Comm radio replacement costs?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
If I were to buy an aircraft (presumably an older aircraft with an old-fashioned, steam-gauge panel), and the radios were to fail and had to be replaced, about how much does this tend to cost? This includes both the price of the comm and the installation costs. I realize the price can vary depending on the name brand or the A&P who does the installation.

I’m not talking about a full-blown panel upgrade, I’m simply talking about being able to communicate with other aircraft, the FBO/tower, and turning on the runway lights at night :D. I’m not IFR-rated, and have no plans or desire to ever obtain the rating, so I’d be happy paying less for an aircraft with an old panel and use FF or a handheld for navigation. But the radios could go at any time with an aging panel, so I wanted an idea of what the replacement cost is, as I do want communication.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/comm-radio-installation-cost.121005/

Is this thread fairly accurate?

It's going to depend a lot on what's already in there and what you intend to put in its place. A compatible slide-in replacement is probably going to be cheaper than re-wiring and re-racking most of the time. If cost is that much of a concern then many radios are still repairable, even older ones.

But with all that said, I was once quoted 10 hours labor to switch over from a KY197 to an SL40.

depends on what it takes to get it up and running. can the radio be fixed. My kx-155 died and it cost me 1300 to get it repaired. works great now. if its a old unrepairable radio? replace it with what? a slide in is the cost of another radio, plus a bit of time by the A&P to sign it off. a different radio? comm or nav/com? a brand new com can be had for around 1k and a few hrs of install time. quick and easy for a single radio aircraft, more in depth if a audio panel is involved. a new garmin nav/com is about 7k plus more install time, again depends on what it also is hooked to. a garmin 750 plus install could be 30k or more.

Is this thread fairly accurate?
Depends. You have several options. On one side, if your current radio has a slide in replacement you might be able to change it yourself as preventative mx which would keep your costs low. Or you can buy a used serviceable or lower end radio from a larger outlet that also provides pre-wired racks and have your local APIA install it as a plug and play replacement. However, thats dependent on if the APIA is into that work and the complexity of your aircraft panel. Plus without a specific aircraft or radio system its hard to determine if the numbers in the thread are average or not.

Options

1) Have your radio repaired. May not be possible for older radios.

2) Buy a used working radio, the same as yours, and a quick swap and go on flying.

3) See if there is a slide in replacement radio. Swap and go.

4) Upgrade to a modern radio. You will buy the radio, and have a bill for labor to change the tray and rewire.

2 is likely to be the cheapest. 4 will be the most expensive, but also give you a new modern radio that will last a long time.

I had a problem with a common kx-155 a handful of years ago, it was an older SN. I bought a very late model kx-155 & slid it in, working fine to this day. The old one was sold with the known defect to recoup some $$.

I flew into Oshkosh one year with a handheld plugged into my headset, another option if only limited comm is needed.

New avionics install is real $$, done some. In recent years I’ve gotten an ads-b transponder, 2 G5s, a GPS-175, & the dedicated charging port.

I suggest you go WAY out of your way to repair or find the slide in options. If money weren't an issue you wouldn't be starting this thread.
Even a simple COM swap will cost double the face value of the radio, and that's if you can avoid "as long as you're in there" syndrome.

I replaced the Narco mk 12 in my Citabria (under supervision of course) with a VAL 2000 and in doing so learned why installation costs what it does.
The sheet metal work (R/R the trays and creating a filler panel because the VAL took up half the space) was straightforward enough. You would think the wires would be a 1:1 swap and easy to diagram.

But you'll find 60' of orphaned wire and a grounding scheme thought up by a shaved ape. In the end I was glad I did the work but I definitely gained an appreciation for why panel work takes so long and costs so much.

By the way, the VAL was a great little radio. Simple but worked
For my experimental build I went straight to MGL. You can get a 720 channel radio that fits in a 2-1/4" instrument hole. Built in (might even be 6 place) intercom, monitor your standby freq and channel memory.

