I died as a baby

S

Survivor1

Strange as it may sound, I actually died as a baby but was resuscitated and lived. Let me explain. I was born several weeks premature and had complications that resulted in my heart stopping more than once. I had to have a few surgeries while in the neonatal unit to save my life. I am now 35 years old and want to become a pilot and am struggling with the medical paperwork. This medical history was relayed to me over the years by my parents who are now both deceased. I have no records and I cannot locate any. Does any of this matter to the FAA? What do I report?

Can you ask for records from the hospital? I assume you’ve tried that.

I don’t remember having to list my childhood medical issues that have long been resolved?

"Born premature, spent six weeks in neonatal care" would sum it up, right?
My opinion... If answering YES to "a surgical procedure" question, this added information should suffice.

I really don't think we will ever see on the 8500-8 HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE medical history question list, something like "18aa. Passed away"

I don’t remember having to list my childhood medical issues that have long been resolved?

Question 18, Do you now or have you ever in your life had….

Way back in the late 80s at my first FAA medical and as recently as my last FAA medical in 2019, the agency required additional testing for a long resolved childhood medical procedure that fell under one of the various Q18 subheadings.

Don't volunteer any details when don't have true knowledge. Just knowing you had surgeries is not sufficient information if you have no idea what type of surgery. This is prime territory for getting a consultation with the AME before entering any info into the FAA system. If you remember going to the doctor as a child and having follow up testing (i.e. EKGs that aren't normally given to a child) you could discuss that with the AME.

If I knew that was in my background, with little/no other info, at the least I'd want to have an EKG done to know my own health.

Over 75% of American males are circumcised, but I'm pretty sure practically no pilots have listed that.

We should all do that retroactively. "OMG, I'm so sorry, I forgot to report this on my medical 25 years ago!" It would be funny, except it would probably fully derail a system that is all ready jumping the tracks with a loaded train.

If your born in a hospital does that mean you were admitted to a hospital? What about those trips to the ER when your a kid trying to do a back flip on a bicycle off a homemade jump?

Last edited:
If your born in a hospital does that mean you were admitted to a hospital? What about those trips to the ER when your a kid trying to do a back flip on a bicycle off a homemade jump?

“I did it!!!”
[and I won’t hardly be able to walk, once I reach 40]

Don't volunteer any details when don't have true knowledge. Just knowing you had surgeries is not sufficient information if you have no idea what type of surgery. This is prime territory for getting a consultation with the AME before entering any info into the FAA system. If you remember going to the doctor as a child and having follow up testing (i.e. EKGs that aren't normally given to a child) you could discuss that with the AME.
Remember, this is the attestation on the form:
I hereby certify that all statements and answers provided by me on this application form are complete and true to the best of my knowledge, and
I agree that they are to be considered part of the basis for issuance of any FAA certificate to me.
Disclose what you know, don't speculate, don't answer questions that weren't asked. Have a consult with the AME before you do an actual exam.

Thanks for all of the replies and to answer some of the questions, yes I tried calling the hospital to no avail. I also called an AME and she told me that it would need to be reported but that it would most likely need further evaluation before I could be issued a medical and that it would be up to the FAA doctor. I came here hoping for a definitive answer to the contrary but I realize that probably wasn’t too likely.

Thanks for all of the replies and to answer some of the questions, yes I tried calling the hospital to no avail. I also called an AME and she told me that it would need to be reported but that it would most likely need further evaluation before I could be issued a medical and that it would be up to the FAA doctor. I came here hoping for a definitive answer to the contrary but I realize that probably wasn’t too likely.

Good luck be prepared to 6-8 month wait on a deferral that wait is to get a letter from them asking for more information, or testing done. Then more time waiting on an answer you provided them. I'm sure eventually come to some kind of resolution maybe find another AME who does this full time had some experience with this.

In my experience they will issue a medical with a shorter validation period, instead of 5 years, it may be 1. And if you don’t have any issues you’ll get a regular medical. They’ll probably require additional tests, but I would expect 6-8 weeks, not months unless post Covid problems have slowed the process down or you’re slow to respond.

One, how far back does the database the FAAs gained access to go back?

Two, I have zero memory of being born or when I was a infant, same with pretty much everyone, including those who made the choice to work for the FAA.

I don't know about the FAA but, as an anesthesiologist, I'd want more details than you've given before I'd put you to sleep for elective surgery. The FAA is usually more persnickety than I am, so be prepared to tell them what kind of surgery you had, especially if you have surgical scars on your chest, scalp, or back.

I don't know about the FAA but, as an anesthesiologist, I'd want more details than you've given before I'd put you to sleep for elective surgery. The FAA is usually more persnickety than I am, so be prepared to tell them what kind of surgery you had, especially if you have surgical scars on your chest, scalp, or back.

The question is how is one suppose to give any medical information for something that occurred at birth 30, 40, 50 years ago? I don't remember all the dentist, and doctor visits for the last 3 years I do the best I can produce what I can. Today I can look back on my insurance records to pull the information that wasn't possible years ago.

The question is how is one suppose to give any medical information for something that occurred at birth 30, 40, 50 years ago? I don't remember all the dentist, and doctor visits for the last 3 years I do the best I can produce what I can. Today I can look back on my insurance records to pull the information that wasn't possible years ago.

Before I put him to sleep for elective surgery, I’d consider an echocardiogram. He doesn’t have to know what happened long ago; I’d be interested in the present function and anatomy.

Before I put him to sleep for elective surgery, I’d consider an echocardiogram. He doesn’t have to know what happened long ago; I’d be interested in the present function and anatomy.

That sounds reasonable the FAA might want a lot more then that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back