Any Hunters in Here?

Nothing silly about hunting with a AR, and for hauling it around, it’s designed for that.

The tripod is used for the hogs, set up and you can pan and cant quickly and accurately to your next target, for most other hunting you’re doing it’s not that important.

The nice thing with the LPVO optic and that rifle is at 1X it’s a red dot site which makes it useful for closer range stuff, at full mag it’s plenty good enough to 500+ yards, a AR10 with a LPVO is a great everything rifle.

616-E0-C90-9805-44-E8-989-C-4339556-DDCF7.jpg

One of mine, this isn’t a LPVO, but it has a offset red dot sight, works just as well as a gamer rifle at the range as it does hanging out in a tree stand, now I have a closet full of rifles

If could only have one rifle for everything, it would be a AR platform 16-18” barrel with a LPVO, low power variable optic, which is a scope that can go out to just 1X so it works as a red dot sight, or can zoom to 4-8X depending on the model, making it great for most missions that require some reach.

Saw this one online and thought it was a mean machine. $2,500 in parts to build though, so a bit out of the price range I'm going for.
m1bbkdors3391.jpg

Ideally 100-150yds is where I'd be most comfortable and where I'd sight the optics anyway. Since I'm not planning on using this particular gun a ton, I'd just buy once cry once on the glass to avoid being frustrated by losing zero all the time.

Vortex is great, no questions lifetime warranty, plenty of competition people taking top rankings with their glass.

Same with that PSA rifle, they stand behind their products and the AR types like them, it’s not a JP, but do you really need/want a full tilt boogie competition rifle?

The Mossberg Patriot rifle with a scope in .270 Winchester is a great compromise of power, weight and cost.

Unfortunately, it took me six months too find mine. A local gun store had one in stock and it surprised me, since I had been attempting to order one for all that time.

An LR-308 (AR-10) can be built for cheap and chambered in several larger calibers. They are not as light as the AR-15 based rifles, but very powerful.

I don't know how I know all this, because the only gun I own is an air rifle after that tragic boating accident when I lost all my firearms...

Vortex is great, no questions lifetime warranty, plenty of competition people taking top rankings with their glass.

Same with that PSA rifle, they stand behind their products and the AR types like them, it’s not a JP, but do you really need/want a full tilt boogie competition rifle?

When I was observing some of the AR-type forums/groups they seem to get pretty snobby about their different branding. It was almost impossible to see what was a bad brand and what was being chastised because it wasn't JP/Daniel Defense/etc. so I gave up trying to decode their banter.

where the hogs are a huge nuisance.
More than just a nuisance. TX sees $50+M per year in damages with over $1B per year in damages country wide. While a some of the rotor hunts are pay-to-hunt in the name of pig control, there are a number of private outfits that specialize in professional aerial pig extermination and use a variety of aircraft. Regardless, it still fun to do.

Saw this one online and thought it was a mean machine. $2,500 in parts to build though, so a bit out of the price range I'm going for.
View attachment 107588
Not directed at you, but whoever took the picture…magazine loaded, bolt forward and safety set to fire seems like a dumb way to leave a gun in the house.

The Mossberg Patriot rifle with a scope in .270 Winchester is a great compromise of power, weight and cost.

Unfortunately, it took me six months too find mine. A local gun store had one in stock and it surprised me, since I had been attempting to order one for all that time.

An LR-308 (AR-10) can be built for cheap and chambered in several larger calibers. They are not as light as the AR-15 based rifles, but very powerful.

I don't know how I know all this, because the only gun I own is an air rifle after that tragic boating accident when I lost all my firearms...

Be careful with that air rifle, you'll shoot your eye out.

Not directed at you, but whoever took the picture…magazine loaded, bolt forward and safety set to fire seems like a dumb way to leave a gun in the house.

Depends on who lives in the house.

Isn't that rule number two? NEVER leave a firearm unsecured!

Just some guy online. I agree that it's not a great way to keep a firearm, but a lot of those guys fanaticize about intruders breaking into the house so they keep them at the ready for that .00001% chance that occurs. All of our stuff stays in a gun safe as I have little ones around.

