Stolen identity used in ER

I

ID Theft

Someone claiming to be me, made an ER visit to a local hospital three weeks ago. I have filed a police report and am working to get the visit records. The hospital would not tell me over the phone what the person was treated for. I found out through the billing company contacting me for insurance details and then I called the hospital who said I was there.

I am concerned about the FAA discovering this and associating it with me. I am not going to disclose a visit that I did not make when I renew my medical a month from now.

I think I should tell my AME. Any thoughts? I mean, what if this person was there for something crazy like an alcohol issue, schizophrenia or somesuch?!

I am not going to disclose a visit that I did not make when I renew my medical a month from now.
I'm not sure where you'd disclose it if you wanted to. It's not a visit to a doctor by you and it doesn't relate to a condition you have or have been diagnosed with. Hang on to that police report. Presumably you told your ins. company this wasn't you, so they won't pay it.

I'm not sure where you'd disclose it if you wanted to. It's not a visit to a doctor by you and it doesn't relate to a condition you have or have been diagnosed with. Hang on to that police report. Presumably you told your ins. company this wasn't you, so they won't pay it.

The insurance company doesn't know about it as the billing company was calling me asking about ins. I think someone went to the ER, claimed to be me and never provided insurance details. They are sending me a bill and I am trying to figure out what services were rendered.

The FAA might discover it. And that’s fine, because it’s wasn’t you. They may ask a few questions and that’ll be the end of it!

I had someone with the same name as me (possible stolen identity) flag with the FAA once. No idea why that person was in trouble. They questioned me for a few minutes during a routine CFI renewal at the FSDO. Kinda strange! Luckily I knew a couple of the FSDO examiners for most my life. It became obvious to them after a few questions that it definitely wasn’t me. He said not to worry about it. Never another word about it. That was at least 15 years ago.

Recently it seems more and more hospitals are taking photos of patients for their files. They might also want to scan your ID (driver's license). You would also have to sign consent forms. I'd go to the hospital and make them prove to me that I was there. Show me what I signed and give me copies of any paperwork I was given upon my release. Get a copy of all paperwork, police reports, etc. Demand that the billing company send you a detailed bill of services rendered. If not then the billing company may be someone trying to shake you down for some money. Either way I agree with the others, if it ain't you then there's nothing to report to the FAA.

Hmm, if you tell them it was not you, then they cannot release any medical records to you.

You DO know denying stuff with the FAA is a primary diagnostic criteria don’t you? Just sayin....

Recently it seems more and more hospitals are taking photos of patients for their files. They might also want to scan your ID (driver's license). You would also have to sign consent forms. I'd go to the hospital and make them prove to me that I was there. Show me what I signed and give me copies of any paperwork I was given upon my release. Get a copy of all paperwork, police reports, etc. Demand that the billing company send you a detailed bill of services rendered. If not then the billing company may be someone trying to shake you down for some money. Either way I agree with the others, if it ain't you then there's nothing to report to the FAA.
My local hospital won't touch you without ID and insurance card.

I’m guessing it was a patient with a similar name that erroneously got registered as you for that encounter. Either way, it was a misidentification. ;)

The FAA might discover it. And that’s fine, because it’s wasn’t you. They may ask a few questions and that’ll be the end of it!

I had someone with the same name as me (possible stolen identity) flag with the FAA once. No idea why that person was in trouble. They questioned me for a few minutes during a routine CFI renewal at the FSDO. Kinda strange! Luckily I knew a couple of the FSDO examiners for most my life. It became obvious to them after a few questions that it definitely wasn’t me. He said not to worry about it. Never another word about it. That was at least 15 years ago.

Have you dealt with FAA medical?

I’m guessing it was a patient with a similar name that erroneously got registered as you for that encounter. Either way, it was a misidentification. ;)

I doubt it, probably a illegal fraudulently using his ID, this is sadly not uncommon, and I’m sure it can be cleaned up easily, on the non FAA side at least.

This is one of the reasons to NEVER carry your social security card and ideally carry the least amount of IDs and banking info as possible, also understand the value of what you toss in the trash, get a cross shredder, or burn it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back