If you want super simple, depending what you already have and what you want to keep, look at some of the radio/audiopanel combos that PS Engineering sells. PAR200B in particular. Single box that does audio panel, intercom and comm radio.

https://www.ps-engineering.com/PAR200B.html

I had a shop replace an old KX170B Nav/Com radio with a new Garmin GNC 255 Nav/Com radio last year. The new radio was ~$4500 and the labor was ~$2000. Another option I considered was replacing the old KX170B with a new or used MX170B/C which were slide in replacements. That would have been between $2-3k for the unit and labor would have been a couple hundred bucks (logbook entry and testing mainly).

A new Com only radio from Garmin (GTR 225) would run you about $2000 less than the GNC 255.

No such thing as an experimental radio. It’s up to the installing a&p to determine if it can go in a particular aircraft.

Perhaps ... but I'm quite certain you'll not find a Flightline 760A installed in a certified aircraft. :dunno:

but I'm quite certain you'll not find a Flightline 760A installed in a certified aircraft.
I don't know why someone would want to install a Flightline radio but there's nothing that would prevent its install in a TC aircraft under Part 43. There's quite a number of non-TSO /non-approved equipment installed in TC aircraft with no issues. The vendors/manufacturers on the other hand have to follow Part 21 and Part 3 if they wish to produce or sell radios, etc. for a TC aircraft.

I don't know why someone would want to install a Flightline radio but there's nothing that would prevent its install in a TC aircraft under Part 43. There's quite a number of non-TSO /non-approved equipment installed in TC aircraft with no issues. The vendors/manufacturers on the other hand have to follow Part 21 and Part 3 if they wish to produce or sell radios, etc. for a TC aircraft.

Confusing to say the least. Appreciate the follow up. BTW .. the Flightline 760A is a great radio but I believe they are out of production now.

My guess is the thread you linked would get you pretty close. I would add a little and figure that good for your purposes of shopping for an airplane. You really only need one radio for the type of flying you plan to do.

the Flightline 760A is a great radio
Well I'm glad you had good luck with them. My only experience with them was trying to help some other FL760 owners find a replacement radio to fit the same hole so they wouldnt have to redue their panel. They didnt seem to take the southern heat very well especially with a bubble canopy.

Well I'm glad you had good luck with them. My only experience with them was trying to help some other FL760 owners find a replacement radio to fit the same hole so they wouldnt have to redue their panel. They didnt seem to take the southern heat very well especially with a bubble canopy.

Really odd thing is ... I'm in a pretty warm place (been in the high 90's all week & expected to continue) and my aircraft has a bubble canopy. My Flightline 760 has been flawless for 10 years. I guess you pay your money and take your chances. The Microair M760 will replace these but I've heard & seen a number of concerns with those.

The Microair M760 will replace these
The only reason the local E/AB'rs came to me was at the time I had an inside track with Becker and Filser radios that could fill the hole to include used ones. I dont believe Microair was around then.

The only reason the local E/AB'rs came to me was at the time I had an inside track with Becker and Filser radios that could fill the hole to include used ones. I dont believe Microair was around then.

If I understand correctly the Becker is a pretty descent radio. Your thoughts appreciated ...

My Flightline 760 has been flawless for 10 years. I guess you pay your money and take your chances. The Microair M760 will replace these but I've heard & seen a number of concerns with those.
Wouldn't the Trig TY91 also fit?

the Becker is a pretty descent radio.
It was my go-to for a round radio as it offered reliable options to a full radio rack especially on the helicopter side. A bit pricey but I only experienced a couple issues which were dealt with quickly by their support techs. On the minus side they can be sensitive to installation techniques and errors. Plus if there is an internal issue only the OEM provided service in FL. Maybe thats different now. FYI: back around 2015 or so a number of used 25kHz Beckers hit the market when the EU/EASA mandated 8.33Khz spacing on VHF which led to some great deals in the US. I dont know if any of those units are still in the market but it was the reason for increased numbers in the used market and not an equipment issue as some portrayed.

Back