ATP Checkride - Non Airline, Non Type Ride

AndyTowPilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Andy
Hey,

Just a regular dude here seeking my ATP-MEL. Registered for ATP-CTP in August, and will take written and prep after. What experience do other guys have just "doing it to do it" in a light twin? How tough was the ride and oral? I know I can go through the ACS, but how did your actual ride go? Want to assure I am prepping well.

Thanks!
Andy

I think there is a pretty wide variance in that experience, depending on where you go. All should, of course, be holding anyone to ACS, but "bedside manner" tends to vary from what I've seen/heard. Choose wisely!

For most it’s a fairly easy ride, but I believe that’s because most people going for that grade certificate are more than casual aviators.
I did my ATP in the 90’s, but had thousands of hard IFR hours in a twin when I did.

Guessing the weekend pilot guy who occasionally goes IFR might find it more difficult.

It’s a IR checkride, including SE work, with the standards about twice as tight as a regular IR ride.

At least in the past, the usual procedure is to go with an ‘outfit’(vary widely) where you fly, refresh, warmup, & train in the exact plane you later do the checkride in. This could be 1 or several flights. Yes, most will kinda ‘teach the test’. You may never of flown that type, may never again.

I’d try to match a program that fits your profile. As an example, if most of the candidates are through a local flight program, it would be different from one that has a lot of transient pilots. You should be able to sniff out a few reviews & recaps. I’m not suggesting only seeking the ‘pencil-whipped’ program, just saying, look before leaping, or signing up.

Frank & I had a rough brief back in the day, still don’t like to be reminded. I had a little more pixx & vinegar back then, found out things can be salvaged after the F word was floated. The flight went most excellent, no complaints.

From the examiner side…many people seem to think the ATP CTP course is a waste of time, but it directly relates to TASKS I.C, D, E, F, & G do the oral. I’d suggest looking those over before you do the CTP course so you have some idea what you’re supposed to be learning.

Also, make sure you’re as expert as you can get on any topics you miss in the written. I’m doing a recheck today for a guy who wasn’t.:(

From the examiner side…many people seem to think the ATP CTP course is a waste of time, but it directly relates to TASKS I.C, D, E, F, & G do the oral. I’d suggest looking those over before you do the CTP course so you have some idea what you’re supposed to be learning.

Also, make sure you’re as expert as you can get on any topics you miss in the written. I’m doing a recheck today for a guy who wasn’t.:(

Thank you for the advice on this. I will absolutely check those tasks before attending!

Also thanks to the advice from others!!

I don't NEED to do this now, but decided I want to and can afford to before the cost gets too insane. An MEI costs 3 times what I paid for it 13 years ago. Hopefully I'll learn a lot, keep teaching, and maybe it will buy me some opportunity after I retire from my current career in ten years. I'll still be young.

Just to follow up…yesterday’s applicant came back prepared. :happydance:

Hope I can stay in touch with you on this! Would love all the advice I can get! Hopefully we are far enough apart it would not be a conflict of interest!

Back