My deer hunting is all shotgun (12ga Ithaca 37 with slug barrel) because that's all Connecticut allows on state land; .243 is the minimum here on private land.

30-30 might be another option if you're not looking for long range, I've always wanted a classic lever action.

.. You don't want to be fumbling with a bolt action in those circumstances.

Note that when properly worked on by a good gunsmith, a bolt action can be operated very quickly... quick enough to shoot rapids in CMP/NRA matches (10 shots in 60 seconds with a mandatory mag change).

Assumes facts not in evidence such as whether or not there’s any cartridges in the magazine or in the chamber, especially for a staged photo.

One of the safest (and .mil approved way) of storing a M4/M16 is with a closed bolt, after pulling the trigger (in a clearing barrel), which requires the safety to be off and until the charging handle is cycled, the safety lever cannot be moved to the safe position.

If you are wanting a decently good rifle and scope package, I'd definitely recommend a PSA rifle (PSA is a great source and usually has good pricing and deals) and a Vortex optic. My knock-around coyote/truck gun is a PSA AR-15, and despite years of use and abuse has never malfunctioned once, and is accurate as a laser. I have a couple of different rifles that have Vortex 4-16x scopes and have no issues with either. Vortex's warranty is unbeatable. Send them the pieces, and they send you a new one, even if you ran it over with a truck.

Note that when properly worked on by a good gunsmith, a bolt action can be operated very quickly... quick enough to shoot rapids in CMP/NRA matches (10 shots in 60 seconds with a mandatory mag change).

10 shots in 60 seconds with a POed feral hog charging you might be tough. A lot of guys down south I know that go looking for hogs usually have a high caliber pistol as a back up weapon just in case they get charged by one.

a bolt action can be operated very quickly...

But I am left handed....

I know, there are some very fine left handed bolt actions. One of my left handed friends has a right hand bolt action, but it has not hindered him one bit when shooting. He can get off 3 shots quicker than Lee Harvey Oswald...

10 shots in 60 seconds with a POed feral hog charging you might be tough. A lot of guys down south I know that go looking for hogs usually have a high caliber pistol as a back up weapon just in case they get charged by one.

be aware that, for a bolt action match rifle, the 60 seconds course of fire is: load the mag, close the bolt, fire 5 rounds, change mags, fire 5 rounds. A service rifle (e.g., "AR-15") doesn't get it done much quicker.

But I am left handed....

I know, there are some very fine left handed bolt actions. One of my left handed friends has a right hand bolt action, but it has not hindered him one bit when shooting. He can get off 3 shots quicker than Lee Harvey Oswald...

I'm a Southpaw that writes, throws, and kicks lefty, but shoot guns and pool righty. Fairly sure I am right-eye dominant, which likely accounts for that preference.

For this exercise, we won't be at ground level. However, if I were trying to go after them at ground level I would probably want something stout for close-quarters when they're too close for a rifle. I don't think my 9mm handguns would be a smart choice as you could unload the 10-rd mag and a good-sized hog would still be steaming ahead.

For this exercise, we won't be at ground level. However, if I were trying to go after them at ground level I would probably want something stout for close-quarters when they're too close for a rifle. I don't think my 9mm handguns would be a smart choice as you could unload the 10-rd mag and a good-sized hog would still be steaming ahead.
And thus my vote for a lever action rifle in .44 Magnum. Out to 100 yards it's fine for most uses.

You said 250 yds. Hogs.

Pick a caliber that’s flatter shooting so you don’t have to mess with hold-over so much.

Pick a caliber that’s got energy enough to do the job at that range.

Pick a caliber that you can find ammo at a big-box store, local country store, and borrow your hunting buddies’.

30-06 or 270; 7mm Mag maybe

Bullet choice (style, grain) will dictate success based on animal hunted and range. The 30-06 and 270 will get you all North American game and are commonly found in stores. Plus you can sell the rifle easier later if needed (ubiquitous).

