Info on Niagra Falls

Doug States

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dstates
My wife and I are planning a flight here in the next couple of weeks. I'm aware of the special air traffic procedures over the falls. Any suggestions for other things to do in the area, best airports, best hotels? Are Uber/Lyft rides available to get from the airport to the falls? Is there a transient parking area at KIAG if I'm not needing services from the FBO?

Thanks!

National Warplane Museum located at D52 if you aren't afraid of grass. 5000' turf runway in very good condition. Great bunch of people wrenching on airplanes on the weekends and if the weather is nice you never know what will be flying. The C47 will be in Philly this weekend but should be back the following weekend.

Other events: http://www.upstatelist.org/

I think overnight tie downs at IAG is only $7 a night plus a small landing fee. Gas is expensive. You’re close to town so an Uber won’t break the bank.
It’s also worth flying over Letchworth and visiting some airports in the Finger Lakes region if you have time. (Canandaigua, Skaneateles and others)

Special procedures over the falls... hmmm...

So there I was in a 767-300, capt, flight attendants and me. Ferry flight in to get the Falcons.

I jump on the radio, uh, can we fly over the falls?

Ya, stay above 1500 and report when ready to go to Buffalo. That was it. So there we were, doing turns about a point in a 767 as all the flight attendants cycled through for a look see.

Was pretty cool!

If you stop into D52 Letchworth is just to the south. What are you flying?

Been there a few times. Often, if the tour copters aren't running, they'll let you fly right over the falls (I come from Michigan). Last time, we stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street from KIAG...pretty nice as far as Holiday Inn standards go, and you can look out your hotel window and see your plane parked at the FBO. Uber/Lyft is easy peasy. One word of caution: if it is the weekend, it can be insanely busy at the falls, and many of the foreign tourists do not share our views of what is acceptable in a crowd (I was repeatedly elbowed/pushed at the falls railing).

Fly the pattern at 3500 or above. There’s a frequency for falls tours, just broadcast your position. I fly at 3700 to get some space from traffic not on frequency. I’ve been surprised before.
Helicopters will be at 2500 so not an issue.

If you stop into D52 Letchworth is just to the south. What are you flying?

I'll be in a Cessna 170. I actually fly out of Geneseo, IL so it would be fun to stop in at Geneseo, NY. Any chance there is a courtesy car at D52?

Sorry no courtesy car unfortunately it isn't a typical airport it mainly exists because of the museum. Not sure what airports nearby have cars actually. PM me when you plan to be around if I can I will buzz up there and show you around.

Cave of the Winds. Stand under the falls. Amazing!

Yes, there are special procedures….get the AF/D for the Buffalo area. It provides the frequencies and routes over the falls and in the area. Probably easier to stop at IAG and pick up CFI, let them fly while you sightsee.

Back