Ever have a nightmare about flying?

I've had maybe 2 or 3 nightmares involving flying, but most of the time my brain takes me back 25 years to a previous business and trying to locate pieces of equipment that are not where they should be.

I'm usually naked in those dreams too. That part doesn't bother me, but I thought I would pass that along to give all of you nightmares thinking about that.

I've had a nightmare where I witness the crash. Small GA plane (Skyhawk? Definitely a Cessna) spinning into a playground at school. Also have one where a large transport plane (I think 747 because it has 4 engines) on fire headed towards my event. I've had it where I'm in the city and the burbs and the plane just gets bigger and bigger headed at us. Can't get away. Wake up right before impact.

I used to have a couple of recurring dreams about flying. It was long before I ever even thought about being a pilot. One I was always flying a small plane at high altitude and the sky was criss-crossed by wires everywhere. In the other I am an airline pilot landing at an airport that is built like a parking garage with planes going all directions landing and departing.

Never. But I used to have a recurring dream that I could fly without a plane.

I haven't had a nightmare of any sort since I was around 7 or 8 years old.

I've had a hard commute to work a few times, because I was driving/taxiing a Skyhawk to work. Difficult to keep the wing clear of hitting the other cars. What would cause that dream I have no idea.

Back when I was working on my CFI, I had a really vivid nightmare. I had made it to a regional airline flying an ERJ. As we were rotating on rollout the plane suddenly rolled over. I remember vividly seeing the sky rollover into the ground and then right at impact everything went black and I woke up sweating.

There was a recurring dream about being in an urban area and having trouble finding a gap between overhead wires large enough to climb through. Haven't had that one in a while, but in the last couple of years, I did have one about taxing too close to a building and knocking a few feet off the end of a wing.

Last edited:
I joked with my first response, but I actually do have a reoccurring flying dream: I'm flying a plane with a travel trailer attached! I'm flying low, and I keep looking back, making sure the travel trailer (which is behind/drooping down at about a 45 degree angle) is not hitting anything...not a full on nightmare, but it does cause me some concern in my dream. I usually laugh when I wake up, but I've had the dream several times...maybe my subconscious is telling me I'm overloading the plane!

I joked with my first response, but I actually do have a reoccurring flying dream: I'm flying a plane with a travel trailer attached! I'm flying low, and I keep looking back, making sure the travel trailer (which is behind/drooping down at about a 45 degree angle) is not hitting anything...not a full on nightmare, but it does cause me some concern in my dream. I usually laugh when I wake up, but I've had the dream several times...maybe my subconscious is telling me I'm overloading the plane!

Great for those fly in camping trips.
What sort of mpg do you get towing?

I had a vivid nightmare that I forgot how to handle a stall and just kept pulling up. It was one of those dreams where you know you're doing something wrong, but your mind just won't let you fix it. So I just kept pulling up in the stall until the dream ended. A week later I went out and did slow flight and stall practice to help protect from that dream becoming a reality :).

I have. Usually along the lines of the wings coming off, and all you can do is hold on until the ground comes up.

I have a few times had a stall dream, but I’m always on the ground and watching a large transport stalling close to the ground.

Interesting that a common theme here is stalling.

I flew with a guy, 12 years, that had several of them. After a few years of him telling me about his I had a few. After I quit flying with him, they went away. I hope this thread does not restart them. :)

Yes, many times. Bad dreams usually include some combo of high-line wires everywhere I turn, busting airspace, or trying to figure out how to take off from odd places with trees, dirt roads, wires, high grass, etc. I usually wake up in a cold sweat needing to pee.

Jackk was joking about the government in the future making people report their dreams.

So I jokingly quoted his post, and said page # 931.
Joke's on you... it's probably not a joke for long.

I don't know that I would call it a nightmare, but I used to dream that I could fly, without an airplane. The problem was that I hadn't learned and could find no way to control it, so I'd just sail over houses ad fields and couldn't get down.

I don't think I've had any that involved an airplane.

Most my rare nightmares involve forgetting to drop a class in college and now I have to pass the final exam or I won’t graduate. All this 30+ years after graduation. Even that has been a few years ago.