If my average hunting skills can hunt elk at 300 yds with a 270, your hogs are good as dead.

30-06 and 270...the Cessna 182 of hunting...

I’ve taken a small (<100 lb) hog at a deer feeder in Texas from 25 yds with a 9mm pistol. Could I do it again? Probably never. Lucky shot. I was young and it was a foolish try, but we were with friends, drinking and checking traps...

Instead of a bolt action gun or a semi-auto, it might be fun to use a lever action. There might be a number of used Savage Model 99 (or 1899) rifles available in a good caliber for deer and hogs and at a reasonable price. (I'm familar with the model 99, not familar with other lever action rifles - except maybe the winchester 73 ... but those would be very expensive.... very very cool, but expensive).

Sure, most of the ones out there would have wood stocks, but they were intended to be taken for walks in the woods for hunting... probably none of them have fancy wood.

You don’t need an auto for hunting hogs. 308 and 7.62 ARE the same thing. 223 is fine for hogs and legal for deer in many states, only matters if it is in the state where you are hunting.

buy a simple, cheap bolt rifle in 223, 243, 308, or just about any common caliber. 300BO is a waste of time.

I hunt a lot, and have killed hundreds of hogs with a 223, from a helicopter.

Happy to hear it either way! The family hunts during bow season as well, but if my toying around with their compound bows is any indication of how a hunt would go, I may as well stay at home lol!
Well since SoonerAviator started the related but useless post branch of this thread I will proceed down that road...

I usually carry a 6mm Mauser, that my Dad built, when deer hunting. Which is kind of silly because one of the main reasons he quit carrying it was it was heavy (Birdseye maple stock) and he thought he might shoot an elk if the opportunity presented itself so he upgraded to a Remington 7mm Mag. I have threatened to get an old open sight 30-30 to carry, just because it is lightweight and easy to carry, and because a deer would probably have to be attacking me for me to shoot it with the gun, otherwise I am much more likely to just take a photo of it. Photos are a lot less hassle to bring home and venison isn't high on my favorite food list.

I also feel it bit silly carrying the heavy modern scoped rifle all over the mountain just to watch the old guy in our camp get up from the campfire walk over, lean up against a tree and shoot a deer about 75yds away with his old open site 30-30.

Brian

Wow. Really surprised at some of the ‘advice’ in this thread. Venm diagram of ‘hunters’, ‘eaa pancake breakfast’ and AARP members describes a lot of the comments here.

I haven't hunted in years. Mostly hunted deer with buckshot, but I used a .243 for deer. Dad has used .270 bolt action for deer for several decades.... many many one shot kills. Good rifle. Good caliber with plenty of penetration. I have no idea about hunting hogs, but .270 is what I'd go with, all else equal, but only because I'm more familiar. Once we did some target practice on a 1/4 inch thick plate steel. That rifle punched clean holes right though.
Hard to go wrong with 30-06 either I'd suppose...classic...Either are pretty much the same.
Here's a thought... stop by your local ammo store and check availability and pricing of the ammo.

If you’re going to have one rifle I’d suggest a Remington 700 30-06. The 700 is a great time tested rifle. The army uses is as their standard sniper rifle since the 80’s I think.

30-06 allows you to use lower grain bullets for whitetail and heavier grain for bigger game.

Throw a good scope on it and it will serve you well for many years.
Same. An old one chambered in 30-06 or .270 depending on where you hunt... the new Remingtons 700s are junk

I've been an avid hunter for most of my life. I believe the best advise would be to first pick a caliber that you believe will best fit all/most of the missions you wish to accomplish. second pick the rifle/optics package that best fits your budget and taste. Most of the calibers suggested above are all good choices for a variety of game. Personally I have used/hunted with 22lr, 9mm, 45acp, 5.56/.223rem, 270, 308/7.62nato, 30.06, 6.5 creedmore, 7.62x54r, and even good 'ol 50cal which is entirely to much fun. Each caliber has its strengths and weaknesses, just read about the differences and what suits you best then pick the right weapon, then consider a little training or refresher especially if its been a while and then enjoy :D

Another vote for Remington M700. But I'd recommend .308 vs 30.06.

