Pelvic Sling

A

Anoyn

A couple of years ago, I needed to get rectopexy surgery to correct a bad case of rectal prolapse. As a result, I currently have a pelvic sling installed and a half dozen ~1.5" scars from where the surgeon went in laproscopicly. I have had no issues with it since getting it installed in early 2020 (about two weeks before COVID hit this country.) Are my scars going to cause any issues with getting my medical?

why would anyone see your scars?

Laproscopic incisions, to include those used for rectopexy surgery, are usually made on the abdomen. Normally, doctors ask you to remove your shirt, thereby exposing your abdomen.

I am not expecting him to ask me to drop my pants.

Laproscopic incisions, to include those used for rectopexy surgery, are usually made on the abdomen. Normally, doctors ask you to remove your shirt, thereby exposing your abdomen.

I think you need to see a different AME. I've never had one ask me to remove my shirt yet.

You have to disclose the surgery on the FAA form. I would get a consult with an AME find out what the FAA will require before you submit the form. Likely they will want your medical records from the surgeon who performed the surgery.

why would anyone see your scars?

I went to a local AME in WV one time. He wanted me to strip down so he could see my scars.

He explained scars may have to be used to identify the body.

He main source of income was his psychiatric practice....

I went to a local AME in WV one time. He wanted me to strip down so he could see my scars.

My current AME asks about scars and writes them on the form, but he doesn't ask to see them.

From what I read once he opens the form you can't go to another doctor end up denied I'm not surprised the FAA operates this way. Internet search "Doctor sexual assault arrest" I was shocked how many news reports of doctors being convicted of this. I would expect a few every decade there seems to be a few doctors every year.

One example of a doctor found guilty of 63 counts. https://www.redding.com/story/news/...sexual-assaulting-female-patients/7547862001/

Last edited:
My current AME asks about scars and writes them on the form, but he doesn't ask to see them.

That was 25 years ago. I haven't even had an AME ask to see or even ask about scars since.

At least the psychiatrist did not touch me....

I have never had an AME ask me to remove my shirt.

Never had to remove any clothing for my medicals, and have seen multiple doctors.
Being asked to remove your pants, should be questioned. I know that I would certainly be asking the doctor why.

BTW - when you google Pelvic Sling at work, the IT browsing security system kicks on. I'm expecting the IT police at any moment now....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back