Marking hangar floor

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
It’s a bit of a challenge to fit all the planes into the hangar, especially trying to minimize movement of planes that aren’t going flying that day. I have an arrangement mostly figured out but I want to mark the floor with guide and stop lines to make it easier to repeat.

I used duct tape for this before but the fabric glue part kind of permanently attached to the floor and the color part separated from it. Basically exactly the opposite of my goal.

What have others found works best to mark a hangar floor that won’t come off on its own but will come off cleanly when desired?

PRTrfcPntYlwGL_L.png

Didn't read the last part, but I think it'd come off with a floor scraper.

Some of us have a dirt floor, so use a rattle can spray paint to mark the center, and a stop line so as to not ram the tail into the back wall. ;)

What kind of marking do you need to do?

360_F_282828719_zs3UCnSeoNGKc9B9D0GJT8X91W9t9njz.jpg

2” blue, 3M masking tape. It’s not long lived if it gets a lot of traffic, but it comes up clean and retains visibility reasonably well.

Scotch Delicate Surface Painter’s Tape 2080

3M specifies that it can be removed cleanly for 60 days.

3M also has warehouse floor tape.

There’s also gym floor tape.

I haven’t tried any of these.

Sidewalk chalk

yes it comes up easy, but it goes down easier

I keep one of those buckets of it in the hangar

Just line up the crankcase vent oil stain on the floor with the vent tube.

Just line up the crankcase vent oil stain on the floor with the vent tube.
Lol, so true in some hangars I see.
Luckily mine does not leak oil...yet!
I got around to this last night after seeing this thread yesterday.
I am lucky I have smooth sealed concrete floor and white 3M duct tape worked good IMO.
I already had the roll in stock for when I tape the air intakes closed on the wings during the winter.
It will wear out and get dirty and I will replace it then. Was easy to put down. I have adhesive remover I use to remove the adhesive when that time comes.
IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

I highly recommend this stuff for removing adhesive, safe for paint and will remove all adhesive including dried contact cement without hurting paint, plastic etc.
IMG_0055.JPG

Last edited:
Or with MEK which is about where I’m at with the stupid duct tape residue. :confused:
This stuff is way better then anything to remove adhesive, especially better than MEK, lacquer thinner or any kind of solvent.
This is 40 year old contact cement.
IMG_0061.JPG

I used about 2 oz on old red shop rags, maybe 10 minutes. Let it soak a little and rub it off. Did not hurt the paint. I have been using it for many years at work for decal removal and installation on paint jobs. By far the best I have ever found.
IMG_0066.JPG

If I had one of those, I'd probably take it to work and paint extra lines. Make the rows longer and add some arrows. So that people who always followed the arrows, rules and lines would be trapped forever at the end. I'm pretty sure some people would have to leave their cars and walk home.

Back