Oshkosh 2022 Group Parking/Camping Headcount

Hey, the Grumman gang gets special parking, right? Like in the shade so our glue doesn't melt. Perhaps a red carpet?

No?

Not 100%
I guess it's in my best interest to fuel up the plane go ahead and fly out there today just to secure a spot
Isn’t that @Radar Contact’s job? Surely he can get us all a spot. Pretty sure he flew in at least 5 times last year

If I take the aircraft I might do Vintage as well. If. Still up in the air. One thing is for certain. If I bring the aircraft Oshkosh it will almost certainly be for the last time.

Highly recommended. I've done warbirds, N40, Scholler and Vintage. Vintage is, by far, my preference. If the stars align I might be doing homebuilt for the first time this year, which I haven't done before.

Messenger app preferences? I could just do a group text, if people prefer that.

Groupme dot com is alright. Texting between iphone and android is still a drag when it comes to me pics and videos.

I’ve never been held hostage, but I have been part of a group text before. :eek:
The difference is that the FBI has a hostage rescue team to get you out of that situation, but in a group text nobody is coming to save you. (I was going to say 'the only way out is death' but I've had to monitor a deceased person's phone and the group texts just kept going.)

As usual, I'll be camping in the Vintage area. That's the area the EAA assigns me to photograph. Looking forward to meeting more of you there, especially if it's over a beer or two!
I'll be working in the ops building (tan buidling across from the hangar cafe) and camped in the woods out behind the hangar cafe. Just wander into the middle of it and ask. We usually have wine out after 8PM.'

I'll be working in the ops building (tan buidling across from the hangar cafe) and camped in the woods out behind the hangar cafe. Just wander into the middle of it and ask. We usually have wine out after 8PM.'
I will make an effort to find you! Sometimes I work from 4am to 9pm and just want to get back to my camp, but not every night!

@N4984R do you get a solar panel with that for the $570 or do you have to buy solar panels separate?

Do you just let those charge all day and use them at night?

Here’s the review video that i found that helped me decide.

When i ordered mine there had a sale going on that had the panels and power station discounted in a bundle. From what i can tell most the options that are available you panels are bought separately from the power unit.
The Buletti Panels and power station came out to 37.5 lbs

The other advantage to this is the solars panels are small (relatively) 24”x 24” when folded. So should easily fit through undersized baggage doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just got the word that blocking out spaces in Vintage (at least on the flight line side of the road, had been banned this year. If you don't have a plane in it (even if you paid for it), it's going to be reassigned. Small dispensation likely given to people just going out flying temporarily.

I just got the word that blocking out spaces in Vintage (at least on the flight line side of the road, had been banned this year. If you don't have a plane in it (even if you paid for it), it's going to be reassigned. Small dispensation likely given to people just going out flying temporarily.
195 people are going to love that

I have one of the battery packs and use a 60watt flexible solar panel to charge it. I run a little battery powered fan plugged into it to keep me cool in my tent.

I sell solar panels for a living, so I had one of the flexible ones laying around that a factory gave me for a sample. It keeps it charged pretty well, I just lay it on the wing of the Cherokee during the day, or if the wind is blowing, I will zip tie it to my tent poles. Something similar to this one

It charges my ipad, iphone and small battery bank at night, as well as runs the fan. It gets down to 30-40% by the morning I would say and has enough charge to run my coffee maker, which draws a bunch of amps.

The best thing to get, however, is a small portable battery bank like this one It is the same size as my iPhone and has a built in lightening charge cable. Fits in my back pocket and will charge my phone when I need it. Plug it in to the big battery bank at night

...I sell solar panels for a living....

WILL solar eventually become more of a thing? you know, a viable energy source for actual daily use, not just "barely charging stuff overnight" ? my investment portfolio wants to know..... :) thanks

WILL solar eventually become more of a thing? you know, a viable energy source for actual daily use, not just "barely charging stuff overnight" ? my investment portfolio wants to know..... :) thanks

I sell solar for off-grid applications for the Oil and Gas, Railroad, Municipal Water and Power Grid industries.

Mostly small setups, from 20w to 400w.

I manufacture them to my specifications in factories in SE Asia and yes, China. I buy them as cheap as anyone in the world.

And I have zero solar panels on my house.

The only solar panels I use in my business are to power fuel pumps and security systems.

I built two 15,000 warehouses in the last two years, just to store product. No power draw at all to them except for lights and a few fans in the summer. The power company charged me $10,000 to bring power to the buildings and put up a small 400amp transformer.

I looked at putting DC LED lights and building a ground mount solar rack using some of my panels to power the buildings. Even when I factored in using returns and seconds, I couldn't make the numbers work. The solar panels would have been worthless power wise (about 20 years) before I was even close to a payout.

But that was last summer, my electrical costs have now doubled in Texas. I might have to go back and look at what the payback on a system is with this elevated power costs.

Only if you show up at Osh this year.

Only if you show up at Osh this year.

I need to go to OSH, can't believe I haven't been yet, but I just checked and I'm on call for work that week. it's possible I could switch with someone but that gets ugly. OSH is the week of the July 25th, no?

I need to go to OSH, can't believe I haven't been yet, but I just checked and I'm on call for work that week. it's possible I could switch with someone but that gets ugly. OSH is the week of the July 25th, no?

Correct

I think EAA is becoming somewhat more bureaucratic than in days of past based on some conversations I've been having. Doesn't bode well for the organization. A nonprofit has to tread delicately as to not **** off its members.

Just tell them you won’t be there. You can work when you’re dead

I have a buddy with a house that’s a 5 min walk from the show. $200 a night for a room. 3 rooms and a basement.

I think EAA is becoming somewhat more bureaucratic than in days of past based on some conversations I've been having. Doesn't bode well for the organization. A nonprofit has to tread delicately as to not **** off its members.
In this case I understand because I was one of the people who used to complain about this. It's annoying parking in row 110 or whatever after taxiing past rows upon rows of "empty" spaces. The rule came down on high that Vintage has to stop this. While Scholler allows you to pay, stake out, and leave, none of the other (GAC/HBC) airplane areas permit it.

I have a buddy with a house that’s a 5 min walk from the show. $200 a night for a room. 3 rooms and a basement.

Is he really a buddy if he charges you $200 a night?

Just hurry up and start this show so I can order my PowerFlow exhaust.

You need to go man. There's Mooneys, Beer, and a lot of weird ****.

180/185 group is flying in together Saturday morning to scoop up our spots in Vintage all at once.

Back