Pointers for 06C Shaumburg, IL

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Approaching from the South (Indiana). What’s the best way, instrument flight plan, vfr flight following, or shut-up & stay under the Bravo? I was thinking I’d be vectored for an hour if I went in IFR.

Was considering PWK also.

We have relatives coming in to O’Hare on the airlines and staying at the airport hotel for 24 hours, looking at the best option to visit them for a day trip. Might head downtown with ‘em.

Tagging in for the 06c tips. That's one of my three remaining. Pwk is easy to get into, but I think parking is expensive. I've had good luck up there with flight following.

Paging @kaiser....@kaiser to the white courtesy phone....

Speaking of which.. watch out for NORDO Cubs....

Can't comment on IFR but flying VFR with or without FF will be easy. I've come from the east probably 50+ times headed to the same area (KDPA a few miles west of 06C) and most of the time with FF. Of all those times I can count on 1 hand the number of occurrences where I've been cleared into B/C airspace. They usually don't let me take a short cut... so I always just plan to go around it. My typical path is flying south around KMDW and following the edge of C airspace up towards DPA/06C.

If you want more scenic you can fly the Lakeshore though! If you do that I would def recommend being on FF.

I can't speak for 06C prices, but I can tell you PWK will be expensive if you head there...

D-> @ or below 2,500 then drop down to pattern altitude. follow the vfr flyways depicted on the chicago fly chart. I did that every time I flew in there, which is none, but seems pretty straight forward. can't say if it's the best way tho.

Coming from Indiana, I’d fly over Gary and then north along the lake shore at about 2000’. Enjoy the view! Chicago Approach provides flight following and traffic advisories. Then abeam KPWK, turn left and cross over Executive (Class D, so you need to talk to the tower there). From there join the pattern at Schaumburg.

That’s VFR. There is no way to get into Schaumburg IFR.

- Martin

I’m writing this in pieces so bear with me.

To/from ORD, I think 06C is a touch closer by car than PWK. Also I would expect PWK to be $$$$$$$$ (use Hawthorne) compared to 06C’s $$$$. At 06C you have a plethora of tie down spots and even an option to put it in a hangar. The only real disadvantage to 06C is sometimes you get a stiff crosswind (runway is 11/29 with buildings north and trees south). Though at PWK they’ll land you on 16, even with a decent tailwind… not my favorite.

Chicago Approach does not provide instrument services to 06C. They’ll get you close but you have to cancel. It sits under a 1900’ Bravo shelf and has no approaches.

If it were me, it would be based on weather. Anything better than garbage weather I would opt for 06C. If it’s really nice weather, fly up the Chicago lake shore, then are the “Eisenhower transition” at 1600-1700 MSL under the Charlie and Bravo. It follows I-290 and is a neat short cut. Emergency outs are typically parks and parking lots. If the weather isn’t spectacular, I’d swing around south of KMDW and stay in as high of a bravo shelf as you can (like the 3000’ shelf). You’ll get loads of thermals in the summer. On a hot day (like middle of next week), you can expect moderate turbulence, especially over the warehouse district.

If it’s IFR and you’re coming from the south, I’d also take a close look at DPA or GYY. They have lots of good instrument approaches and are on “the south side” of the airspace. I don’t know how bad the vectors are to get into PWK from the south under IFR. Let’s just say you may save time landing at DPA (further out) than getting vectored half way across the state.

With respect to comms, Chicago approach is great. I try to be on FF as much as I can. I’d say lake shore and Eisenhower transition, definitely do FF. Helicopter tfc gets naughty and not a lot of space to maneuver sometimes.

Edit: Eisenhower transition takes you westbound from Lake Shore/~Sears Tower towards KDPA

Tagging in for the 06c tips. That's one of my three remaining. Pwk is easy to get into, but I think parking is expensive. I've had good luck up there with flight following.

Sounds like Pilot Pete's for the next get together. Curious what the other two are.

Sounds like Pilot Pete's for the next get together. Curious what the other two are.
ENL... just forgot it on my last trip south
8N2 (skydive Chicago)... waiting for a day that's vfr, but not nice enough for skydiving ops.

Then 11 grass strips which I'll use the Cessna for.

I’ve come into Schaumburg IFR from the south. Solid ceiling about 2k. They had me fly an approach into DuPage then vfr to Schaumburg.

Chicago really does not like departing ifr from there and I’ve heard some waiting 20-30 minutes for a departure clearance. So depart vfr if at all possible and pickup ifr later

8N2 (skydive Chicago)... waiting for a day that's vfr, but not nice enough for skydiving ops.

Been meaning to go to Dacy 0C0. Apparently the absolute cheapest fuel around. Your project is a neat idea I might have to duplicate

Been meaning to go to Dacy 0C0. Apparently the absolute cheapest fuel around. Your project is a neat idea I might have to duplicate
Been there. Have really good cushions and prop clearance if you’re going to land there!

I am in for a Pilot Petes meetup!
My only complaint is that it’s the closest airport to my house so it would be a little daft for me to drive further away to fly in. Never mind, that’s a brilliant idea! I’m in!

You can take your Lance into Cushing (0C8), just as smooth as Gaston’s. Keep eyes out for paramotors.

Lol just was there today to pick up @rwellner98 . I just STFU and came in under the Bravo.

Having trained at a Delta under a Bravo, and later flown in Mexico and Germany, it's always interesting to me how some people get a little spooked by going to different environments.

@455 Bravo Uniform you might also consider Midway if you're going downtown. You can take the train downtown from there. If you are going to stay closer to ORD, then Schaumburg is the better option.

According to your profile, you are based out of KLAF. I happened to just be there a few weeks ago. Schaumburg is going to be easier than a busy training day at the university with the whole fleet circling the pattern at varying levels of comms skills. :)

Last edited:
Been there. Have really good cushions and prop clearance if you’re going to land there!

My only complaint is that it’s the closest airport to my house so it would be a little daft for me to drive further away to fly in. Never mind, that’s a brilliant idea! I’m in!

Worse than c81??

Go rent the cub, wait for guys to show up...and then roll up like a baller.

C81 has a pretty rough paved runway. Not sure about the grass.

All the way back in the mid 90s when working on my ppl we were told not to land at C81 (but we weren't allowed to rent after dark without a CFI either - as PPL).

I landed at Cushings during my PPL training in a Warrior. Instructor wanted me to experience a grass (soft field landing/take off)

OMG @rwellner98 was that your bird on the news?
I was at 06C this morning for a little cubbin but all the power was out.
I thought I saw your plane tied down until tonight's news. I hope all is well.

Tears have been shed over less. I know you loved that plane.

Sorry @rwellner98 . I was so pumped to see it the other day on the ramp because I follow your YouTube vids. Never even considered that outcome. I hope you're upright and airborne soon.

Last edited:
Sorry @rwellner98 . I was so pumped to see it the other day on the ramp because I follow your YouTube vids. Never even considered that outcome. I hope you're upright and airborne soon.

Yeah, man. I got to the US Saturday. Was ready for two months of flying and filming. Such a bummer...

Back