bell206 said.

Using any PS Engineering audio panel, when you press the pilot or copilot PTT, that microphone is mechanically connected to the selected Com.

To confirm the PMA450B is not contributing to the weak transmit reports, turn the PMA450B off and then ask again for a signal report. Odds are they will be very similar. If this rings true, you will have to continue troubleshooting to determine the cause of a weak transmit signal.

Well yes but it happened the same with my old Narco audio panel so its not the 450b

Im going to assume no just because I have a David Clark, Bose and Clarity Aloft and it does it with all of them.

Back