I think I had a dream about trying to land in a field of power lines with an engine out. I made it down, so not sure that counts as a nightmare…

Most my rare nightmares involve forgetting to drop a class in college and now I have to pass the final exam or I won’t graduate. All this 30+ years after graduation. Even that has been a few years ago.

Haha, now that's another I still have 20 years after my last schooling. Except in mine I'm lost on campus, not sure where my class is, not sure which day it is and which class I'm supposed to be in, and realizing it's already mid term and I haven't attended a single class or studied.

Haha, now that's another I still have 20 years after my last schooling. Except in mine I'm lost on campus, not sure where my class is, not sure which day it is and which class I'm supposed to be in, and realizing it's already mid term and I haven't attended a single class or studied.

Yep, I've had ones similar to that several times. And I finished grad school in 1989. Isn't it funny how college sticks with you like that? I've never had a single dream about high school.

I've been retired for about a year now, and I have dreams where I'm wandering around the buildings at work trying to figure out where my office is or where the meeting I'm supposed to attend is being held. Or circling the parking lot trying to find my reserved parking space.

My Sister called them "Teacher dreams" She was a teacher. I had nightmares about work. Occasionally still do. One was falling asleep on a red eye, and waking up not know where we were or who we should be talking to. You get the idea. Another was simulator stuff. Still another was not getting the wake up call and missing "van time". I usually set two alarm clocks and a hotel wake up call. The nightmares were most common when I got home from a trip and was totally spent, exhausted. Some were very scary to my wife. I would wake up violent, not know where I was and ready to defend myself, at all costs! Soemtimes they were so real, I had to get up, not knowing where I was and wonder the house for a while to wake up. I'm surprised I never did that at a hotel. Yes stress dreams are REAL! Some after Sept 11 were horrific for my wife. More so after FFDO training.

I've had a few different ones. Wires all of a sudden everywhere after taking off.

Aliens crashing airliners into the airport I'm at.

Worst one is when I'm leaving on a very long cross country and spill the bourbon shortly after takeoff.

I’ve had dreams about being stuck under obstacles and unable to climb. But eventually I’ll find a hole and get out, so it’s not really a nightmare.

Lately it’s been something with flying into controlled airspace and forgetting to talk to the controller. Or forgetting to check out the plane and everyone looking for me.

I had one that would creep in every couple of weeks. I was spinning out of control like a wing had come off or something. The entire dream was me looking in the back seat at my son strapped in his car seat screaming. He was 1 or 2 in the dream that started when he was only a few weeks old. I figured they would stop when he got older than the kid in the dream but wouldn't you know it, his younger brother is 3 years younger and they could be twins. I made the mistake of telling my wife about it and she asked me not to take both boys flying at the same time. Since my dream was about 1 kid and not both or her being with me, I just went solo or took them all.

Silly but it helped me not think about it. Haven't had that in a long time now that the youngest is 6. My bad dreams now are more about being stuck in the 172 with the entire family and neither the kids tablets or the pilot ISO switch are working...

I once had a dream where I was in a twin and in the pattern to land. When I turned base to final, I reduced the power, and both props stopped turning. I thought to myself, this isn't good, so I pushed the throttles back up and the props started turning again.... normal landing.

Hmmmm..... This might be a more interesting question for my passengers.

@2-Bit Speed ? @SkyChaser ? How about it? Have the nightmares from our last flight subsided yet?

I haven't had any nightmares, but since I was flying for a bit of that flight, I wouldn't know if I'd caused them myself or not if I had any. ;) @2-Bit Speed hasn't had any that he has told me about, so I think we're all good. :D

Yeah. I'm young again in the back of a C-130. We're gonna do a HALO jump. Down goes the ramp and we all bomb out. I'm in the air looking for my buddies when I realize I don't have my rig on.

Yeah. I'm young again in the back of a C-130. We're gonna do a HALO jump. Down goes the ramp and we all bomb out. I'm in the air looking for my buddies when I realize I don't have my rig on.
:hairraise:

But were you at least wearing your under britches.??

Back