Anyone ever fly into the Willow Run Airshow?

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
My daughter and her boyfriend talked me into going to the Willow Run/Yankee Air Museum airshow. I went one time before (driving) and I did not really care for this airshow, as the parking/entry/exit was horrible...but I'm wondering if I might be able to fly in instead.
Anyone ever do it?

Well, I did my own follow up...
I contacted the director of the airshow, and to summarize his advice: "I wouldn't do that if I were you." Guess driving is the only way.

I contacted the director of the airshow, and to summarize his advice: "I wouldn't do that if I were you." Guess driving is the only way.

Weird. The TFR is only for 30 minutes. Otherwise, I'm surprised it's not business as usual.

Weird. The TFR is only for 30 minutes. Otherwise, I'm surprised it's not business as usual.
The director was very nice, and answered quickly, but advised against it because you will end up stuck on a ramp 4 miles from the show, without a reliable way to get to and from the show, and no tie downs.

The director was very nice, and answered quickly, but advised against it because you will end up stuck on a ramp 4 miles from the show, without a reliable way to get to and from the show, and no tie downs.

Aha, that makes sense...

Got a son who’d like to fly there. Looking at the diagram for YIP,I am not understanding how I could end up 4 miles away, unless I have to land and park on the extended grass surrounding area. I assume the airport closes down around show times, and would have to arrive & leave before / after. Did the director mean you’d have to fly into Belleville 43G?

I realize this is a necro-post, but am wondering if the original poster asked the wrong person. Seems like it should be up to posted notams and the control tower, not the show director, whether one is allowed to fly in at that time. Parking should be up to ground control, right?

I realize this is a necro-post, but am wondering if the original poster asked the wrong person. Seems like it should be up to posted notams and the control tower, not the show director, whether one is allowed to fly in at that time. Parking should be up to ground control, right?
I've been to this airshow and flown to this airport (but not at the same time)...I would agree with the director's statement, "I wouldn't do that if I were you." Although 4 miles doesn't make sense, 1-2 miles away, from GA ramp to airshow, is probably more like it.

BTW, a better one to fly into is Battle Creek. They cater to fly-in as much as drive-in attendees.

Last edited:
I flew to the Dayton Airshow once, it was great. We were right at the gate, got right in, the gals got to use the FBO loos instead of the portathingies. Got right out without any waiting too. I'd do that again.

I kept looking at this and read "Willow Run" as the name of a B-24 that was built there during WWII - "Willit Run". :p

Flew there this past Saturday, and this was NOT AT ALL my experience. I timed the flight so we arrived between shows, IAW the posted TFR times. Got a traffic notice from Detroit approach to look out for a B-17, whilst approaching the airport (how often does that happen?) Had absolutely zero issues getting landing permission VFR. Had a couple thousand people grading my landing, I suppose :) Taxied over to AvFlight, parked near a Huey and a few other folks that flew in. Got the VIP treatment from the FBO, fuel when I needed it, and had great seats for the show - got to watch the B-17 taxi back out and take off. Thankfully the Huey was not too close - just had to hang onto the door for a few minutes while he took off. Even staying clear of the class B was no big deal (something new for me).

I might do this again, sometime! Just pay attention to the TFR & any special taxi instructions.

Only weird thing was when ready to taxi, called YIP ground - they referred me to Detroit approach - ? Who, of course, then chased me away. Got a better response from YIP tower, who was apparently also handling ground on the same frequency. Didn't see anything in the TFR about that one.

We went by car...this show is a dud...we won't be back. And $225 per car? Fugetaboutit!!! We also did Traverse City this year, so that probably ruined us (Traverse City is a fantastic show...and...IT IS FREE!!!).

Back