Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
My very first flight was 6/24/19
Soloed 8/16/19
PPL 11/14/19
IFR 8/31/20
Brought my Lance home 10/24/20
8 tail numbers, 6 types, 470 hours, 743 landings; 2 precautionary, one forced.

Fun looking back through the entries. Monday will start #2.

20220611_212150.jpg

Good job and good and maybe a few not so good memories…I gave up log books some 20 years ago other than noting currency and flight reviews and IPC’s as necessary…sort of wish I was more diligent…

Congratulations!

I have filled up many over the last 26 years, it is fun looking back, and reading the comments occasionally.
When you get 10 filled up, go back and read #5, make sure that you leave yourself notes on weather, funny stories, cool passengers, stuff that went wrong or right.

Have a long and safe time flying!

Congrats @Jim K . That bottom one looks rather ragged, though.

I wish I could read my handwriting enough to be able to maintain written logs. Its how I know I was supposed to be a doctor.

Congratulations!

I have filled up many over the last 26 years, it is fun looking back, and reading the comments occasionally.
When you get 10 filled up, go back and read #5, make sure that you leave yourself notes on weather, funny stories, cool passengers, stuff that went wrong or right.

Have a long and safe time flying!

This one I find impressive

Soloed 8/16/19
PPL 11/14/19
IFR 8/31/20

View attachment 107690
Cool deal!

I didn’t realize you were a newer pilot same as I.

I am on my 4th log book.
Almost 1200 hours well over 2000 landings
Earned my ppl spring of 2016
Instrument rating 2018
Most of my time in 172s, a few in a 182 and about 25 hours in my buddies Cherokee and 5 in his new arrow.
A few days ago we did a 2.8 hr IPC.
I try to fly 4-5 days a week all year long including last night and today.
IMG_0910.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe you were meant to be a CFI? I literally cannot read a single entry that a CFI has scribbled into my log book.
That's funny... most of my cfi's have had tiny, neat handwriting. I was super impressed by the guy who did my HP checkout... he got three lines in there legibly.... and that tiny signature. He carried a .3mm pen just for logbooks

20220612_084139.jpg

My primary instructor was fairly neat too. You can pick out the entry I made... (also my 2yo got ahold of my book and made some art for me... memories)
20220612_084232.jpg

One instructor I flew with for a bit had very nice writing.... her entries are the best looking pages in my log book!
The worst entry has to be my instrument checkride. I have no idea what it says....probably an insult and about how close I was to failing...but I don't care because it came along with the temporary certificate ;)

Soloed 8/16/19
PPL 11/14/19
IFR 8/31/20

That logbook’s only 3 years old? What did you do to the poor thing, run over it with your car?

That logbook’s only 3 years old? What did you do to the poor thing, run over it with your car?
300 trips in & out of my flight bag :dunno:

After seeing your writing I feel slightly better. My instructor could fit a damn paragraph in there and do it legible.

I am just 3 pages into my second logbook with about 1,000 hours. I’m surprised someone could have 1,200 hours and four logbooks. I guess most of my flights are long.

I am just 3 pages into my second logbook with about 1,000 hours. I’m surprised someone could have 1,200 hours and four logbooks. I guess most of my flights are long.
I was logging every full stop landing on a separate line for years. Recently I started logging a whole day on one line which will save me plenty of log books in the future. Just have write smaller just like a CFI I guess?!
I do have nice small tip pen that works good in my log book.

10,000 hours and on my second Logbook, second one is large. 30 years ago, I started putting in one entry per month since usually I only flew one airplane. If I flew another, I would put usually put the flight in my Logbook. 15 years ago, I started flying 2 airplanes regularly, one entry in the Logbook per year per airplane. For the combined entries I print out our company flight reports and put them in a 3-ring binder, so I do have records of where I have flown.

You know that it doesn't need to be in your flight bag if you're not a student/sport/rec pilot, right?
Sure, but it's an awfully convenient place for it. I'll usually pull it out and at least write down the hours before I push the plane back into the hangar. Saves having to crawl back into the plane to get the hour meter reading or guesstimate from flightaware. I then generally finish the entry at home, so it's probably more like 600 cycles.

Sure, but it's an awfully convenient place for it. I'll usually pull it out and at least write down the hours before I push the plane back into the hangar. Saves having to crawl back into the plane to get the hour meter reading or guesstimate from flightaware. I then generally finish the entry at home, so it's probably more like 600 cycles.

I have two logbooks, one digital logbook as an iPhone app and my paper logbook (same as yours), just for peace of mind. Most things on our planes are double for that same reason. That way, I make my entry on my iPhone right after the flight so I don't have to guess or look at notes, logs, etc. and then I just copy the entry from my iPhone logbook to my paper logbook at home. By the way, you started flying right around the same time I did. I took my first flight in December 2018 and got my license in July 2019. I have something like five pages left in my first logbook, approaching 300 hours :)

I use both electronic and paper logbooks. Recently I finished a book, and thought I might look at replacing it with a different style hard copy log. Oh brother, it’s amazing how many vendors offer logbooks for sale without displaying pictures of the log pages, or pictures too small to read.

D3C5A1A4-FABE-425E-8DA6-3BF8B55A3F70.jpegI’ve got a few. Some have held up better than others. I went electronic a few years ago, but I still keep the paper up to date. Instead of using a service, I entered all the data myself over couple of months. I found it fun. Remembering some flights like it was yesterday, and others were “who the hell’s airplane was that”.

Back