Holdover in a 308 isn't crazy enough vs 30.06 to warrant a .06 and if the rifle is light the recoil on the 30.06 gets old fast, especially if playing at the range. I would happily (range) shoot 50-70 hand loads with a M700 in .308. After about 20 shots in 30.06 it gets old quick.

AR10 - very fun - but wicked heavy for hunting.

Given a choice and partly Navy nostalgia - I'd take a Springfield M1A over a AR10 if only considering .308 in semi-auto. They were so fun to shoot. Seemed like a nice end to the old-style combat rifles. Also heavy though but maybe that shorter barrel squad/scout thing is lighter (never held or shot one).

Reloading .308 is pretty easy and with a progressive loader 100rds are out pretty quick.

I just wish there was a 10rd box magazine extension for the Rem 700. Plus it would look kinda cool. if a Magpul stock could be swapped out it would be just right.

I've been an avid hunter for most of my life. I believe the best advise would be to first pick a caliber that you believe will best fit all/most of the missions you wish to accomplish. second pick the rifle/optics package that best fits your budget and taste. Most of the calibers suggested above are all good choices for a variety of game. Personally I have used/hunted with 22lr, 9mm, 45acp, 5.56/.223rem, 270, 308/7.62nato, 30.06, 6.5 creedmore, 7.62x54r, and even good 'ol 50cal which is entirely to much fun. Each caliber has its strengths and weaknesses, just read about the differences and what suits you best then pick the right weapon, then consider a little training or refresher especially if its been a while and then enjoy :D

Part of the issue is that since I'm not a rifle guy, I don't know what fits "best". 30-06, .270, .308/7.62 are all .30 caliber rounds with different charges. I don't own anything chambered in those and I have little experience shooting anything but 7.62 in an AK47 at the range. Not exactly a lot to go on with regard to my personal experience. I've read a bit on the differences and pros/cons of, say, .308 and 30-06, or .270. However, the amount of drop or effect of windage may be negligible at distances I'm considering currently. Whichever route I go, I'll certainly be going to the range and running through a few boxes of ammo to see what the round does at different distances. Always good to have a refresher.

Most likely there is not a round in the chamber. If the AR-15 is not cocked, the safety cannot be put into any position other than "Fire". If you want to activiate the safety , you must cock it. If I had a AR-15 (lost all my guns in a tragic airplane baggage door incident), it would be stored exactly like that. Loaded magazine in weapon, hammer not cocked, safety not activated. I don't keep rounds chambered in weapons with free-floating firing pins (like the AR-15). I also don't chamber a round in-doors with such a firing pin design, given the slam firing risk (albeit very low).

If I had any pistols, they'd be stored fully loaded, with a round in the chamber and the hammer already ready to rock.

Try loading a firearm in a high stress situation and you will think twice about keeping your emergency defense weapons unloaded. Do a little competitive shooting with a timer running and you'll learn just how bad you are at quickly loading a gun.

Last edited:
Oh and I forgot to add .. my go to hunting rifle is a Savage Axis in 270win with a nice middle of the road 3-9x40 optic.

My sons go to is a Savage Axis II in 6.5 creedmore and also a middle of the road 3-9x40 optic.

Both are fairly light weight (synthetic stocks), and both should be good for most anything your going to run across in North America. Just pick the appropriate round, weight, and performance and presto ... hunting :D lol

REM model 700’s are great, but I’ve a fondness for the Win model 70. Bolt action goodness!

I recognize the numerous advantages of synthetic stocks, but I’ll pick walnut every time. Classic!

Part of the issue is that since I'm not a rifle guy, I don't know what fits "best". 30-06, .270, .308/7.62 are all .30 caliber rounds with different charges.
All of those cartridges are suitable and ethical for everything except a grizzly bear in North America.

Go to bass pro in Bricktown and see how many of each rifle and how much ammo they have for each caliber and the decision is made.

Hint: until Uncle Sam drops 7.62, this is a no-brainer.

Back